Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JayG
    replied
    Thanks Anne. I'll send a PM when I get organised.

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Yes I am. I passed the Archive the other day and thought 'haven't been there for a while'!
    Put your request on here or send me a PM if that is better for you. If you include your email address in a PM I can send any findings directly.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• JayG
    replied
    Hi Anne

Are you still able to do lookups?

Thanks
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Thanks so much Anne.

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    GallowayLass
    I went to the Archive this morning. They do have West Cumberland PR films so I looked at the baptisms in parishes listed below from October 1917 to April 1923, in case Edward and his brother Joseph might have been baptised together. Sadly there was no sign of any Turners. Sorry! Anne
    Harrington, St Mary
    Whitehaven, Christ Church
    Whitehaven, Holy Trinity
    Whitehaven, St James
    Whitehaven St Nicholas

Edit to say: St Peter, Kells was not represented in the list of parishes and I suspect it may be more modern? ...... Yes, just found a website which says it was founded in 1939.
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 03-03-17, 10:20.

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Thanks Anne. I think we now have a bit more info from indexes etc, as I have been told he married again and had a daughter Blanche, now deceased.
    I am hoping to confirm parents as Archibald TURNER and Amelia WEBSTER. We are still in the dark as to his occupation and residence.
    2nd son Joseph born 1922. 30 September??
    Amelia died in 1925.
    Archibald remarries in 1928 to Edith WALKER. Ni idea what happened to Edith. This is one odd family, I cannot find Blanche or her mother anywheres in 1939 either together or separately.
    Archibald dies in Whitehaven in 1932
    Blanche born 1929 dies 2009 in Carlisle.

More importantly, I have Archibald born 1884 and his first census says born High Harrington. Kelly's directory in 1925 shows him as a private resident at 14 Archer Street, Harrington. Obviously not exactly Whitehaven for him!! All his vitals are recorded as Whitehaven except for the first marriage which was Bolton.
    I suspect Edward may be Harrington as well.

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    OK well that's a start then! Lets hope the person registering the death knew that was the case and wasn't generalising like they do on cesuses! I'm really sorry but it will be next week now before I can go. The archive is only open to the public Wed to Fri but I'm a bit less busy next week so will try and mske it Wednesday.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
    Really sorry, GL. I just don't have enough time for such a large search.
    Anne x
    Anne, a wee update. I have just had a message from a grand daughter. Nobody has his birth cert as far they know but his death cert says he was born in Whitehaven. Presumably then it was the town itself, or do English registrars use registration district of birth on the death cert too?

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Really sorry, GL. I just don't have enough time for such a large search.
    Anne x

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Now that I don't actually know for certain. The only thing I had to go on was the GRO indexes for Edward and his brother Joseph's births and Joseph's marriage. Unfortunately UKBMD.org hasn't done these records yet so I could see a subdistrict.
    Thanks for trying.

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    GL, do you know that Edward was born actually IN Whitehaven? If it was just the registration district then it could have been in any of the 28 places in the Registration District, which I am afraid is too much of a task to search for. I will go to the Archive on Wednesday if you let me know it was actually in the town that he was born.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    True but don't really want to go to expense of cert if can help it as he is only father of a married in.
    I got his birth date from GRO death index.

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Yes, I'll try and help. However Whitehaven records tend to be in Whitehaven record office. I think there are films in Carlisle. It may be next week before I can go.

Can I ask how you know Edward was born on 5 Oct 1917? You would (of course you know this!!) get the best information from his birth certificate!

Anne

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Anne, could you please help with the following?

Who were the parents of Edward Stanley TURNER born 5 October 1917 in Whitehaven and died 1972 in Heywood, Lancashire?

I have established from GRO indexes that his mother's maiden surname was WEBSTER but I cannot find a marriage in Cumberland of a female WEBSTER to a TURNER from 1910 to 1917. Also from GRO indexes, there were no earlier TURNER/WEBSTER children. Edward must have been their first and there was also a Joseph born 1922 whom I think is single and living away from home in Barrow in Furness on the 1939 register so must also be deceased. His dob on the 1939 register is 30 September 1922 which matches with a Joseph TURNER died in 1985, Central Cleveland.

I cannot find Edward on the 1939 register. He did not marry till 1940 in Heywood, so all I have to go on would be his baptism. The family were C of E and GENUKI gives these as the Whitehaven churches;
    Christ Church, Preston Street, Church of England
    Holy Trinity, Irish Street, Church of England
    St James, High Street, Church of England
    St Nicholas, Lowther Street, Church of England
    St Peter, Cliff Road, Whitehaven, Kells, Church of England

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-02-17, 11:44.

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Yes, still happy to go. Let me know what you are needing.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• Seekzfamily
    Guest replied
    Hello Anne,
    Are you still available to visit the Carlisle Archive. I live in the south so I cannot go myself.
    More than happy to pay any costs involved.

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Yes, I am happy to go to the Archives. I think you are correct in thinking photocopies are 50p each.
    You could send a stamped addressed envelope and pay the £1 in stamps if you like.
    Will PM you.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• joka
    replied
    Hello Anne,
    Are you still visiting the records Office? If so, i wonder if you could help me to obtain two photocopy entries - one in the Arthuret baptismal register and the other in a Stanwix marriage register? if you ask the staff to do this it cost about £13.50. If you do it yourself it costs £1. the only trouble is that I am rarely in Carlisle!
    The time I was there I just sent the entries to the printer, paid my money and came away. Happy to send stamped addressed envelopes - cash etc if you can help. If not, I understand and will await my next visit to Carlisle.

Leave a comment:

• deetur
    replied
    Hi Anne - hope you don't mind. I've sent you a PM. ;D Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Alan Head
    replied
    Anne,

When you didn't respond right away I assumed you were on holiday someplace nice. I'm glad to find out I was right!

I had a great time in Carlisle yesterday (they had to kick me out at closing time!) and was able to get almost everything I wanted. I left with copies of the will index for the Head surname, and may order some copies once I figure out which ones are likely to be most relevant.

Thank you for your kindnesses to strangers!

Alan Head

Leave a comment:

Working...
X