Bucks RO Lookups - Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sandra.hossack View Post
    Hi, I am Sandra Hossack Nee Pizzey, In my family tree I have a zachariah Pizzey who married Elizabeth Snowden in 1796, they were both born about 1771, I have found them in the 1841 census and have had some luck with parish records, but although Zachariah died in 1854 I could not find him in the 1851 census, also I have noticed that the family names were very similar to those in the Berkshire records for Pizzey/pusey, such as Thomas, Zachariah, Thomas, William Daniel, Benjmin. I fell sure there must be a connection with these two families but as on the 1841 census it gives no place of birth for Zachariah, and I can not locate him on the 1851 census so have no place of birth, I am unable to sort this out, my Pizzey family first appear in Alperton, Middlesex, (the Harrow area), under the Hendon registration district, I wondered if you have come across this family or any connections. Best wishes Sandra

William Pizzey
    1796 –

Daniel Pizzey
    1799 – 1871

Thomas Pizzey
    1801 –

Henry Pizzey
    1804 –
    Still not sure if you think these are a Berks or Bucks connection but I checked the names & dates you gave against the database & there was no corresponding group matchup.
    Glen

Comment

• Many many thanks Glen. I will have a closer look at all the info you have found for me when in a less mosquito filled internet cafe.
      I really appreciate your hard work.
      If it's to be, it's up to me.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

• Hi Glen,

Please can you lookup a James Lucas. All I have on him is an approximate death of 1733. His Will was proved on 14 Apr 1733, Pollicot, Ashendon, Bucks. I have the Ashendon PR's, no luck there. The family seems to be spread over Wotton Underwood and Lower Winchendon. The Will mentions two Sons, John and James but no wife. Sadly there are no other dates and places mentioned apart from some land in North Marston.

TIA,
        OH
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Holborn View Post
          Hi Glen,

Please can you lookup a James Lucas. All I have on him is an approximate death of 1733. His Will was proved on 14 Apr 1733, Pollicot, Ashendon, Bucks. I have the Ashendon PR's, no luck there. The family seems to be spread over Wotton Underwood and Lower Winchendon. The Will mentions two Sons, John and James but no wife. Sadly there are no other dates and places mentioned apart from some land in North Marston.

TIA,
          OH
          I'm not visiting as regularly now as we are refurbishing the whole house & we don't move very fast but I'll certainly do it. I may wait until I have several requests or I may be able to pop in to the RO on one of my infrequent visits to town.
          Glen

Comment

• Thank you so much!

Comment

• Hello, I'm new to the forum, couldnt find anywhere to introduce myself, so straight in with the query.... I'm trying to trace my maternal grandmother, my mum was adopted so we havent much information at all. No idea where to start! The only information I have is...

my grandmothers name - Joyce Margaret Robinson
              Land Army Worker
              Olney Road, Emberton, Bucks.

my mum was born 5th April 1943 as Susan Margaret Robinson, born in Putnam House, Aylesbury, which we believe is an unmarried mothers home.

I'm trying to find out if my grandmothers address in Olney Road, was where she lived or if she was 'staying' there in relation to working as a land girl! I have no clues as to how to check electoral rolls for that road in 1942/43 or if there are any sort of parish records of who lived where! Its very hard as I dont know my grandmothers date of birth, but am kind of assuming she was around 18/22 ish! at that time! My mum was always told her 'real' mum came from the Newport Pagnell area and I suppose Emberton would come within that district? Any clues as to how I can find who lived at the address in Olney Road, Emberton even though I have no house number? Am new to all this, I'm loving it, but struggling! Any help/pointers much appreciated.... and Glen, seeing as it appears your the man with all the knowledge, I do hope your refurbishment is going ok!

thank you to anyone in advance of any help!!! :o) Alison.

Comment

• Originally posted by krohn67 View Post
                Hello, I'm new to the forum, couldnt find anywhere to introduce myself, so straight in with the query.... I'm trying to trace my maternal grandmother, my mum was adopted so we havent much information at all. No idea where to start! The only information I have is...

Land Army Worker

my mum was born 5th April 1943 as Susan Margaret Robinson, born in Putnam House, Aylesbury, which we believe is an unmarried mothers home.

I'm trying to find out if my grandmothers address in Olney Road, was where she lived or if she was 'staying' there in relation to working as a land girl! I have no clues as to how to check electoral rolls for that road in 1942/43 or if there are any sort of parish records of who lived where! Its very hard as I dont know my grandmothers date of birth, but am kind of assuming she was around 18/22 ish! at that time! My mum was always told her 'real' mum came from the Newport Pagnell area and I suppose Emberton would come within that district? Any clues as to how I can find who lived at the address in Olney Road, Emberton even though I have no house number? Am new to all this, I'm loving it, but struggling! Any help/pointers much appreciated.... and Glen, seeing as it appears your the man with all the knowledge, I do hope your refurbishment is going ok!

Hi Alison,

Welcome to the forum. As you can see I haven't looked in for a few days as we're right in the middle of Stage 1 refurb. Another couple of weeks should see that finished but then we're off for a few days R & R. After that hopefully I shall get into the RO.

I don't know much about adoption but you've obviously succeeded in the first step - finding you mum's birth name. Looking at Civil Registration there was a Joyce M ROBINSON registered in the Newport Pagnell district in June 1921 so your info. appears to be correct & so the Olney Road address is likely to be her home address.
                It appears she married a John G BAILEY in 1948 & died in 1995, her husband dieing the following year. Her parents would appear to be James A ROBINSON & Amy WESTLEY whose marriage was registered in Northampton district in 1920. This would all need to be confirmed with certificates. Take a look at our reference section to see how to get started.

When I go into the RO I can see if the electoral rolls have survived for that area & if so will confirm that the family lived there, hopefully.
                Glen

Comment

• Hello Glen, hope you are well. Next time you are in the records office I'd be grateful for a look up for the following please (no hurry!).

Sarah Higgs, there is a death on freebmd Dec qu 1876, Leighton Buzzard, age 35. I am wondering if this could be my husband's GG-grandmother. Not sure if you will be able to find a record of the burial in the parish records (apologies if this is Beds not Bucks, but I think some of the parishes in the LB reg district are in Bucks).

This is what I know about her:

Birth cert for husband's G-grandmother: 8th December 1869 at Heath Road, Leighton Buzzard, Jane Wright, girl, father George Wright, market gardener, mother Sarah Wright formerly Higgs, registered by mother, 31st December 1869.

I also have the family on the 1871 census: George age 30, born Bledow, occupation ag lab at Heath Road, Leighton Buzzard, with wife Sarah age 28, born Tring, son William age 8 born Tring, daughter Emma age 5 born Aylesbury, daughter Mary age 3 born Leighton Buzzard, daughter Jane age 1 born Leighton Buzzard.

I cannot for the life of me find a marriage for George Wright and Sarah Higgs. So I wonder if they were never married. Perhaps you might be able to have a quick look for this too, although this might be in Beds again. George Wright's eldest child William was born in 1863 according to census, but I don't know if Sarah Higgs was his mother.

George married Sarah Ann Cook in 1877, and married again in 1899 this time to Jenny Johnson, by this point the family had moved from Leighton Buzzard to Towersey in Bucks and then to Thame.

If this is Beds not Bucks, sorry, but thought it might be worth you having a quick look in the index in the RO next time you are there.

Many thanks as always.

Helen
                  Last edited by Helen in Bucks; 28-03-11, 11:27.

Comment

• Hi Helen,

I'm away for a few days R & R at the end of the week but hope to get into the Bucks RO at the end of the following week.
                    Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Holborn View Post
                      Hi Glen,

TIA,
                      OH
                      North Marston
                      James LUCAS of Nether Winchendon bur. 5/11/1732 Affid. 7/11/1732
                      Glen

Comment

Hello, I'm new to the forum, couldnt find anywhere to introduce myself, so straight in with the query.... I'm trying to trace my maternal grandmother, my mum was adopted so we havent much information at all. No idea where to start! The only information I have is...

Land Army Worker

The Electoral Registers don't exist for the 'war years' so I checked 1939 & 1945. Joyce's parents James Arthur & Amy were on the Emberton register for both years, firstly at 'High Street' & then 'In the Village' so the Olney Road address may just be Joyce's. However it does appear to be the correct family but you need certs. as I said before.
                        Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Helen in Bucks View Post
                          Hello Glen, hope you are well. Next time you are in the records office I'd be grateful for a look up for the following please (no hurry!).

Sarah Higgs, there is a death on freebmd Dec qu 1876, Leighton Buzzard, age 35. I am wondering if this could be my husband's GG-grandmother. Not sure if you will be able to find a record of the burial in the parish records (apologies if this is Beds not Bucks, but I think some of the parishes in the LB reg district are in Bucks).

This is what I know about her:

Birth cert for husband's G-grandmother: 8th December 1869 at Heath Road, Leighton Buzzard, Jane Wright, girl, father George Wright, market gardener, mother Sarah Wright formerly Higgs, registered by mother, 31st December 1869.

I also have the family on the 1871 census: George age 30, born Bledow, occupation ag lab at Heath Road, Leighton Buzzard, with wife Sarah age 28, born Tring, son William age 8 born Tring, daughter Emma age 5 born Aylesbury, daughter Mary age 3 born Leighton Buzzard, daughter Jane age 1 born Leighton Buzzard.

I cannot for the life of me find a marriage for George Wright and Sarah Higgs. So I wonder if they were never married. Perhaps you might be able to have a quick look for this too, although this might be in Beds again. George Wright's eldest child William was born in 1863 according to census, but I don't know if Sarah Higgs was his mother.

George married Sarah Ann Cook in 1877, and married again in 1899 this time to Jenny Johnson, by this point the family had moved from Leighton Buzzard to Towersey in Bucks and then to Thame.

If this is Beds not Bucks, sorry, but thought it might be worth you having a quick look in the index in the RO next time you are there.

Many thanks as always.

Helen
                          The only Sarah HIGGS burial on the database in 1876 was in Drayton Parslow which I thought might come under Leighton Buzzard but doesn't & when I checked it was a 2 yr old.

There was nothing on the database for the marriage & no sign of a baptism for daughter Emma in Aylesbury. George's baptism in Bledlow is there.
                          Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                            North Marston
                            James LUCAS of Nether Winchendon bur. 5/11/1732 Affid. 7/11/1732
                            Thanks Glen, much appreciated.
                            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

The only Sarah HIGGS burial on the database in 1876 was in Drayton Parslow which I thought might come under Leighton Buzzard but doesn't & when I checked it was a 2 yr old.

There was nothing on the database for the marriage & no sign of a baptism for daughter Emma in Aylesbury. George's baptism in Bledlow is there.

Glen, thank you for looking, the search continues, I have the Wright family in Bledlow going back a fairly long way, but have hit a bit of a brick wall with Sarah Higgs, thanks again, Helen

Comment

• Hi Glen

Could I ask a favour please? Next time it's convenient I would be grateful if you could have a look to see if you can find the birth of an Alfred Graham who states that he was born c 1843 in Fenny Stratford but neither I nor Elaine can find any sign of him. He also states at marriage that his father was Daniel, though I'm not sure I believe him
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  Hi Glen

Could I ask a favour please? Next time it's convenient I would be grateful if you could have a look to see if you can find the birth of an Alfred Graham who states that he was born c 1843 in Fenny Stratford but neither I nor Elaine can find any sign of him. He also states at marriage that his father was Daniel, though I'm not sure I believe him
                                  Not sure when it'll be Chrissie as I've visitors at the moment & then I'm away but hopefully within the next month.
                                  Glen

Comment

• Thank you Glen - no hurry
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Bledlow Registers

Originally posted by Helen in Bucks View Post
                                      Glen, what a great offer, thank you in advance.

If it isn't too much trouble please could you look up a baptism record in Bledlow for Daniel BUTLER, born around 1797 according to census info.

Thank you, Helen
                                      The Buckinghamshire Family History Society hold details of the registers for Holy Trinity Bledlow from 1590 to 1901. Searches are available by post or email. Go to the web site for more details bucksfhs.org.uk

Comment

The Electoral Registers don't exist for the 'war years' so I checked 1939 & 1945. Joyce's parents James Arthur & Amy were on the Emberton register for both years, firstly at 'High Street' & then 'In the Village' so the Olney Road address may just be Joyce's. However it does appear to be the correct family but you need certs. as I said before.
                                        Thank you so much for your help Glen, I have realised that the addresses from that time all appear quite vague! I seem to have had some success in locating living relatives, my mother's brothers and sisters, although I've yet to make contact. I am now stuck trying to find out about Amy Westley's mother, Mary Westley. It seems Westley is a very common name in the area! It would seem that by 1901 Mary was a widow and living with her two children Amy 1894 and Boyd 1889 and had a lodger a Joseph Towers, and although when i checked him out it appears that ten years previous he was in the Army with a John Westley, that John Westley doesnt appear to be Mary's husband, so not sure if there is a connection or just a coincidence! I cant seem to find a marriage for Mary Westley anywhere!,my great great grandmother and mother of Amy... I am now stuck... again. Hope you enjoy your time away, and thank you again for any help.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help Glen, I have realised that the addresses from that time all appear quite vague! I seem to have had some success in locating living relatives, my mother's brothers and sisters, although I've yet to make contact. I am now stuck trying to find out about Amy Westley's mother, Mary Westley. It seems Westley is a very common name in the area! It would seem that by 1901 Mary was a widow and living with her two children Amy 1894 and Boyd 1889 and had a lodger a Joseph Towers, and although when i checked him out it appears that ten years previous he was in the Army with a John Westley, that John Westley doesnt appear to be Mary's husband, so not sure if there is a connection or just a coincidence! I cant seem to find a marriage for Mary Westley anywhere!,my great great grandmother and mother of Amy... I am now stuck... again. Hope you enjoy your time away, and thank you again for any help.
                                          I've been having another look at the WESTLEYs & you definitely need Amy's birth cert. Joseph TOWERS may very well be her father as Mary's husband isn't although that said, he may still be named as father on the cert. In addition to being a widow in 1901, Mary was also a widow in 1891 as her husband died in the Mar Qtr that year. I'm pretty certain that Mary was born Mary STATON d. of John STATON & Elizabeth PLANT but you need to purchase the certs. Hope this helps.
                                          Glen

Comment

Working...
                                          X