German Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemetery: German Stuff

Well, anything....photos/information etc etc. I don't want to put exactly where I am in Germany here....but if anyone needs anything, please send me a message. Obviously, I'd need reimbursement if it involved a longish train journey etc (would send copies of tickets), but I'd do what I could

Hi, I My Great Grandad married a Elizabeth/betsy Von Spendingbourg/Von Spriedenberg and I have seen many other spelling variations
    I wondered if you may know if this is German ?
    Kind regards......John

Comment

Hello John

Sorry .....I missed this post. It certainly sounds German, although you could be talking about another German speaking country. Did they marry in Britain &, if so, when ?

Comment

Hi, Well My great Grandad Thomas Harvey married Elizabeth/betsy Von Spendingbourg/Von Spriedenberg/Von Spendinbury on 6th August 1883.
        Her father was Henry Francis and on the 1851 census it has him down as a Fra B Subject, and in1871 were born is stated as France.
        His father on his marraige cert is John a shoemaker.
        On the 1881 census I have a John Vonthingy listed as being from Germany
        So now I am not sure ?
        Kind regards......John
        Last edited by john_harvey; 05-04-11, 17:53.

Comment

The surname VS is certainly German rather than French....maybe she/her father were born in France for some reason. I'm a bit confused about John Vonthingy....what relation is he, do you think ?

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
            The surname VS is certainly German rather than French....maybe she/her father were born in France for some reason. I'm a bit confused about John Vonthingy....what relation is he, do you think ?
            Sorry, the "John Vonthingy" was just to emphasize that I have seen so many spelling variations.
            John Vonthingy doesn't exist of course.
            So you think it is definatley German then ?
            Kind regards......John

Comment

No, it's OK, John...knew that wasn't the real name. Well, it's certainly German in origin, but that doesn't mean she was born in Germany

Comment

Hamburg Cemetery

Hi, Are you within shouting distance of Hamburg Cemetery?

Comment

Originally posted by MaggiStrang View Post
                  Hi, Are you within shouting distance of Hamburg Cemetery?
                  Hi, Thanks for your reply.
                  No I am in London UK, sorry.
                  Regards....John

Comment

Hello John,

Is it note possible that he came from the Alsace province bordering on Germany. It now belongs to France, but was part of Germany till after the first world war.
                    Regards, Eileen Mcnaught

Comment

Working...
                    X