No announcement yet.

Suffolk RO Lookups - Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem I have Glen is that I have the baptism of my 3xg grandfather James Harden in 1778, along with baptisms of three brothers and a sister in 1774, 1776, 1780 & 1783, in Lackford, all with mother Dinah, father William. However, there is an earlier baptism of Ann in 1772 with mother Judith. I think there was quite possibly an earlier son William born c1769 but I can't find his baptism at all.

I can't find any marriage of a William Harden to a Judith, or any death record for Judith, so it makes me wonder if Ann's baptism giving Judith as mother is just a mistake. The names of Dinah and Judith aren't at all similar though!

Jane

P.S. Have now found William's baptism in Fornham All Saints on 3/9/1769 so am now almost certain that Judith's name is a mistake on the baptism in 1772.
    Last edited by Breckland Jane; 24-04-11, 07:21.

Comment

• Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
      The problem I have Glen is that I have the baptism of my 3xg grandfather James Harden in 1778, along with baptisms of three brothers and a sister in 1774, 1776, 1780 & 1783, in Lackford, all with mother Dinah, father William. However, there is an earlier baptism of Ann in 1772 with mother Judith. I think there was quite possibly an earlier son William born c1769 but I can't find his baptism at all.

I can't find any marriage of a William Harden to a Judith, or any death record for Judith, so it makes me wonder if Ann's baptism giving Judith as mother is just a mistake. The names of Dinah and Judith aren't at all similar though!

Jane

P.S. Have now found William's baptism in Fornham All Saints on 3/9/1769 so am now almost certain that Judith's name is a mistake on the baptism in 1772.
      I remember now finding the Lackford births for you & I agree that the Judith in the register is likely to be an error.

I looked in Fornham, don't know how I missed William's baptism. I'll have a closer look on Tuesday.

How do you feel about the marriage now?
      Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
        The only time WHITE is mentioned in Leiston is Elizabeth's marriage to Jonathan CHANDLER & where she is recorded as the mother of the CHANDLER children apart from one baptism of a Charles to Samuel & Elizabeth in 1812.

As Samuel & Mary appear to be non-con, I can't access those records in Lowestoft - it will have to wait until I visit Ipswich. I will have a look in the Wattisfield PRs.
        Many thanks Glen, I appreciate all your efforts.
        Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

• Thanks Glen, I'm feeling much happier about the marriage now.

Jane

Comment

Thanks Glen, I'm feeling much happier about the marriage now.

Jane
            I don't know if you have seen that there is a baptism for a Dinah JARMIN in 1742 in Glemsford which is on the Essex borders but might be worth a look. Parents Richard & Dinah & their marriage in the same parish.

There is also a patron submitted baptism for a Richard JERMYN in 1692 in Hessett which is back up your way Lackford/Chedburgh. Let me know if you want any of those looked at. I hope to get an hour & a half in the RO on Tues, Wed & Thurs.
            Glen

Comment

• I have today found that baptism in Glemsford. I like the fact that her father was Richard as was the witness to William & Dinah's marriage but Glemsford does seem to be quite a distance from Chedburgh, although not exactly impossible. Hessett does seem a bit more likely if you wouldn't mind looking into this one.

Thanks, Jane

P.S. Having had another look at the maps, Hessett doesn't seem very likely either, but who knows!!
              Last edited by Breckland Jane; 24-04-11, 19:43.

Comment

• Could I please ask for another look-up if you have time. Mary Harding baptised 26/12/1767 Fornham All Saints, daughter of John & Ann. Are there any other records of Harding/Harden there around the same time (apart from William's baptism that I found yesterday).

Thanks, Jane

Comment

Could I please ask for another look-up if you have time. Mary Harding baptised 26/12/1767 Fornham All Saints, daughter of John & Ann. Are there any other records of Harding/Harden there around the same time (apart from William's baptism that I found yesterday).

Thanks, Jane
                  Yes, I was intending to look at Fornham again as I don't know how I missed the William baptism & now also one for Mary. The latter makes the marriage look a near certainty.

That also ties in with the Dinah aged 0 burial in 1797 where the mother was Mary. I wondered about the relationship at the time as William & Dinah didn't baptise a Mary in Lackford. The baptism in Fornham explains all.
                  Glen

Comment

• Thanks Glen, I think you looked at Fornham St Martin before but probably not Fornham All Saints. There seems to be quite a bit of Harden activity in the Fornhams around 1767/69 which also ties in with Lackford.

Samuel from Fornham married Alice from Lackford.
                    William who married Dinah in Chedburgh must then have lvied in Fornham to baptise William there, before moving to Lackford.
                    Mary who was baptised in Fornham, daughter of John & Ann, then seems to have moved to Lackford and had her daughter Dinah there.

I'm wondering if Samuel, William and John were brothers. Still don't know where they came from though!

Perhaps Mary went to live with her uncle William & aunt Dinah and named her daughter after her aunt.

Jane

Comment

Thanks Glen, I think you looked at Fornham St Martin before but probably not Fornham All Saints. There seems to be quite a bit of Harden activity in the Fornhams around 1767/69 which also ties in with Lackford.

Samuel from Fornham married Alice from Lackford.
                      William who married Dinah in Chedburgh must then have lvied in Fornham to baptise William there, before moving to Lackford.
                      Mary who was baptised in Fornham, daughter of John & Ann, then seems to have moved to Lackford and had her daughter Dinah there.

I'm wondering if Samuel, William and John were brothers. Still don't know where they came from though!

Perhaps Mary went to live with her uncle William & aunt Dinah and named her daughter after her aunt.

Jane
                      That's a relief, you are correct, I looked at St Martin not All Saints. I was thinking I had been really slack with my lookups.

Sorry, getting muddled again as I was thinking Mary was William & Dinah's. She would have fitted nicely as a first child for that marriage. I did wonder if Samuel was William's brother as he married an Alice & William & Dinah baptised an Alice.

I'll see what I can find tomorrow.
                      Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
                        Thank you for those Glen, obviously overlooked them when I was recording the details.

As for the Whites, my best guess would be Leiston Glen. Their daughter was baptised at the Independant Wattisfield Suffolk, but I'm not sure if that was another parish? If it is, they could have lived and died there. That's all the info I have for them so far. Sorry I can't be more help Glen.
                        No sign of WHITEs in the Wattisfield PRs.
                        Glen

Comment

Could I please ask for another look-up if you have time. Mary Harding baptised 26/12/1767 Fornham All Saints, daughter of John & Ann. Are there any other records of Harding/Harden there around the same time (apart from William's baptism that I found yesterday).

Thanks, Jane
                          The only other entries in Fornham All Saints were these burials:
                          Ann HARDEN wife John 15/10/1747
                          Christopher HARDING s. John/Ann 19/6/1757

Looking at the map in the RO, Chedburgh appears about equidistant from Lackford/Fornhams & Glemsford. There are a lot of JARMIN/JERMYN there.
                          One JERMYN marries a CRICK (witness at marriage)
                          I started checking the burials for a Dinah but ran out of time. If I can manage it I'll check burials & marriages there up to 1767. I may be able to kill or marry off that Dinah. If I can't, I know it doesn't prove anything but we might find a connection.
                          Glen

Comment

• Thank you so much for your endeavours. I'm starting to think there is probably a connection with the Hardens in Bury St Edmunds but it would be a huge job sorting them out so I'm certainly NOT going to ask you to do these lookups. They will have to wait until I have the opportunity to go to the Records Office myself.

The Jermyn/Crick connection certainly looks interesting with regard to the William/Dinah marriage.

I'd be very grateful for anything you can find in Glemsford if you can manage to take a look.

Thanks, Jane

Comment

• Hi Glen,

Next time you go to the records office would you check a marriage for me. A number of people on ancestry have a marriage between William Brinkley and Harriet Waller. The marriage took place 1 Dec 1843, Norton Suffolk. My William was born 1823 and christened 1 Jun 1823. What concerns me is whether this is my William Brinkley as there are other William Brinkleys born around the same time in Norton. The fathers name may help accept or reject whether this is the correct marriage and the witnesses may further help.

Many thanks, Sandra

Many thanks
                              Last edited by Sherbertrose; 27-04-11, 12:14.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                No sign of WHITEs in the Wattisfield PRs.
                                Many thanks for looking Glen. Shall have to reconfigurate.
                                Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Thank you so much for your endeavours. I'm starting to think there is probably a connection with the Hardens in Bury St Edmunds but it would be a huge job sorting them out so I'm certainly NOT going to ask you to do these lookups. They will have to wait until I have the opportunity to go to the Records Office myself.

The Jermyn/Crick connection certainly looks interesting with regard to the William/Dinah marriage.

I'd be very grateful for anything you can find in Glemsford if you can manage to take a look.

Thanks, Jane
                                  I checked the Glemsford registers up to 1782 & there was no burial or marriage for Dinah. There were no burials for her parents Richard & Dinah either.
                                  The only entry of interest was a burial Sarah JARMYN d. Dinah inf. 4/4/1759.
                                  Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                                    Hi Glen,

Next time you go to the records office would you check a marriage for me. A number of people on ancestry have a marriage between William Brinkley and Harriet Waller. The marriage took place 1 Dec 1843, Norton Suffolk. My William was born 1823 and christened 1 Jun 1823. What concerns me is whether this is my William Brinkley as there are other William Brinkleys born around the same time in Norton. The fathers name may help accept or reject whether this is the correct marriage and the witnesses may further help.

Many thanks, Sandra

Many thanks
                                    On the list for tomorrow Sandra.
                                    Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen
                                      I think this may be too much to ask but I'd like to find out if any apprenticeship records have survived for Sudbury from around 1760. I'm specifically looking for records of Egerton Philbrick (filbrick) who apparently was apprenticed to Richard Gardiner (a peruke maker?) of St. Peter's Sudbury. The information came from 1765 Poor Law Settlement records in Essex, where Egerton stated he'd been an apprentice to Mr. Gardiner for 4 years.

I sent an email to the records office to ask if they had the records and they've replied but not answered my question. I don't want you to have to spend lots of time on this and don't mind having the records office search but before I send a request to them, would like to know if the apprenticeship records do still exist.
                                      Thank you!
                                      Jenny

Comment

• Thank you Glen. This still leaves the possibility that Dinah from Glemsford was the one who married in Chedburgh then. As her parents weren't buried there it looks possible that the whole family moved away from Glemsford.

Jane

Comment

• Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                                          Hi Glen
                                          I think this may be too much to ask but I'd like to find out if any apprenticeship records have survived for Sudbury from around 1760. I'm specifically looking for records of Egerton Philbrick (filbrick) who apparently was apprenticed to Richard Gardiner (a peruke maker?) of St. Peter's Sudbury. The information came from 1765 Poor Law Settlement records in Essex, where Egerton stated he'd been an apprentice to Mr. Gardiner for 4 years.

I sent an email to the records office to ask if they had the records and they've replied but not answered my question. I don't want you to have to spend lots of time on this and don't mind having the records office search but before I send a request to them, would like to know if the apprenticeship records do still exist.
                                          Thank you!
                                          I enquired at the RO & his name didn't appear on their database. However not everything is on there although a lot does show on A2A. Sudbury records are kept at the Bury RO so you may have some luck if you enquire there unless that was where you sent the email. If it was then I'd ask the question again.
                                          Glen

Comment

Working...
                                          X