Bucks RO Lookups - Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
    Please do not worry any more about this. I greatly appreciate all the work that you have done. Thank you very much.

I emailed Buckinghamshire County Council again to ask if I could be told if the father of William was Edward, and it is not; his father's name is Henry.

You can forget about him now :-)
    Hi Joy,

I was in the RO today & confirmed that they do not have the marriage register which does seem mighty strange that it has disappeared. Perhaps the last pastor walked off with it!!
    Glad you've managed to resolve the problem anyway.
    Glen

Comment

• Strange indeed :-)

Thank you again, Glen.
      btw still not found him in 1871.
      Joy

Comment

• Originally posted by Helen in Bucks View Post
        Hi Glen

Thank you for all the help you've given me so far.

I wonder if I could ask if you would be able to do a few electoral roll look ups for me? These are in the archives section of the Bucks RO so not as easily accessible, so if its too much to ask please let me know.

We know very little about my late father-in-law's family as they were estranged from him and unfortunately we have no living relatives that we are in contact with.

We now have his WW2 service records, and when he joined the TA in 1937 he was living at 32 Mill Way, Aylesbury, his mother Mary Miller of the same address is given as next of kin.

If you are able to check the electoral rolls for 1937/38/39 (not sure there was one in 1939 due to the war) and for as many years before that as you are able for 32 Mill Way, that would be really helpful. We know that after the war the family were in Granville Street, but it is the period from 1918 when my later father-in-law was born in Birmingham until the start of WW2 that is a mystery, his younger sister was born in Aylesbury in 1921, so we assume the move happened then, but I guess searching backwards from what we know in 1937 would be the only way to trace them.

Mary Miller was born in 1889 and was married in 1910, so I assume she would have been eligible to vote both because she was married and over 30 years old.

Many thanks for your help.

Helen
        I started in 1939 & from there back to 1935 incl. the Electoral Registers are organised by address.
        32 Mill Way was occupied by:
        1939 John & Florence Kathleen BREEN
        1938 Mary Wilder MILLER & James Edward HINDS
        1937 Mary Wilder MILLER & James Edward HINDS
        1936 Mary Wilder MILLER & James Edward HINDS
        1935 Mary Wilder MILLER

From 1934 back the Registers are alphabetical by name.
        Mary Wilder MILLER is the only person at 32 Mill Way from 1934 back to 1926 incl. 1928 was missing
        There was no listing for Mary Wilder MILLER from 1925 back to 1919 except for a plain Mary MILLER in 1922 living at 6 Nag's Head Passage.
        Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
          I started in 1939 & from there back to 1935 incl. the Electoral Registers are organised by address.
          1935 Mary Wilder MILLER

Mary Wilder MILLER is the only person at 32 Mill Way from 1934 back to 1926 incl. 1928 was missing
          There was no listing for Mary Wilder MILLER from 1925 back to 1919 except for a plain Mary MILLER in 1922 living at 6 Nag's Head Passage.

Glen, thank you so much for this info. I think my next step will be to establish where she was living when my late father in laws sister was born in 1921, so I think I will have to order the cert. Many thanks, Helen

Comment

• Hi Glen,

Please can you lookup the Lucas family in Lower Winchendon.

I have got back to Ann Lucas, born 1724, Baptised 20 Sep 1724 at Lower Winchendon. Parents James Lucas and Alice (NK). Parents and sibling details would be great.

TIA
            Last edited by Old Holborn; 27-02-10, 17:28.
            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Holborn View Post
              Hi Glen,

I have got back to Ann Lucas, born 1724, Baptised 20 Sep 1724 at Lower Winchendon. Parents James Lucas and Alice (NK). Parents and sibling details would be great.

TIA
              I'll see what I can find this Wednesday.
              Glen

Comment

Hi Joy,

I was in the RO today & confirmed that they do not have the marriage register which does seem mighty strange that it has disappeared. Perhaps the last pastor walked off with it!!
                Glad you've managed to resolve the problem anyway.
                Just to let you know that the kind lady at the council checked the name of Mary's father in case it was Edward and the names had been written in the wrong places but, no; this is what she said - No Marys Fathers name is not Edward
                Joy

Comment

I didn't see any children's baptisms but I was all over the place; will check again next time but I see Ann was from Tring so they may havebeen done there.

On the database, in addition to the 1820 marriage there was one for 1806 which I didn't look at but now think it might be a second marriage to Alice for the older Thomas. I'll check that next time too.
                  Hi Terry,

I forgot to look at these the last time I was in. No wonder I didn't see them - they were done as a job lot 29/6/1837 except for the youngest 3. The good news is that you now have their actual birth dates.
                  Parents Thomas & Ann living in Marsworth - Blacksmith.
                  Sarah 23/8/1820
                  Thomas 28/12/1822
                  Charlotte 30/4/1825
                  Elizabeth 15/11/1827
                  Ann 21/12/1829
                  William 8/11/1832
                  John 25/11/1834
                  Joseph 20/9/1836

Thomas LINES Alice DENHEY/DENIEY of Tring Banns 13/2/1806 Wit: Richard GRANGE Mary BUTTERFIELD All signed.
                  Their condition was not mentioned & there was no sign of a burial for Mary but according to the 1841 they would have been c. 35 & 30 repectively.

In addition to Thomas 1801, Thomas & Mary baptised Edward 6/11/1803. There were no children for Thomas & Alice.

Burials in Marsworth:-
                  Alice 72 4/5/1847
                  Thomas ? 8/5/1849
                  Elizabeth 23 4/3/1 851
                  John ? 3/12/1854
                  William 27 6/5/1860
                  Thomas 69 7/11/1869
                  Glen

Comment

Hi Glen,

TIA
                    Children baptised to James & Alice at Lower Winchendon
                    James 29/6/1719
                    John 9/4/1722
                    Ann 20/9/1724
                    Alice 8/5/1726
                    Joseph 10/5/1728
                    Jane 2/3/1732

Marriages 1710 - 1754 were missing so I had a look at the BTs. No marriage there either but checking the baptisms there were a couple of discrepancies so take your pick.
                    James 28/8/1719 Joseph 15/6/1729

The Pitchcott register showed a marriage for:-
                    James LUCAS & Alice TOMALIN both of Lower Winchendon by Licence 25/9/1715. There were no additional children baptised there so a bit of a gap to 1719!!!!

I also found mention of James LUCAS in the Quarter Session records of 1716 & a will for 1731 so I ordered up the documents in the Archives but it's dinner time now so more of those later.

To be cont'd............
                    Glen

Comment

Hi Glen,

TIA
                      James father of James or James? Couldn't say.
                      There were 80 pages in the QS book for 1716 & I scanned through for James but could not pick him out. Although in Old English I could read the lists of names quite well so think he must have been mentioned in the detail.

The will at 2 & a half foolscap pages was very informative - definitely James father of James. There was a lot of 'legalese' but here is the gist.

I James LUCAS the elder of Lower Winchendon, Yeoman,
                      Give & devise unto my son John LUCAS of Pollicut all those three quarters of a yard land of arable meadow, ??? & pasture ground with ?????? appurtenances lying & being disposedly within ye parish Common fields, Liberty & precincts of Cublington Bucks.
                      And from immediately after his decease to my grandson John LUCAS, son of my son John, for his natural life & after his decease to my grandson & granddaughter James & Anne, children of John & to their heirs.
                      If they depart without issue then to my grandchildren James, John, Anne, Alice & Joseph LUCAS*, children of my son James & their heirs divided equally.
                      I give to my gs John son of John £60 of lawful money at £10 p.a. until paid; the 1st payment to begin within one year after my decease but if he departs this earth before receiving the £60 or any part, give that which remains to James & Anne again by £10 p.a.
                      I give bequeath & devise to James LUCAS my son all of my messuages or tenements & Closes of arable land meadow & pasture ground lying & within the parish of North Marston now in tenure or occupation of Richard DENCHFIELD & John SYMONDS & after his decease to my gs James son of my son James.
                      I give & bequeath to my gs John son of James £40 of lawful money when he reaches 21.
                      All the rest & residue of my estate I give to my son James, appointed sole executor.
                      Signed 27/10/1731.
                      Proved 14/4/1733

*Jane missed out as she wasn't born until after her gf's will was written although the girls only got something if others died.

To be cont'd.
                      Glen

Comment

James father of James or James? Couldn't say.
                        There were 80 pages in the QS book for 1716 & I scanned through for James but could not pick him out. Although in Old English I could read the lists of names quite well so think he must have been mentioned in the detail.

The will at 2 & a half foolscap pages was very informative - definitely James father of James. There was a lot of 'legalese' but here is the gist.

I James LUCAS the elder of Lower Winchendon, Yeoman,
                        Give & devise unto my son John LUCAS of Pollicut all those three quarters of a yard land of arable meadow, ??? & pasture ground with ?????? appurtenances lying & being disposedly within ye parish Common fields, Liberty & precincts of Cublington Bucks.
                        And from immediately after his decease to my grandson John LUCAS, son of my son John, for his natural life & after his decease to my grandson & granddaughter James & Anne, children of John & to their heirs.
                        If they depart without issue then to my grandchildren James, John, Anne, Alice & Joseph LUCAS*, children of my son James & their heirs divided equally.
                        I give to my gs John son of John £60 of lawful money at £10 p.a. until paid; the 1st payment to begin within one year after my decease but if he departs this earth before receiving the £60 or any part, give that which remains to James & Anne again by £10 p.a.
                        I give bequeath & devise to James LUCAS my son all of my messuages or tenements & Closes of arable land meadow & pasture ground lying & within the parish of North Marston now in tenure or occupation of Richard DENCHFIELD & John SYMONDS & after his decease to my gs James son of my son James.
                        I give & bequeath to my gs John son of James £40 of lawful money when he reaches 21.
                        All the rest & residue of my estate I give to my son James, appointed sole executor.
                        Signed 27/10/1731.
                        Proved 14/4/1733

*Jane missed out as she wasn't born until after her gf's will was written although the girls only got something if others died.

To be cont'd.

Glen, this is brilliant. ;D

Is there a way I can get a copy of the Will ?

Also may I ask for another lookup. James Clark, my 3x Great Grandfather. Occ: Bargeman, of Great Marlow. Born c1779. I have no other information about him other than one son, Henry, my 2x Great Grandfather, born c1801.

Comment

Glen, this is brilliant. ;D

Is there a way I can get a copy of the Will ?

Also may I ask for another lookup. James Clark, my 3x Great Grandfather. Occ: Bargeman, of Great Marlow. Born c1779. I have no other information about him other than one son, Henry, my 2x Great Grandfather, born c1801.
                          I didn't look at the actual will but at the copy in the Will Register which cannot be photocopied but they do have the original so as long as it is in reasonable condition you should be able to have a copy.

Here is the address.
                          Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies
                          County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. HP20 1UU
                          Archives: 01296 382587 archives@buckscc.gov.uk

I'll look for James CLARK next week.

Who, when & where did Anne marry? Is he likely to have left a will?

This is the last of what I found.
                          North Marston

Burials
                          Ann w. James LUCAS Snr of Nether (Lower) Winchendon. Unfortunately I didn't record the date but I'm pretty sure it was early 1731 as I remember thinking she hadn't been mentioned in the will & that her death had prompted the writing of a new one.
                          James LUCAS of Nether Winchendon 5/11/1732
                          Mary w. John LUCAS 27/3/1737
                          James inf. s. James LUCAS of Quarrendon 27/9/1737
                          John LUCAS inf. 20/6/1744
                          John LUCAS poor 7/10/1745 Not sure who this was as the family were very comfortable.
                          Edward LUCAS inf. 4/4/1746
                          James LUCAS 2/2/1752
                          James LUCAS 23/2/1752
                          James LUCAS of Quarrendon 7/11/1752
                          Lucy LUCAS inf. 2/1/1755
                          I'll leave you to sort out the plethora of James'

These baptisms were all entered on one page as the children of James Lucas of Quarrendon & Sarah his wife.
                          Mary 16/11/1731
                          Sarah 21/12/1733
                          James 12/3/1737
                          Elizabeth 1/11/1740
                          John 6/12/1742
                          Susannah 13/12/1743
                          Hannah 7/8/1746
                          Nathaniel 12/2/1750

James LUCAS of Quarrendon Adult 4/8/1728

John LUCAS & Elizabeth SHORT Banns 3/6/1748
                          Glen

Comment

Who, when & where did Anne marry? Is he likely to have left a will?

Ann Lucas married Joseph Humphreys 27 Aug 1756 St Mary, Ashendon, Buckinghamshire.
                            I have copies of 2 Humphreys' Wills, Joseph, Father, and David, Grandfather, supplied by someone tracing the Humphreys.

Thanks again for all your work, it is very appreciated.

Comment

Firstly, Ann LUCAS was buried 25/8/1731

Gt Marlow
                              James s. James/Mary 21/2/1779
                              Ann d. James/Mary 3/10/1776
                              Martha d. James/Mary 16/2/1775
                              Elizabeth d. James/Mary 15/9/1771

It's a large register & I didn't look for any baptisms after James but I went backwards to see when his parents were likely to have married & found:
                              James CLARK b. Mary CHILD s. botp Banns 30/9/1770
                              Wit: Stephen ARION (I think) Margeret BOWDRY Only James signed.

I then looked for James Snr's baptism & found something I can't make heads nor tails of.
                              James CLARK ( CLARK crossed out) s. George CLARK (CLARK inserted above George) & Rebecca ROCKHALL 11/8/1745.
                              The BTs were the same except without the deletion or insertion.
                              However George ROCKHALL married Rebecca HOLLIS in 1742 & they had children in 1742, 48 & 51.
                              All I can think of was that George ROCKHALL was away when James was conceived & George CLARK owned up to to being the father.
                              I'll let you ponder the meaning. I am rather doubtful about my theory because of both men being George!!!
                              Glen

Comment

• Glen,

Thanks very much for all your work.

Now to decipher what my ancestors got up to........Nothing new there.

Comment

Hi Glen,

TIA
                                  Sorry to barge in on the thread, but I have ancestors from Upper and Lower Winchendon.

Old Holborn, have you seen the photograph of the church at Lower Winchendon on the Places of Worship board?

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...and_Parishes_L

I took several photos of the church, which was being restored. If you would like me to send you any I will see if I can dig them out. Lower Winchendon is very tiny and you should be able to find out where your ancestors lived. My Jeffcoat family lived in Upper Winchendon in the late 1700s to about 1828.
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:
                                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Hi Glen

Here's another little puzzle for you if you have time ...

Marriage cert of my husband's 3G grandparents Joel WRIGHT and Mary PRATT on 8th September 1839 in Bledlow lists Mary PRATT as a minor, spinster and father George PRATT, blacksmith. Witnesses are Richard BOWLER, Anne STEVENS and John CLARKE.

Please could you see if you could find a baptism in Bledlow in 1818-1824 ish for Mary PRATT, father George? I'd like to know about her mother / siblings if possible. There may be a connection with the surname BAGNELL/BAGNALL as on the 1841 and 1851 censuses there is a Richard BAGNELL/BAGNALL living with Joel WRIGHT and Mary and their family, on the 1851 his relationship to Joel is "grandfather-in-law". Perhaps the Anne STEVENS who witnessed the marriage could be a married sister to Mary?

Many thanks in advance.

Helen

Comment

1935 Mary Wilder MILLER

Glen - thank you again for this. I now have possible living person birth cert born 28th July 1921 at 6 Nags Head Passage, mother Mary Wilder Miller, so this all ties in. As Mary Wilder Miller was in Birmingham giving birth to a son in December 1918, I think I will have to search there for more info. Do you know if all registers are alphabetical by name pre 1934 or if this just applies to the ones in Aylesbury? Thank you, Helen

Sorry, should have said that the possible living person Velma kindly deleted died in 2003, I have her death cert. My fault, sorry. Haven't added name back in to post, as for purposes of electoral roll look up it is irrelevant. Helen
                                      Last edited by Helen in Bucks; 20-03-10, 18:28. Reason: Naming of possible living persons under 100 years old without note of death

Comment

• Hi Helen,

I shan't be going to the RO for a few weeks; I'm in Suffolk next week & my daughter is going into hospital the following one. Depending on how she is I may go in after Easter.

Re: Electoral Roll. It's strange that there is no sign of Mary from 1925 back to 1922!! As for how they are presented, the only others I have looked at were in Herts. & Suffolk & they were listed by address so I guess they vary!!
                                        Glen

Comment

• Glen, thank you, any time you can is absolutely fine, no rush at all, I'm hugely grateful for all the help you've given so far. Its possible that George Pratt was married to a Rebecca, there is a Rebecca Pratt of right sort of age on 1841 census in Bledlow with children George age 13 and Eliza age 2, then George Pratt (blacksmith) and wife Rebecca with George jnr age 20, Eliza age 10 and Henry age 8 on the 1851, still can't track George down on the 1841 though. Helen

Comment

Working...
                                          X