Free access to Newspapers.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free access to Newspapers.com

Just had an email to say it is free until Monday to Ancestry users - not checked it though.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-02-21, 20:04.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

You can search but you can't view the results without giving your bank details
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

found a link on this blog, or use the email if you have one. It is only free the ancestry subscribers

https://www.geneamusings.com/2021/02...om-during.html

https://nwspprs.com/ancestryinfluencer.
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-02-21, 21:16.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
        You can search but you can't view the results without giving your bank details
        did you get access?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, I did! And I have already found some bits that I hadn't found before and I really like the way they are saved to pdf with the newspaper date and info automatically attached.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

yes I was impressed with that, I don't have much in the US, few in Canada, but can't find any of them.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Yes I did and posted about it yesterday on the chat thread but I expect it got lost there. I expect sites asking for card details keep out spammers that way.

I had a sub briefly ages ago and so was able to log straight in even though I must be on my third card since then! It has good world coverage, but I find it most useful for provincial USA newspapers especially obituaries..
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I put in one of my unusual surnames to see if I could find any clues about the couple who went to Australia, married, had two children then came back to England. I have found lots of adverts in Australian papers which give me a good idea of what the husband was doing but the best gem so far is a missing persons item in a London newspaper, looking for the brother of the wife, suggesting that he might also have gone to Australia. So this might help me trace the mysterious return journey to England - apparently without her children.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  found a link on this blog, or use the email if you have one. It is only free the ancestry subscribers

https://www.geneamusings.com/2021/02...om-during.html

https://nwspprs.com/ancestryinfluencer.
                  you don't need to to card details, you just need to follow link on the subsequent post I made, you do need to be a subscriber to Ancestry.

Emails were sent via Ancestry
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

I couldn’t see the article I wanted to till I logged in to newspapers.com’s own site via ancestry despite finding the reference on ancestry in the first place. So I clicked the link to ancestry and it logged me in and gave me a member name called familytree and some numbers (probably the same one that I couldn’t get rid of in February last year) but I still couldn’t see the article unless I signed up for a free trial.
                    A load of hidden faff so just didn’t bother.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I couldn’t see the article I wanted to till I logged in to newspapers.com’s own site via ancestry despite finding the reference on ancestry in the first place. So I clicked the link to ancestry and it logged me in and gave me a member name called familytree and some numbers (probably the same one that I couldn’t get rid of in February last year) but I still couldn’t see the article unless I signed up for a free trial.
                      A load of hidden faff so just didn’t bother.
                      You needed to follow the link in my post, it won't work if you go to the newspapers.com url

or if you were logged into Ancestry and it found a hint it would take me straight there
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I did both Carolyn. First of all when I was logged into ancestry I clicked the link at the bottom of the article reference and it took me to newspapers.com but the article had a yellow cast over it and I had to login to ancestry again using that choice on their oage even though I was already logged in.
                        The second time, I went back to your post and followed the link you gave. Exactly the same happened.
                        I wonder if it just doesn’t like Safari?

Comment

UPDATE to #12 Edge does just the same.

Comment

try this https://go.newspapers.com/freeaccess...aign=fa-feb-21
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              Nope sorry, just the same even when signed in from ancestry, I need to give details for a 7 day trial or no go. I think I will just give up. Thanks for trying

Comment

Only got the email halfway through today, just as it was about to finish. Thanks Ancestry ..... slow again!
                                Anne

Comment

I used chrome if that helps, guess near the end of the day now!
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I didn’t find anything about most of the names that I searched but the one item that I did find about the Skitterals was an absolute gem! It was a missing person advert from 1891 which told me that a person who I thought had died as a baby was in fact still alive as an adult - checked my sources and found that I had miscalculated some dates so the child I had found buried couldn’t have been the child in my family. It also showed me the addresses of the missing man's father in Norwood and his sister - my lady in Australia. They were obviously still in close contact so I can discount the theory that she had fallen out with her father. And it suggested that the missing man may have gone travelling to the Continent and then on to Australia with a 'gentleman friend' so that might help towards working out the mysteries of the return journeys to England the following year.

So I have lots to follow up just from one small article

Comment

wow that was a good find, it just takes something like that to get the search going
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                      X