Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesley

Thanks for looking up Mary Ann Whitcomb. However I cannot fit her, or Charles her Father, into my 'web of Whitcombs'. In fact I cannot find them in any other sources - the nearest is a family named Witcombe in Portsea, so far! The address of 70 Queens Road may provide a clue? Also, as this was an Army type marriage, the couple could have ended up anywhere! (we still had an Empire!)

Fear not though, at least eliminating a possible lead opens up others.

Also may I thank you for introducing me to the British Library Newspapers site. I purchased a Weeks subscription and 'spent many Hours? reading. Got my £s worth! To you, and any other readers, I recommend this site as an indispensable resource for Family research - that is if, as in the Portsmouth case, a publication covers the area of interest.

I made a few useful discoveries, not least the opening up of various family connections and lines of research. For instance from the 'Fatal Accident to a Child' case a certain Kate Martin Snelling and family was introduced to me - although this has risen many 'wild geese'! Why did Kate refer to Thomas Whitcomb as 'my Uncle'??? I can find no family connection although they must have been very close ties. Kate got married the following month, and I assume that the 'trip' with her aunt Mrs Jerrard and the Whitcombs was somehow connected? It all gets so o o o complicated! Of interest is that at that time Thomas appears to have been Landlord of the Anglesea Hotel pub (tap) - rather 'up market'?

Another article put a Mary Ann Whitcomb in rather a bad light (she got six months for robbery!) Not the above Mary I should add!!! but nevertheless the Wife of George Thomas Whitcomb (and daughter of a RN Master), shame! I always wondered why this line never developed - now I know! I'd love to have been a fly on the wall and seen the Whitcomb family's reaction, especially as the younger Thomas was about to enroll in the Police!!

Also it appears that certain Whitcomb(e)s were fairly visible in the Portsmouth, Gosport and IOW areas, and I can see some strong links between them. Example Joseph George Whitcombe was Mayor of Portsmouth in the 1880's, and Charles Benjamin Whitcomb was on the Alverstoke local authority. If I can verify the parentage of George Whitcomb, then he may indeed have been a Cousin to these 'famous' Whitcombs? The answer lies in Portsea though? or lost in time??

I will be back with more questions, don't fear.

Ray

Comment

• Also may I thank you for introducing me to the British Library Newspapers site. I purchased a Weeks subscription and 'spent many Hours? reading. Got my £s worth! To you, and any other readers, I recommend this site as an indispensable resource for Family research - that is if, as in the Portsmouth case, a publication covers the area of interest.
      Your info doesn't give any indication of where you live? My membership of Herts Library gives me online access to both the Times Digital Archive and the BL C19th Newspapers, using my membership number as password. I agree that both sites are really useful. Definitely worth checking what your local library service offers in this respect.
      Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• I live in North West London, under Brent. The library service is not that great even though they are part of a (inner) London library consortium. I found that I could sign up to Westminster libraries, and they are much better for this type of research. Via Westminster I have the Times and Mirror archives available, but not BL 19th Century.

London is a bit disappointing in this regard, so it is very refreshing to come across web sites like that of the "Parish of Hurst"
        ( http://www.hvs.org.uk/cdrom.html )
        which seem to have done so much to preserve their Heritage.

Ray

Comment

• Lesley

Hi, when next you visit the research center could you please look up the following marriage. I have an IGI reference, and a FreeBMD/GRO index entry, which appears to have an error in it - I will inform them depending on the results of the Parish register.

Entry, from IGI:-

LOUISA ELLEN WHITCOMB

Marriages:
          Spouse: HENRY BROWNE
          Marriage: 04 JUL 1839 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England

Even if the fiche is poor and only partially readable the information may be of use. Even a name with blank or guessed characters 'may' give just enough extra evidence when compared to other known names to 'forge' a link.

Good luck

Ray

Comment

• Hi Ray! Thought I had been made redundant for a while!! LOL. Will have a look for you when I am town next.
            Happy to try and help as always.
            Lesley.

Comment

• Look up for Raywhit1942

Hi again Ray,

Found the marriage you asked about and this is what I have found

Henry Browne of full age Bachelor Clerk Public Office Residence Gosport Father Isaac? Browne. Clerk in Public Office.

Louisa Ellen Whitcomb OFA Spinster Residence Gosport Father George Whitcomb Labourer

Married Holy Trinity Church 4/7/1839 (both signed!)

Witnesses John Batchelor
              Annie (or Amie?) Meu? Sorry can't read it but have photocopied if you want me to send it to you.

As a matter of interest John Batchelor was also witness to the other marriage on the same page!! I think maybe there were professional witnesses back then as I have seen this before!!

Hope this will help you resolve your problem.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thanks for the look up. Interresting, but may not be the one I was thinking of????? The Louisa , daughter of George was baptised in 1821, so this one may be too old - depends on any baptism delay. I cannot find any ref to Henry Browne after this marriage, I wonder what 'type' of public clerk he was?

Please send me the copy you made, do you mean post? My address is on all of my emails.

Ray

Comment

• Hi Lesley

If you have in mind to visit anywhere that has relevant fiches for St Thomas's, Portsea, I'd be grateful if you could do a checking-look-up for me. Full details are on the Requests board, because I know that Portsmouth isn't really your thing.

Thanks
                  Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Christine. I have no immediate plans to visit the Portsmouth Records Office but really I should as I need some lookups for my self!! I have only been once before and didn't find the staff very helpful! Also, the photocopies from the fiche reader are nearly 3 times what I pay in our local Study Centre!! Still I suppose even 3 times to cost is better than the new GRO prices. I will make a note though of what you are looking for and if I do go over to Pompey in the not too distant future, will look for you. It won't be until the weather gets warmer though!!!LOL

Lesley

Comment

• Thank you, Lesley.

Christine

Comment

• Lesley

Another 'Twitter' from me!

When next in town could you look up the following (from IGI):-

SARAH ANN WHITCOMB
                        Marriages:
                        Spouse: WILLIAM LOCK Family
                        Marriage: 25 NOV 1822 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

I don't think she is a 'main branch', but there are several possibilities, so dad's name would be helpful.
                        They did tend to recycle names a lot then, and Sarah Ann seemed to be a very popular combination!!!

Ray

Comment

• Sorry a PS

Could you add this one to my Alverstoke requests, IGI stuff as well

MARIA ANN SOPHIA WHITCOMB

Christening: 01 OCT 1826 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

Parents:
                          Father: GEORGE WHITCOMB
                          Mother: MARY

I think she is the sister of 'my' Thomas Whitcomb. Sometimes the Father's profession is stated, this may be useful, thats if it can be read!

Ray

Comment

• OK Ray.

Off to have a look this afternoon if the Microfiche is available!! Fingers crossed

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Raywhit 1942

Well, Ray, Not sure if what I found will give you more questions than answers!!!

Re.The marriage of Sarah Ann Whitcomb and William Lock. Marriages 1822 do not give the name of the father. I should have known that! BUT one of the witnesses was a Geo.Whitcomb! The other witness was Jane Parsons. Over to you!!!

Re Maria Ann Sophia Whitcomb. Parents, as you know were George and Mary father was a
                              Carpenter!

Hope this information helps

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley

Not a bad, or unexpected, result. Sarah Whitcomb could have been one of several possibles. If a George Whitcomb was a witness then I suppose he wasn't Dad? But he could be a 'close' relation which is interesting. There were a lot of Sarah Whitcombs around in the 19th Cent, My youngest Son is 'reviving' the habit by marring his partner Sarah next month!!!

Maria Ann Sophia was more likely to be 'my' George's, and the fact that he was a Carpenter more or less confirms it. Because of her complicated first names I've managed to trace her Marriage to a certain William Miller, plus on to her Grand Children! Sometimes Parents help us researchers by giving an unusual name.

Ray

Comment

• Lesley

Sorry I stand to be corrected on Geo Whitcomb as witness for Sarah Whitcomb? It seems that sometines a Parent could be a witness, so perhaps Geo' was her dad? According to dates on the only census (1851) I have on her family, and the IGI index, she would have been about 17 at the time, so required parental consent.

Ray

Comment

• We are never too old to learn something new Ray! I didn't know that.

Lesley

Comment

• lesley

In my delving into the IGI I have come across several contradictions. One that concerns me now is who married Sarah Flowers??? According to one record :-

JOHN WITCOMB OR WHITCOMBE

Spouse: SARAH FLOWERS

04 NOV 1804 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

Another batch number gives James instead of John, the date and Church being the same! So James & John married the same girl!

When next at the research center could you look this up and see if its James or John? Record is possible a 'difficult' one! sorry!

Also is there any info' on Brewers in Gosport circa 1800? Several Whitcombs were in the trade, and unfortunately went bankrupt. I believe the Brewery was in the Middle Street area & connected to the 'Old Northumberland' pub?

Ray

Comment

• Ray, Have just had a look at the IGI records. although there are three entries for Sarah Flowers marriage in 1804, the first two are only submitted entries. The last one being an extracted entry I would be more inclined to think was the accurate one. The one where she married James Whitcombe!!

However, I will check it out for you when I am in town next.

Also, will look into the Brewers c.1800 of Gosport. Have a book somewhere about Public Houses in Gosport. Will see what I can find and get back to you.

Lesley

Comment

• Ray.

Yes, as I thought it would be. Sarah (with and h) married James Whitcombe. Witness was Wm? Flowers and the other one was one the resident witnesses!! He was on a lot of the certificates so no relation obviously.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X