This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record Office: Somerset

OK folks, I think I'm fit to start back if you have anything for me!:smilee:
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Looking for a wife

Hi Vivienne,

I am tracing my maternal line, I have a grooms full name, a brides first name, a location and approximate date. Unfortunately I am unable to get to record office, or purchase certs on the off chance at present to establish the brides surname. Would you be able to help?
    The search is for a wedding in Bath 1865 Apr May Jun quarter, from the index there are five possible wives.

I have John James Neil born Marylebone Middx 1836 and Emma born abt 1840 in Bath, they were married some time in Q2 1865 in Bath.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
    Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Hi Andymak

I've just checked the RO & they have a fiche reader available this afternoon so I'll pop down after lunch.
      Last edited by Vivienne; 16-10-09, 11:13.

Comment

Andy,
        I don't want to do Vivienne out of a job, and I'm sure she will probably give you a better answer than I can, but don't forget that all the Bath BMDs have been fully transcribed on the BathBMD site - Bath Births Marriages & Deaths

It appears that John James Neil married an Emma White/Emma Adam at St Mark's Church, Lyncombe, Bath.
        There are two entries for the same marriage (same reference number) so I presume she was either Emma White, formerly Adam, or Emma Adam, formerly White.

Hopefully Vivienne can sort it for you! :smilee:
        Elaine

Comment

Curious! There is no Emma Adam on the FreeBMD index on Ancestry for that year I wonder what the explanation.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Maybe she was Emma White, formerly Adam. The GRO index may only record the entry under her actual name at the time, e.g. White - but when the transcriptions have been done for BathBMD it's possible they have recorded her under both names.

Hopefully Vivienne will have the answer for you later!
            Elaine

Comment

Well I wish I had seen your post before I went Elaine. Bath is a nightmare if you don't know the parish.
              I searched Bath Abbey, Holy Trinity, Bath St James, Bath St Michael, Bath St Saviour, Bathampton, Bathealton, Batheaston.
              While I was doing that the lovely Andy behind the counter was checking out the census & found that Emma was born in Bathwick
              So, I searched Bathwick St Mary & 2 parishes ajacent to Bathwick, Claverton & Walcot St Swithin but nowhere could I find a marriage for John James Neil.
              While I was doing that Andy was checking the Bathwick, Somerset 1861 census for Emma born around 1840. He found only 2, Emma A Fisher b abt 1841 & Emma White b abt 1838.

At that point, I gave up & came home.:emb:

Now I know what parish I'm looking at I'll check it out next week, do you want a copy of the fiche, they cost 40p last time I got one?

Comment

Bless you Vivienne, thank you for all your hard work, I will dig around a bit more and see what I can find out.

Comment

Hi Vivienne, would details of children help?

Comment

Hi Vivienne
                    I have maternal & paternal peeps I would like to get confirmed.
                    First, Henry Puddy, b 9 July 1815, Mark, Somerset son of Richard Puddy b 30.12.1787,& Elizabeth Gilling b 4.7.1788. There are numerous Richard Puddy's and I'm not sure which one is correct. I have Richard as son of John Puddy b 12 Jul 1767 & Mary Purnell b. 3.6.1763. They were all born Mark, Somerset. My line goes back further, but a relative has a different line and I dont know who is right. I'll save the maternal line for another time.
                    Last edited by jood; 03-11-09, 23:50.
                    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Comment

Not sure which day I'm going but will do Judy.

Andy, do you want that print out or just my transcription?

Comment

Hopefully I'll get a fiche reader tomorrow as I have arranged to meet someone at the RO in the afternoon.:Wink:

Comment

Hi Vivienne, the print would be great if you can provide that for me, I have been digging around and still cannot clarify things any further. As said I have all the childrens names but am not sure when mothers maiden names started appearing in the indexes.

Sorry but I only found out it was Bathwick while you were down the RO else I would have said sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by andymak View Post
                            Hi Vivienne, the print would be great if you can provide that for me, I have been digging around and still cannot clarify things any further. As said I have all the childrens names but am not sure when mothers maiden names started appearing in the indexes.

Sorry but I only found out it was Bathwick while you were down the RO else I would have said sooner.
                            Bathwick wouldn't have helped initially Andy, it was the info that Elaine found on that Bath website, the actual church. There are so many churches that come under Bath.
                            Mothers maiden names only started to appear in the index 2nd or 3rd qtr 1911.
                            I'll take a look see if there is anything else that pops up if I have time after I have found the info for Jood.

Comment

Many thanks in advance for anything you can give me, it is greatly appreciated. I have several of these types of queries across the outer reaches of my maternal tree in part caused by a researcher who provided some info for a family member which I am now confirming, and partly because I am currently only able to use free records. Most of the loose ends are in London and Suffolk, this is the only one in Somerset.

Once again thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi Vivienne,

I am revisiting my Mitchell/Pike ancestors. Was that a groan I heard!!

At some point you found the marriage for John Mitchell and Ann Pike in East Pennard (1 Mar 1813). One of the witnesses was James Pike.

I have looked to see if I could find any Pike baptisms with James as the father which I can’t therefore I am thinking that James may be Ann’s brother.

You were not able to find any baptisms for Ann in East Pennard or the surrounding area therefore it would seem that Ann was baptised somewhere else.

The question is where?

I have looked on freereg and there is a baptism for Ann Pike 23 June 1793 Midsomer Norton parents Israel and Sarah. There is also a baptism for James Pike 7 Jan 1791 same parents. This would fit my theory that James and Ann were brother and sister. And, John and Ann Mitchell were living in Kilmersdon in 1841 (census return).

The problem is proving this theory. Would it be possible to see if there is a death record for Israel Pike in East Pennard or surrounding area? I hoping that family moved to this area after the children was born and this is why Ann Pike gives East Pennard as her Parish on the marriage register. If on the other hand Israel died in Midsomer Norton then it is back to the drawing board.

I can not find a marriage for Israel and Sarah but I think it is likely that it was before 1785 as there was another child Mary born 1785. There is also a possibility that Israel came from outside the County as there seem to be some Israel Pikes in Devon.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Update - Looks like Israel died in Midsomer Norton (source freerg)so it's back to the drawing board!!

Sandra
                                Last edited by Sherbertrose; 20-10-09, 12:29. Reason: Information found

Comment

Andymac

Arggghhh, I've just spotted something I should have noted before I started searching.
                                  I have your printout Andy, just need you to pm me your address so I can send it. Emma married as White a widow & her father is given as Charles, something that could be white but is not clear & underneath that is Adams. I searched unsuccessfully for an Emma with father Charles Adams.
                                  I have just spotted on the printout the lovely Andy gave me & Emma White has only a mother listed, I wonder if that is a clue, I'll do a little more digging next week.

Comment

Jood

Sorry Jood, I'm a very slow typist & I have just sat here for about 45 mins giving you all the info I found, pressed post reply & it vanished into the ether.:madd:
                                    I can't do it all again now, I'll be back later.
                                    I will just say that I couldn't find your Richard or any Richard Puddy in 1767 or '66 or '68

Comment

I'll be going next week now Sandra, have printed your post so am good to go, possibly Tuesday.

Comment

Hi Vivienne,

Thank you for offering but if you look at my update you will see that Israel died in Midsomer
                                        Norton - so as I said back to the drawing board!!

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                                        X