futurelearn MOOC in November??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• futurelearn MOOC in November??

I’ve just been reading the November issue of FamilyTree UK magazine and on page 72 I found a free 6 week MOOC course that sounded worth doing, however when I went to futurelearn’s website, I cannot find anything on that course. Has anybody else registered for it? It’s 2nd one in the screenshot.

MOOC means Massive Open Online Course with no limit on numbers attending.

88A86F9F-B226-4851-9AD0-033FEB97D279.jpg
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 31-10-22, 12:06.

Hmmm! Still no wiser. I sent a query this afternoon to futurelearn and got a standard reply which required me to say if - after reading FAQS- I still needed any help with my issue. So I replied that I did still need help thank you.
    I have just received a follow up email from them providing a link to a course that I can sign up to immediately. Problem is though that the link is for “Genealogy: reseaching your family tree” which is the course that preceded the one I want. Doh!
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 31-10-22, 18:53.

Comment

Futurelearn mentioned it in an email today. Here’s the link:
      Discover the basics of genealogy, dive into your ancestry and create a family tree with this online course by the University of Strathclyde.

Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
        Futurelearn mentioned it in an email today. Here’s the link:
        Discover the basics of genealogy, dive into your ancestry and create a family tree with this online course by the University of Strathclyde.

Christine
        Thanks but that’s not the right one. That’s the same one that they sent me a link to this afternoon.
        The course in the magazine is in bold typeface and called “Genetic genealogy: researching your family tree using DNA” and the wording goes on to say “and follows in the footsteps of the “Genealogy: researching your family tree MOOC”

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Thanks but that’s not the right one. That’s the same one that they sent me a link to this afternoon.
          The course in the magazine is in bold typeface and called “Genetic genealogy: researching your family tree using DNA” and the wording goes on to say “and follows in the footsteps of the “Genealogy: researching your family tree MOOC”
          Sorry - didn’t read the clipping properly re it being a follow up course. I’ve just checked on futurelearn and it doesn’t feature yet in their course list.
          Just a case of watch this space for the time being...

Christine
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

This arrived from futurelearn support this morning. It is indeed a case of watch this space

Your request (307696) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Hi xxxxxx,

My apologies for the confusion.

I can't find the course you requested on the platform so it's very likely that it was either never published or it has been withdrawn for unexpected reasons; I've forwarded your query to the course team and I will let you know once I have more information.

In the meanwhile, if you find any other suitable course, I would advise you to enrol.

Kind regards,

xxxxxx

Comment

UPDATE! 👍

Your request (307696) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Hi xxxxxx,

The “Genetic genealogy: researching your family tree using DNA” is planned to be published next week, the course team have advised to please check our website for any updates!

Kind regards
              xxxxxx

Comment

The course is now up for booking Start date is 14 November and access ends 26 December. After clicking Join Course, scroll down to bottom option for the free version. You need to be logged in for that button to work straight off. If you don’t have an account with futurelearn, the button will take you to an account creation page.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...tree-using-dna
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-11-22, 14:02.

Comment

Thanks for the update GL - I’ve just signed up.

Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

How are folks getting on with this course? I have been a bit busy so after a great start in week 1, I caught up with weeks 2 and 3 yesterday. I might get this week’s number 4 finished today as there’s footie on the tv tonight.
                    I find that after maybe half a dozen of the wee videos, they start to buffer terribly so need to clear my caches etc. and then reboot before I can get going again. I gave up yesterday and just read the script instead.
                    So far the things I have learned that have been the most useful (tbh I should have known them already) are that 2nd cousins are better than 1st cousins to get tested when you start expanding your DNA project beyond yourself, parents and siblings. The other thing is you should link any known good matches to your tree and make sure your tree is connected to your own DNA file. I have done that part but never knew about linking other matches. I’m not sure exactly what that entails. I’ll have to investigate.
                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 07-12-22, 11:45.

Comment

Working...
                    X