• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No problem, as I said, it isn't urgent

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
      Hi Glen,

Can I ask for a look-up when you have a minute?

I'm interested in the baptism of Mary Bates in Leckhamstead on 3rd September 1797. According to Familysearch, her parents are George and Penelope. However, there are a load of other baptisms in Leckhampstead around the same time to George and Eleanor Bates, and no others to George and Penelope, so I'm wondering if Penelope is a mistranscription, especially as I can't find a marriage for George and Penelope, but there's a convenient marriage for George Bates and Eleanor Durrant in 1792.

No rush at all, just if and when you have time.

Mary
      I had to put extra time on my parking on Friday & found myself with an hour to spare & your request in my pocket so went to the RO. I had a good look through the Leckhampstead register to familiarise myself with the names.

The entry for Mary BATES definitely shows parents as George & Penelope but as you pointed out there is no marriage for George & Penelope. The children's are 1792, 1795, Mary, 1800, 1803, 1808 & 1811. About 5 entries above Mary a parent is Penelope BRITTAIN so perhaps there was a slip when the entries were transferred from the day book. My feeling was certainly that Mary was the child of George & Eleanor & that the error was made at the time. The eldest child was Penelope but I don't see how that influenced anything.

I jotted down a few bits of info. which you may already have; if not let me know. I'm away for a few days but I'll send it on my return.
      Full marriage details.
      George's baptism.
      Burials of George's parents.
      Siblings names & baptisms.

There was also an interesting baptism a couple of months before George & Eleanor married:
      Mary BATES bastard of Mary SMITH & George BATES 1/4/1792.

Who & where did Mary marry? There may be some support from the witnesses. 'Sister' Anne had a George as a witness.
      Glen

Comment

• Gabriel Allen Buckinghamsire

Hi, I am trying to find out about Gabriel Allen who married a Rebecca Sharpe married 28 Nov1814 Chesham, Buckingham, England. I know they had at least one son Thomas born 1818 in Great Missenden. I think Gabriel may have been a widower at the time of his marriage. Any snippet of information would be welcome.

Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by barlykins View Post
          Hi, I am trying to find out about Gabriel Allen who married a Rebecca Sharpe married 28 Nov1814 Chesham, Buckingham, England. I know they had at least one son Thomas born 1818 in Great Missenden. I think Gabriel may have been a widower at the time of his marriage. Any snippet of information would be welcome.

Thank you
          For the record:

Wills database

First name Gabriel
          Middle name -
          Last name Allen
          Occupation  Dairyman
          Place Quainton
          Date of will 9/11/1806
          Date of probate 23/1/1807 (No Note)
          Inventory
          Codicil
          Notes
          Reference  DAWe: 125/69 DAWf: 110/117
          Condition of will
          Original Original Will
          Also:
          Contains opinions and comment on other currently published newspapers and magazines, a selection of poetry, essays, historical events, voyages, news (foreign and domestic) including news of North America, a register of the month's new publications, a calendar of forthcoming trade fairs, a summary of monthly events, vital statistics (births, deaths, marriages), preferments, commodity prices. Samuel Johnson contributed parliamentary reports as "Debates of the Senate of Magna Lilliputia."
          Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 11-12-15, 18:13.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• I have the Marriage Bonds and Allegations for Buckinghamshire.

There are four entries for a Gabriel Allen:

D/A/M/A/156
            Gabriel Allen 25 Glazier Quainton
            Martha Clark Quainton
            Quainton 2 October 1779
            1 item

D/A/M/A/157
            Gabriel Allen Plumber Widower Quainton
            Elizabeth Franklin Widow Quainton
            Quainton 7 April 1789
            2 items

D/A/M/A/158
            Gabriel Allen Labourer Widower
            Great Missenden Elizabeth Sharp Great Missenden
            Great Missenden 4 December 1808
            2 items

D/A/M/A/159
            Gabriel Allen Ludgershall
            Mary Tompkins Ludgershall
            Ludgershall 16 December 1826
            1 item
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• The probate record for a Gabriel Allen from 1865.
              Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 11-12-15, 19:14.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

• Thank you Elizabeth for taking the time to look for me, I know my Gabriel married Rebecca Sharp on the 28th November 1814 GS Film number 1999163
                Strange that a Gabriel married an Elizabeth S
                harp in 1808 in Great Missenden that is where Thomas the son was born in 1818 he also had a sister Ann born 1815. I have documentation to show that Thomas's parents were Gabriel and Rebecca. On Thomas's marriage cert is shows father deceased so I know Gabriel died pre 1840. So back to the drawing board maybe to search out the Sharp family. Once again thank you.

Comment

• When Oakham Picker sees this I expect she will be able to help you as she goes to Aylesbury frequently.
                  I go over sometimes but I'm not due to go for a few months.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Thank you
                    Sorry, only just noticed your enquiry, thanks for filling in for me Liza. I'll happily go in to the RO & see what I can find but it will have to be after Xmas now as I am running behind with my preparations.
                    Glen

Comment

• Glen, it's a manic time, isn't it? Have a lovely Christmas.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

• Thanks Liza. You too.
                        Glen

Comment

• That is so very kind of you, anytime will do thank you, may I wish you all a very merry Christmas

Comment

• Glen - thank you for your offer. I would appreciate it if you could find the following:

Mary WHITE burial: died Q1 1915 Amersham, age 69. Mary lived in Addison Road Chesham in the 1901 and 1911 census.
                            Thomas WHITE burial: died Q4 1936 Amersham, age 87. I have no address after 1911 (as above).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                              Glen - thank you for your offer. I would appreciate it if you could find the following:

Mary WHITE burial: died Q1 1915 Amersham, age 69. Mary lived in Addison Road Chesham in the 1901 and 1911 census.
                              Thomas WHITE burial: died Q4 1936 Amersham, age 87. I have no address after 1911 (as above).
                              Hi Bertie,

Unfortunately I have just returned from the RO so didn't see this before I went. I'll have a look next time I go.
                              Glen

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth for taking the time to look for me, I know my Gabriel married Rebecca Sharp on the 28th November 1814 GS Film number 1999163
                                Strange that a Gabriel married an Elizabeth S
                                harp in 1808 in Great Missenden that is where Thomas the son was born in 1818 he also had a sister Ann born 1815. I have documentation to show that Thomas's parents were Gabriel and Rebecca. On Thomas's marriage cert is shows father deceased so I know Gabriel died pre 1840. So back to the drawing board maybe to search out the Sharp family. Once again thank you.
                                I was half way through my reply when I pressed the wrong button & lost it all so here goes again. I'll do a bit at a time.

There was no baptism in Gt Missenden for Thomas but as you say you have documentation confirming his parentage & along with his marriage cert. & consistent pob in the census I believe you have the correct family.

I can confirm the 1814 marriage at Chesham.
                                Gabriel ALLEN (W) Rebecca X* SHARPE (S) Banns 28/11/1814 Wit: John AVIS Robert AYERS

X* denotes made her mark

I can also confirm that it was the same Gabriel who married Elizabeth in Gt Missenden as the signatures are the same.
                                Gabriel ALLEN (W) of Wiggington, Herts Elizabeth X SHARP (S) otp Licence Wit: John STEVENS James DOBSON Elizabeth X HOWLAND
                                Glen

Comment

Thank you
                                  All Gt Missenden

Gabriel & Elizabeth baptised Robert 21/1/1810, b. 25/10/1809 bur. 16/1/1812
                                  Gabriel bur. another son George 12/4/1812, the same day he buried his wife Elizabeth.

Gabriel & Rebecca baptised Ann 16/4/1815, b. 15/3/1815 living at Lower End & G. was a lab.
                                  Unfortunately she died from smallpox aged 5 & was bur. 23/9/1820 followed a week or so later by her father from the same disease.
                                  Gabriel aged 45 3/10/1820
                                  Rebecca aged 65 8/10/1840
                                  Glen

Comment

• Thanks Glen - I appreciate it.
                                    Last edited by Bertie; 07-01-16, 15:04.

Comment

• Gabriel's age at death & the fact that he was a widower when he married Elizabeth makes me think this could be his first marriage:

Wendover Gabriel X ALLEN otp Hannah X RANCH* otp Banns 20/10/1795 Wit: William PRUTTON John FRANKLIN
                                      * It looks like RANCH but RANCE seems to be a common name in the area. Gabriel didn't sign but it doesn't mean he couldn't have.

Gabriel & Hannah baptised 2 sons
                                      John 1/1/1797 bur. 21/12/1797
                                      William 22/4/1798 bur 20/6/1804
                                      Hannah was bur. 4/3/1800
                                      A Martha was also bur. 4/4/1810 - no idea who she is!!

Didn't have time to look at the Marriage Licence or the SHARPEs.
                                      Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                                        Glen - thank you for your offer. I would appreciate it if you could find the following:

Hi Bertie,

I'm sorry this has taken so long but I was waiting for more requests which haven't materialised so I went in today.

These dates are too recent to appear on the database & Amersham Registration District covers about 15 parishes. As they were living in Chesham it is likely they were buried there but burials in the parish churchyard stopped in 1858 so they would be in Chesham cemetery. These records are held by Chesham Town Council so contact them. I have found town councils elsewhere very helpful when enquiring about burials, providing plot numbers & detailed maps.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful
                                        Glen

Comment

• Thanks Glen for looking for me - I'll also take up your suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                                          X