X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
    Hi Glen

Are you still offering to do these?

If so I have been at a bit of a brickwall with my 4xgreat grandparents for a while.

They are James Edmunds and Mary Bullen. They had three children baptised in Bungay, George 1792, Mary 1795 and John 1798. However there doesn't seem to be a marriage for them there. James was definitely of Bungay parish, born there, so presumably they married in her parish. I have no idea where that would be, but it has recently been suggested Ilketshall St Andrew might be a good candidate, as a couple of Bullens appear to have been buried there, and it's only three and a half miles or so away. Would it be possible to check the marriage registers there to see if they appear?

Thanks in advance

Richard
    I'll have a look when I'm next there but it may not be for a month or so.
    Glen

Comment

• Thanks Glen, no rush, much appreciated.

Comment

• Glen, if you're still doing these, then...

My Greatx4 Grandfather, William Death, was born "on or about” the 4th April 1788 at Bramford in Suffolk, according to an 1808 declaration by his father, Thomas. William himself had “heard and believes he was born at the Parish of Bayleham” according to a declaration of his own from around the same date.

Would you be able to check one or other of the parish registers to see which statement is correct...?

Many, many thanks if you're able to!

Stephen

Many thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrStephen View Post
          Glen, if you're still doing these, then...

My Greatx4 Grandfather, William Death, was born "on or about” the 4th April 1788 at Bramford in Suffolk, according to an 1808 declaration by his father, Thomas. William himself had “heard and believes he was born at the Parish of Bayleham” according to a declaration of his own from around the same date.

Would you be able to check one or other of the parish registers to see which statement is correct...?

Stephen

Many thanks!
          No definite date for next Suffolk visit but will add your request to my list.
          Glen

Comment

• Thank you very much, Glen.

Comment

• Hi Glen,
              I have asked you for some look ups before, so hope that you don't mind having another look, for me, please.
              It was for the Cook Family, in Dennington.
              Since I received your help, with the records, for this family, I have got back a little further, and have now got stuck, again.

I am trying to find more info on a Cook, family, in Dennington.
              I have, already, a Robert Cook, with a brother, Daniel Cook, they were born in 1778 and 1782 respectively.
              But the info that I would like is that of their parents.
              I believe that there is a chance that they could have been a John Cook and Sarah (Low?) married in Badingham.? John would have been born around 1757. As the details for this John were submitted by someone, I am not sure if they are correct.
              So, if you could find out details of this John's birth/marriage record, also that of John's parents ,whom I think COULD be Robert and Mary Feveryear, although not sure.

I have looked at some Dennington records, online, but it does not give the marriage of John and Sarah, or the the marriage of a Robert and Mary. Do you think that you might be able to help, again, please.
              Thank you very much.
              Last edited by karane; 24-02-11, 08:01.

Comment

• Hi Karane,

I'll see what I can find, though with such a common surname there may be nothing conclusive.
                Glen

Comment

• Thank you, Glen, I believe that there was only one family, in Dennington, at that time, with the name of Cook, although it could be that I just haven't come across any others, myself, but have looked on various records, etc.
                  I would be grateful if you wouldn't mind looking, though, please. Thanks Glen. By the way I didn't receive any notification of your reply, through the site. Have they stopped doing that now.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
                    Hi Glen

Are you still offering to do these?

If so I have been at a bit of a brickwall with my 4xgreat grandparents for a while.

They are James Edmunds and Mary Bullen. They had three children baptised in Bungay, George 1792, Mary 1795 and John 1798. However there doesn't seem to be a marriage for them there. James was definitely of Bungay parish, born there, so presumably they married in her parish. I have no idea where that would be, but it has recently been suggested Ilketshall St Andrew might be a good candidate, as a couple of Bullens appear to have been buried there, and it's only three and a half miles or so away. Would it be possible to check the marriage registers there to see if they appear?

Thanks in advance

Richard
                    I checked the marriages in Ilketshall St Andrew, Margaret, Lawrence & John plus Mettingham & Bungay Holy Trinity but found nothing. I did note a few events which you may already have.

Bungay St Mary
                    James EDMUNDS s. George/Elizabeth 14/8/1769
                    Sarah " d. " / " 3/12/1770
                    Mary " d. Abigail 21/3/1773
                    George " s. " 6/3/1776
                    Hannah GOLDSPINK d. George/Abigail 27/5/1790 Had relief
                    George GOLDSMITH sotp Banns 15/8/1776
                    Abigail EDMUNDS sotp Wit: James FREEMAN Philip SPENCE. All signed

Not sure if the error above is mine or in the register. I'll check tomorrow.

Burials
                    John EDMUNDS 7/6/1762
                    Sarah " d. George/Elizabeth 28/2/1771
                    Elizabeth " 85 12/2/1815
                    Sarah " 80 4/8/1840

Bungay Holy Trinity
                    Mary BULLEN d. Richard/Ann 18/1/1762 priv 8/9/1762 pub
                    Elizabeth EDMUNDS d. George/Elizabeth 2/11/1766

George EDMUNDS b of St Margaret & Holy Trinity Ipswich Licence 9/7/1766
                    Elizabeth MYHILL Wid Wit: William GILLINGWATER Thomas PLUMMER Only wits signed
                    Glen

Comment

• Thank you Glen, that is terrific and very helpful, all the info from Holy Trinity Bungay is new for me, I think the disc I have for that church from the Suffolk Family History Society only goes back to the early 1800's. Will make a note of it all and go through it, Much appreciated. Regards, Richard

Comment

Glen, if you're still doing these, then...

Stephen

Many thanks!
                        Looks as though the father was correct as there was a baptism for William DEATH in Bramford 4/5/1788 s. Thomas/Ann (FENN) A pauper
                        Also in the register
                        Mary DEATH d. Thomas/Ann 2/10/1785
                        John " s. Ann (a base born child) priv 14/1/1788
                        Ann " d. Thomas/Ann 16/9/1792 A pauper
                        Jonathan " s. " / " 2/11/1794

I also looked for a marriage for Thomas & Ann in Bramford but there wasn't one. I checked Baylham in case there was more than one William but no sign at all of DEATHs there.
                        Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by karane View Post
                          Hi Glen,

I believe that there is a chance that they could have been a John Cook and Sarah (Low?) married in Badingham.? As the details for this John were submitted by someone, I am not sure if they are correct.
                          Do you think that you might be able to help, again, please.
                          Thank you very much.
                          The marriage in Badingham certainly took place.
                          John COOKE sotp Licence 25/10/1774
                          Sarah LOW sotp Wit: John SMYTH Daniel SPENCE Only wits signed.

That's all I had time for today. I'll look at the other issues tomorrow.
                          Glen

Comment

• Glen - as stated, this is above and beyond the call of duty! Is the register stating Thomas is a pauper, or that the children in each case are...?

Also..."base born child". Seems odd that this is not the first child! Baptism seems to clash quite tightly with that for William. I suppose there's the chance that the child isn't of 'my' Ann though.

Again - huge thanks for this!

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                            Looks as though the father was correct as there was a baptism for William DEATH in Bramford 4/5/1788 s. Thomas/Ann (FENN) A pauper
                            Also in the register
                            Mary DEATH d. Thomas/Ann 2/10/1785
                            John " s. Ann (a base born child) priv 14/1/1788
                            Ann " d. Thomas/Ann 16/9/1792 A pauper
                            Jonathan " s. " / " 2/11/1794

I also looked for a marriage for Thomas & Ann in Bramford but there wasn't one. I checked Baylham in case there was more than one William but no sign at all of DEATHs there.

Comment

Glen - as stated, this is above and beyond the call of duty! Is the register stating Thomas is a pauper, or that the children in each case are...?

Also..."base born child". Seems odd that this is not the first child! Baptism seems to clash quite tightly with that for William. I suppose there's the chance that the child isn't of 'my' Ann though.

Again - huge thanks for this!
                              I believe the 'pauper' refers to the family & indicates that no payment was made for the service.
                              I included the Ann with base born John as I thought she was possibly Thomas' sister & you might establish a connection some time.
                              Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen,

On Familysearch I've found a burial of Dinah Harden, aged 0, at Lackford on 24/2/1797. Could you please take a look to see if her parents are named.

Also, if you have enough time available, I would be grateful for any mention of Harden/Harding in Lackford prior to 1772 as this is the earliest record I've come across so far.

Thank you.

Jane

Comment

• Glen - thanks for clarifying. Were there many Deaths that you came across whilst searching the period, or was Ann the only non-Thomas one you found..?

I believe the 'pauper' refers to the family & indicates that no payment was made for the service.
                                  I included the Ann with base born John as I thought she was possibly Thomas' sister & you might establish a connection some time.

Comment

• Originally posted by karane View Post
                                    Hi Glen,
                                    I have asked you for some look ups before, so hope that you don't mind having another look, for me, please.
                                    It was for the Cook Family, in Dennington.
                                    Since I received your help, with the records, for this family, I have got back a little further, and have now got stuck, again.

I am trying to find more info on a Cook, family, in Dennington.
                                    I have, already, a Robert Cook, with a brother, Daniel Cook, they were born in 1778 and 1782 respectively.
                                    But the info that I would like is that of their parents.
                                    I believe that there is a chance that they could have been a John Cook and Sarah (Low?) married in Badingham.? John would have been born around 1757. As the details for this John were submitted by someone, I am not sure if they are correct.
                                    So, if you could find out details of this John's birth/marriage record, also that of John's parents ,whom I think COULD be Robert and Mary Feveryear, although not sure.

I have looked at some Dennington records, online, but it does not give the marriage of John and Sarah, or the the marriage of a Robert and Mary. Do you think that you might be able to help, again, please.
                                    Thank you very much.
                                    Well, good news & bad news Karane.

I started the Dennington records in 1760 recording all COOKE baptisms. There were 2 Johns baptising children at the same time which is going to make life difficult. One had a wife Sarah & the other a wife Susan. There were several baptisms for each couple through the 70s & early 80s & finally a baptism in 1784 showed Susan's maiden name. Good I thought, I should be able to confirm Sarah's name. Unfortunately the next baptism for John & Sarah, instead of showing her maiden name just showed 'deceased'.

At this time a Daniel LOW (Sarah's brother?) starts baptising children in Dennington. I then went back to an earlier fiche & found Robert COOK & Mary FEVERYEAR marrying by licence 18/9/1752. They baptised Mary 5/8/1755 but that was all. However there did appear to be a gap between 1756 - 1760 & many that were entered had been done at a later date so no sign of either John. On the same fiche were marriages for John COOKE (W) & Mary LYON (W) in 1720 & William COOKE & Elizabeth, possibly MYHILL but could have been anything, in 1712.

I then looked at burials & we were in luck.
                                    Sarah COOKE late LOW wife of John, Pauper aged 35 25/10/1784
                                    John & Sarah buried at least 3 of their children, Ann, Daniel & William.
                                    I can let you have all the baptisms & burials if you want them.
                                    Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                                      Hi Glen,

On Familysearch I've found a burial of Dinah Harden, aged 0, at Lackford on 24/2/1797. Could you please take a look to see if her parents are named.

Also, if you have enough time available, I would be grateful for any mention of Harden/Harding in Lackford prior to 1772 as this is the earliest record I've come across so far.

Thank you.

Jane
                                      Shall see what I can find on Monday.
                                      Glen

Comment

Glen - thanks for clarifying. Were there many Deaths that you came across whilst searching the period, or was Ann the only non-Thomas one you found..?
                                        I usually check 5 years either side of the given date & they were the only ones. I think I had a quick look for Thomas' birth in Bramford but not sure.
                                        Glen

Comment

• Thanks for the further clarification. Again, much appreciated...

I usually check 5 years either side of the given date & they were the only ones. I think I had a quick look for Thomas' birth in Bramford but not sure.

Comment

Working...
                                          X