HMS Belfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMS Belfast

Is there anyway I could confirm my Uncle `s presence on HMS BELFAST . Is there a crew list ? His name was Patrick O`Brien ,from Dunbar, East Lothian,Scotland , served in WW2

EP

Do you know actual dates?
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Sorry , not exact dates ,but I am presuming it was 1939 /45 I have a photo of him on ship but it is a group photo, a close up, so can`t actually see much of the ship. Just what looks like a gun barrel ,long, and square shaped tower .

EP

Comment

There will probably be logs for the ship, but very unlikely to mention individual crew. Your best bet would be to obtain his service records - they charge £30 and there would be a few months wait. It's best for next of kin to apply, or you can apply with permission of next of kin. However, if he died more than 25 years ago, you, assuming you're not next of kin, should get the names of ships he served on, with dates. You'd need to know his date of birth and supply a copy of his death certificate. Details of how to apply are here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...vice-personnel

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I ought to ask my Dad which ships he was on, when some records become generally available it might be useful to know. Wonder if he can remember!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Did he by any chance marry in Scotland during the war? If he did, it’s not unusual for his rating and ship to be named in the occupation column on the certificate or perhaps in the residence column if he had been granted a few days shore leave to get married. I have found a few men’s service details that way.

Comment

GallowayLass No he married later .

Annswabey Thanks for the info. Will try that route . I found the ship was involved in the Arctic Convoy ops.through watching a programme a few days ago It would be great if I could find out he was on it . I managed to secure the Arctic Star Medal for another uncle on that mission ,when they decided to award them a few years ago .

Comment

I have found this site useful for the details of war service once you know what ships he sailed on. My Dad served on 8 different ships during WW2 and have been able to follow where he was and what action he was involved in throughout the war. Service records give you the exact dates he served on each ship.

eg HMS Belfast
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                X