Rev William Charteris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev William Charteris

The Rev.William Charteris was chaplain to the Medical Mission ,in Smyrna (now Izmir ).He died there in 1885. Could anyone help with finding a plaque/ Headstone /grave for him .I can`t seem to find anything , which was odd as he was a very well respected member of the community. He is commemorated in the family cemetery at Whampray, Dumfrieshire ,Scotland .

Have you checked alternate spelling? Charteris is sometimes spelled Charters.

Comment

Something to keep in mind for when archives are fully open again.

Records of the Church of Scotland's Board of World Mission records

Comment

Thanks Galloway lass, search rooms are only open for business needs ,but hopefully will be operating fully soon .

Comment

did see this in the newspaper thought there maybe more

rev.JPG
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 16-07-21, 22:49.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you for this cbcarolyn , I didn`t have this, most interesting

Comment

I can't find anything else, maybe as he died abroad it didn't make many of the British papers.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

So, this is listings for Smyrna, correspondence with the Foreign Office regarding the British Naval and Military cemeteries, and some entries are just "British Cemeteries". Again, it might be something to look for if you're moving down the list of possibilities. I wouldn't, personally put this near the top.
                https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library

I don't know if you can contact these people, but they seem to know about the Medical Mission in Smyrna

And a history of their ancestor and the Medical Mission, mentioning Charteris
                www.levantineheritage.com/note145.htm They may have a good source for records.

I'd also add - sometimes I have found bulletins by the Church sponsoring the mission, giving periodic details of all their missions. The ones I found were online thru (I think) google books. I don't see any signs of that for this mission, but I do wonder if it would be worth contacting the Church of Scotland directly (I think they were the sponsoring body for the Mission?). Just rereading the thread, and reading the link to Church of S records. Still, I wonder if contacting the Church directly could be useful.

Comment

Thanks PhotoFamily for all the information ,had a good look through . I think it would be a very good idea to contact the Church of Scotland , and I intend to do just that .

Appreciate you taking the time
                  EP.

Comment

Working...
                  X