Baptism record 1840 Essex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism record 1840 Essex

Please can anyone access the original Baptism record on 4th October 1840 Chigwell Essex St. Mary the Virgin, for James Joseph Foster (Forster) Parents James and Hannah. This would really help me clarify my research. Thank you Pam

There are only transcriptions online. You would need a subscription to Essex RO to view the image.

What else from the image would you need? The only thing missing would be the father's occupation and possible residence.

The 1841 census shows occupation as a sawyer and address as Broom Hill, Chigwell.
    Is this what you needed?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you I have seen the 1841 census. It is the original record for his Baptism that I need to see I will try another root.

Comment

there were a number of Essex ones on Familysearch, not indexed, but looking and there seems to be a gap. There are other records on there, which might give something? like the church accounts in the parish chest

Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

No images are online. The only way to view them is to have a subscription for Essex RO or visit the RO or view at a FS Family History Centre - neither of which are available at the moment due to Covid19 restrictions. Unless of course some one has a sub for ERO and willing to look it up. My sub ran out in October. :(
          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
            No images are online. The only way to view them is to have a subscription for Essex RO or visit the RO or view at a FS Family History Centre - neither of which are available at the moment due to Covid19 restrictions. Unless of course some one has a sub for ERO and willing to look it up. My sub ran out in October. :(
            I was referring to the parish chest images on line, sorry if I wasn't clear.

There are bishops transcripts images but not for 1840 only these
            Baptisms, burials, 1800-1837, 1847-1860; marriages, 1800-1836
            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Even the record office sometimes don't have them either. I emailed Essex RO in 2014 regarding my gt grandfather and siblings baps all being missing from the films. I had transcribed the Tollesbury PR's for FreeReg and a whole swathe were missing. They wrote back:

"Thank you for your e-mail of 25 November concerning Tollesbury PR baptisms between 1877 and 1900.
              As you have noted there is an actual gap in the register. It is sadly sometimes the case that incumbents failed to record events in registers and the information is now lost. We have no other record of baptisms for Tollesbury so can only assume that this is unfortunately the case here.
              I am sorry that we have been unable to give you a more positive answer."

I assume from that there wouldn't be any BT's either. Would be mine that are missing!!
              Kat

Comment

The gap could also be caused by the Register never having been deposited at the Archive. It has been known for them still to be with the church or under a chuchwarden's bed or somesuch. Not sure you would ever find out unless you were local to the situation though.

Anne

Comment

all mine in Harlow were destroyed in church fire, and then re written from memory I am guessing!
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                  X