No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well done Ray on deciphering the Will!! That was an achievment in itself!!

Glad you are at last making headway with those Whitcombs and would like to think that in some small way, I have helped! They certainly have an interesting history.

I assume you still want those lookups at the Portsmouth Record office when I eventually get there?

Will be in touch again in the not too distant future.

Lesley

Comment

• I have just joined and would really love some help with the following.

Just as a bit of background, I was born in Hampshire, went to school in Wickham then my parents to our family to Australia. I returned in my late teens and worked at The Green for a company associated with Camper & Nicholson. Now that I am back in Australia I would really like to tie up a loose end to connect my gt gt grandfather to the Brown(e) family / Viscount Montagues.

I grew up with the story, as did my father and his siblings, that Anthony James Brown(e), 1791-1855 Companion of the Order of the Bath was the civil engineer involved with building the Portsdown Hill Forts and that he lived in Portchester Castle. It is believed he died at the opening of one of the Forts, although his death certificate apparently says either Fareham or Portchester. Recently discovered his birthplace was Glasgow, and he was baptised at St Thomas', Portsmouth 3 months later.

Apparently his parents were Anthony BROWN and Elizabeth (Bett?) CAMPION who were married at Alverstoke 2 July 1780. However, I don't know if this Anthony BROWN was a Viscount Browne, whether my gt gt grandfather was born before this marriage, or whether the date is correct. When I found the Pallats Marriage Index 1780 - 1837, the microfiche was only partially copied and didn't show much more than the bride and groom.

Hoping for help with this one.
      hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

• Hello hscott21c! First can I say Welcome to FTF!

I am not too sure what you are asking me to find. If it is a record of the marriage of Anthony Brown and Elizabeth Campion I think you will find that records of that date, ie 1780 will not show much more information other than the Bride and Grooms names and witnesses names.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley thanks for your speedy reply. Yes, I was hoping to get a look up showing the witness names in the hope that they were family members.

Can you suggest anywhere else or another way of finding out dates and further details for my gt gt grandfather?

Regards

hscott21c
          hscott21c

Comment

• Hello again hscott21c. I will check out the Parish Records at our local Study Centre for you to see if there is anything else to be found

I suggest you post you questions on the the Research Board as there are some very knowledgeable people on there only too willing to help. Sorry but I do not come into this category!! LOL I can only offer to do Parish Record lookups for you.

Will let you know either way if I can find anything of interest for you.

Lesley

Comment

• hscott 21c lookup

Checked out the marriage of Anthony Brown and Elizabeth Campion for you today and as I have already mentioned, not a lot more info than you already know.

The marriage was at Alverstoke St Marys chuch by Banns and the witness were Mary Mountaine? and as far as I could make out, Benjamin ?. I did photo copy the record but it is not very clear and I don't think it will scan very well.

I did notice that both parties signed the register themselves and not the usual 'X the mark of'!!

If you would like to take a chance with the scan I will need your private e mail address. You can PM me privately if you wish.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley

Thanks for doing this look up I will PM you for that scan as you have got my interest going now and you never know where / whether info might come in.

Taking up your suggestion re Research Boards.
                hscott21c

Comment

• Oh that's so lovely, even though I can't quite make out Benjamin's name. I have seen the surname Mountaine on FreeReg so the other witness's surname is plausible.

Thank you so much - I'll just keep plugging along in another direction to make good on those family stories.
                  hscott21c

Comment

• Lesley

Another brick in the wall of Whitcombs!

I have a William Flowers Whitcomb who Married Henrietta Clarissa Freed at 18 JUL 1819 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England - according to the IGI.
                    I would be very useful to know the Witness names, especially as the Parenthood of William is an issue!
                    Also Henrietta was about 18 at the time so would have required consent.

Ray

Comment

• OK Ray,

Will see what I can find. Possibly not until next week now though.

Your Whitcombs are very good building brick walls aren't they!!!!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley - I have just come across your fantastic thread. Before posting a (potentially) large amount of requests, but in manageable amounts (!), can I assume that you do look-ups for baptisms, marriages and deaths ONLY in the Alverstoke / Gosport (including Forton) area?

In order to make things as easy as possible what information ideally do you like to work from - obviously name / date - but are familysearch references helpful?

Any advice you can give would be most appreciated and I look forward to posting and learning more about my family.

Comment

• Hello Bertie!

Welcome to FTF!

I am prepared to check the Parish Records, that is Baptisms, Marriages and burial records which are on Microfiche at the local study Centre. All I really need is names and dates and if possible the church but am prepared to check the main churches for you. Like you say, Familysearch details are fine if you have found them on there they sometimes will even name the church.

As long as you are not in too much of a hurry although I do try to get results ASAP!

Post away!

Lesley

(Forton Area included!!) That is in Gosport. I do not do Portsmouth look-ups though.
                          Last edited by Punchs mum; 28-05-10, 17:52. Reason: added to posting

Comment

• Thanks Lesley - Happy for you to respond when you can, as and when! Here goes:

Archibald Robert ADAMS: Chr. 16 Dec 1887 St. Luke, Forton [he is the last of 9 children and the only one where I can find a chr. record! If I give you, another time, the names and Year / Qtr of the others, would it be too much of an effort to find them - I know familysearch do not have all the records, so it's poss the records are there!]

Samuel ADAMS: Died Naval Hospital, Haslar, 16 Oct 1887, but I don't know if he was buried there or at the church

James SPARKMAN: chr. 19 Jul 1808 Alverstoke

Henry SPARKMAN: chr. 20 Jan 1811 Alverstoke

Ann SPARKMAN: chr. 07 Jun 1814 Alverstoke

William SPARKMAN: chr. 02 Apr 1817 Alverstoke

Ann SPARKMAN and John BROWN: marriage 12 Mar 1832, Alverstoke

Also, I have several births AFTER those held on familysearch - year and qtr - are these enough for you to do more recent (later C19 and early C20) lookups for christenings?

Thanks again - I'll post more on another occasion.

Bertie

Comment

• Bertie

I have had a lot of help through this site and just wanted to continue this effort....

Noted that there are a lot of Browns and Sparkmans on the following site.

www.knightroots.co.uk

Regards
                              hscott21c

Comment

• Hi there - thanks. I know knightroots and have got quite a lot from there

Comment

• Anthony James Brown(e), 1791-1855 Companion of the Order of the Bath was the civil engineer involved with building the Portsdown Hill Forts and that he lived in Portchester Castle
                                  My attention was caught by the ref to Portchester Castle. Part of my maternal ancestry has only slightly more recent connections.

Aside from that, have you tried:
                                  1. The Institution of Civil Engineers - archives
                                  2. The London Gazette online
                                  3. The Times Digital Archive
                                  4. The British Library C19th Newspaper Collection

No 2 is free
                                  Nos 3 & 4 may be available to you through your library membership (as it is to me from Hertfordshire Library Service).

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Christine

Thanks so much - I'll try having a look at the London Gazette and will be heading off to my library this afternoon.

Regards
                                    hscott21c

Comment

• Originally posted by hscott21c View Post
                                      Christine

Thanks so much - I'll try having a look at the London Gazette and will be heading off to my library this afternoon.

Regards
                                      Altho' I have to go to the library for Ancestry, I can use my library card number to gain access to the newspaper archives from home.

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Lookup For RayWhit.

Not a lot of info at all for you Ray,

The marriage between William flower Whitcomb and Henrietta Freed was on 18/7/1819 at St. Marys Alverstoke. It was by banns and the witness was Wm Freed and John Gear who would appear to be the resident witness as his name is on a lot of the marriages!

Did come across a few more Whitcomb marriages.......there's surprise. Don't know if they are yours but just in case they might be there was

John White to Ann Whitcomb 3/6/1817 witness Thomas Barrett/Bartlett?and again John Gear!

Charles Whitcomb (minor) and Margaret shepphard (Minor) also in 1817 but forgot to check the witness on that one. These were also at St. Marys Alverstoke. by Licence

If you need more info on them, let me know!

Lesley
                                        Last edited by Punchs mum; 03-06-10, 07:44. Reason: added to post

Comment

• Look up for Bertie

Bertie

Again, not a lot of info but here goes

Archibald Robert Adams Bapt. St. Lukes 16/12/1887...........There were not baptism records pre 1900! Are you sure you have the right church? Did have a quick look through early 1900 but a lot were so faded they were illegible.

Samuel Adams who died 16/10/1887...... had a look at the local cemetery records but nothing there for him. Was he in the Navy at all? Did he reside at Gosport prior to death and if so what area? I can check a few other church burial grounds. Cannot check any records for Haslar Naval Cemetery as they are kept at Winchester but if you definately knew that is where he was I would look for grave. Lovely cemetery that is. (if lovely is the right word for a cemetery!)

Ann Sparkman marriage to John Brown. Have photocopied the record for you. If you PM me your private e mail address can scan it to you. They were married by banns in the chapel of St. Johns the Evangilist. Witness were James King and Eden? Harvey

James Sparkman son of James and Ann bapt. dates as quoted by you
                                          Henry Sparkman ditto
                                          Ann Sparkman ditto born Forton father Labourer
                                          William Sparkman ditto ditto born 4/10

Standing by now Bertie for your next batch!!

Hope some of this helps, sorry it is not more. If you look at Gosport Discovery Centre web site it tells you what is available at their Study Centre and the dates that are available.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X