Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Oooops, sorry I didn't see your message ..... been away in New Zealand! Hope you got on OK on the Saturday opening. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• Alan Head
    replied
    Anne,

Never mind! It looks like I'll have an opportunity to get up to the Archives for the Saturday opening hours this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Alan Head

Leave a comment:

• Alan Head
    replied
    Anne,

I'm looking for more information on the following records found on FamilySearch:

Agnes Head Christened 1640 in Camerton, Cumberland, daughter of Henry Head
    Jane buried 1642 in Camerton, Cumberland, daughter of Henry Head
    [unnamed] buried 08 Aug 1642 in Camerton, Cumberland, spouse of Henry Head
    Dorothy Head Christened 12 Jan 1644 buried 19 Apr 1645 in Camerton, Cumberland, daughter of Henry Head
    Henry Head Christened 25 Sep 1649 in Camerton, Cumberland, son of Henry Head

Do any of the records name the mother of the children? Was Jane, buried 1642, Henry's wife or daughter? [the records don't seem to be complete or accurate]

Was this the same "Henrie Head" who married "Jennett Jacktion" 07 June 1642 in Lamplugh, Cumberland?

Is there any evidence that he is the Henry Head Christened 15 September 1605 in Dalston, Cumberland, son of Robert Head?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Alan Head

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    I've sent you a private message, Alex. Click on "Notifications" at the very top.

Anne

Leave a comment:

• Loggaman
    replied
    Hi Anne
    If you are at a loose end Im trying to trace my maternal Grandmothers family. The information I have is John Clarke and Martha had a daughter Francis Caroline Clarke b 11 May 1854, Whitehaven Cumberland. I think they may have been some kind of non conformists as they dont seem to appear anywhere. Francis married Alfred H Taylor 1875 in the United Methodists Free Church in Manchester and had 4 children non of whom show up on any BMD records but do on the census for 1861. Im not sure whether Im not doing things right.
    Thanks
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• Tony Cummings
    replied
    Hi Anne, No I was not aware of that bap in Alnwick, probably because she always has Kendal for birthplace!
    That will teach me to be more open minded when searching, thank you very much for your efforts,it is much appreciated.
    Best Regards Tony
    PS. If you need anything from Tyne & Wear archives mail me at tonyandjoan2000@yahoo.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Hi Tony
    Not good news I'm afraid. They only have microfilm of the Bishops Transcripts for Westmorland parishes at Carlisle. The main records will be at the Kendal Archive. Having said that the BTs should provide the answer.

The heading for the baptisms was "the parish of Kendal" so I don't know which church it was, presumably Holy Trinity. I checked from 1818 to 1822 and I have to say they were not at all easy to read in some parts! Now I've got home and checked out familysearch.org it looks as though I did see most of the very few CHAMBERS records, as follows
    29 Apr 1818, Ann d of Roger and Elizabeth CHAMBERS, weaver of Kendal
    20 Sep 1818, John s of Anthony and Ann CHAMBERS, mason of Kendal
    7 Jul 1822, Ann d of Anthony and Ann CHAMBERS, waller of Kendal

I did NOT see this other one which is on familysearch.org. (probably because it was illegible but it could have been missed off the BTs.)
    11 Jun 1821, Mary d Anthony and Ann CHAMBERS

Have you seen the only Mary Chambers with your stated parents 1819-1821 was baptised at Alnwick, Northumberland on 7 January 1821 according to familysearch.org.

Anne

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Hi Tony
    Yes, it looks a though microfilm copies are held at Carlisle (I'm quite surprised though!). I'll make a note and see what I can find, probably tomorrow if we continue with NO snow as we have done so far!

Anne

Leave a comment:

• Tony Cummings
    replied
    Hi Anne, would you please do a look-up for me whenever you next go to Carlisle RO.
    It's for a possible baptism of my GGGrandmother Mary Chambers at Kendal,Westmoreland
    between 1819 and 1821.Her parents are William Chambers and Isabella ? As far as I know
    Holy Trinity Kendal is the only possibility for that time frame and according to Genuki the records
    are held at Carlisle. Thanks in anticipation. Tony Cummings

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Hi Meek

I've been to the Archive and its bad news and good news!

Using Familysearch.org I found the baptism of Ellen at Christ Church Carlisle. I also checked to see if there were any other baptisms and found Thomas Long baptised in 1855 at St Mary's Carlisle. Both Christ Church and St Mary's were city centre churches. Here are the transcriptions for both baptisms:

Christchurch, Carlisle
    11 Dec 1853 Ellen Long d of John and Margaret Long, Unwin Street, labourer

St Mary, Carlisle
    29 Jul 1855 Thomas Long s of John and Margaret Long, South George Street, labourer

No mention of Margaret's maiden name. You would need one of the children's birth certificates for the maiden name. Unfortunately it does not look as though Ellen's birth was registered but I think this is Thomas's
    Jun/Jul/Aug 1855, Carlisle, Thomas Long
    There is a death registration which could be his Jan/Feb/Mar 1859.

You could buy Thomas's birth certificate which should show Margaret's maiden name if it is the correct registration. According to the 1851 and 1861 censuses she was the only Margaret Long in Carlisle at that time. If it was my family I would definitely risk the £9.25 price of the certificate to find the name!

I wonder if you are aware that someone has a tree on Ancestry claiming Margaret's maiden name was HANLON? I'm not sure if this is correct or just a guess. They haven't got Thomas on the tree so maybe they don't have his birth certificate.

I'm away now for a couple of weeks. You probably know how to order birth certificates but if not ask on this forum about it. Don't pay more than £9.25!
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Thanks Edna, I'll check that out on the actual record in case there's any more information. That's saved me some time looking through several parishes as I often don't look at familysearch for later records!

Anne

Leave a comment:

• clematised
    replied
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1473014

11th Dec 1853 Ellen Long baptised at Christ Church Carlisle, parents are John and Margaret Long

Edna

Leave a comment:

• meek
    replied
    Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
    Hi Meek

I'm happy to have a try, but I'll only be able to find a baptism if one exists These don't usually say what the mother's surname was. It doesn't look as though there's a birth registration for Ellen (using FreeBMD) so there is no certificate to buy with the mother's surname on.

I've had a look at the family on the 1861 census and see they come from Ireland, which means they could be Catholic and not baptising children in the local parish church.

I'll try and pop in to the Archives next week and see what I can find. If I don't manage that, I'm away until 13th October so don't think I've forgotten you!!
    Best wishes
    Anne
    Hi Ann Thank you The long are not catholic (I do not think). Thank you again. Meek

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Hi Meek

I'm happy to have a try, but I'll only be able to find a baptism if one exists These don't usually say what the mother's surname was. It doesn't look as though there's a birth registration for Ellen (using FreeBMD) so there is no certificate to buy with the mother's surname on.

I've had a look at the family on the 1861 census and see they come from Ireland, which means they could be Catholic and not baptising children in the local parish church.

I'll try and pop in to the Archives next week and see what I can find. If I don't manage that, I'm away until 13th October so don't think I've forgotten you!!
    Best wishes
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-09-12, 10:44.

Leave a comment:

• meek
    replied
    carlisle

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
    I've just paid my first visit to the new Carlisle Archives. A wonderful new building attached to an attractive old house. So much improved from the previous cramped conditions at Carlisle Castle.

I am happy to do any research there for anyone. I don't have any family of my own from Cumberland. I need excuses to continue visiting!

Anne
    Hi Can you help me next time you are in Carlisle Archives, look to see if a Ellen long birth 1853/ 1854 Carlisle dad John Long mam margaret Long need margarets maiden name and ellen birth. Thank you Meek

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Aitch. I've sent you a PM.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Hello Aitch. I'm not sure what I will find but I'll make enquiries at the Archive next time I'm there - probably next week now as I'm embroiled in another enquiry.
    Not had to look for a house before so it will be interesting. Is there anything else you can let me know about it which might be useful? I'm thinking census references; the names of the CLARK family; the grid reference of the farm; if you have any of that.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• Aitch
    replied
    Hello Anne,
    Are you still offering your research services?
    I am trying to make some enquiries about a property that my relatives used to live in, so I don't know if this is something that can be done?
    They used to live at a farm called Carrholme, Armathwaite in the late 1800's / early 1900's.
    Essentially, what I am interested in, is who owned the property back then?
    The names were CLARK.
    Look forward to hearing from you.

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Sent you an email about Greystoke, Judith.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Have sent you a PM Judith, with my email address.

Anne

Leave a comment:

Working...
X