Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Who's Who in Group Photos

Hello,

I've recently organized a few thousand family photos and will be starting to digitize them shortly. We're planning to use FTM to make our tree, Ancestry for hints/connections/DNA, and Google Photos to backup and share our photos.

Unfortunately I'm stuck on how we're going to identify specific individuals in all of our group photos. And many of our older photos are of large family shots, so there are often quite a few individuals, many of whom look similar, in the photo.

I know FTM and Ancestry let you say who's in each photo, but do they let you point to who specifically each person is? As in face tagging? And if not is there a generally accepted way to record who's who for each photograph?

TIA for any assistance.

Hi, I'm going to be following this to hear what is suggested as I have the same problem. One solution that I have tried is to make a digital copy of the photograph and use a 'Paint' type of software to put a small label on each person. It's a bit laborious and I have only done it for a couple of photos.

I'd also be interested to hear how you have organised the photos as I haven't worked out a good way to do that yet, either.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

You can't "tag" indviduals on Ancestry as you can on Facebook for example. As you have Gardengirl I've used "Paint" on a digital copy to label individuals in a large wedding group for instance , and I often mark it with where the original came from eg "By kind permission of XYZ" or "From the personal collection of XYZ" or if it's one I've taken of a gravestone or a property I add "Photo by...my name " and the location/date as I've often seen my own photos have been copied then uploaded again.

Comment

picasa used to be really good at face recognition and now that has been discontinued, was hoping that there maybe a similar product out there.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Good morning. Just a quick update to say we haven't discovered the perfect software we've been hoping for just yet. We're going to start scanning next weekend (was supposed to be this weekend but a snowstorm got in the way), starting with the oldest photos first so they are safely stored and identified.

We're hoping to avoid having to write on the image itself, even digitally, as then we'd want two copies of each image - with names to ID and without names so others can print a copy. It may come to that, but we'll see.

One program recommended to me is DigiKam, which is a free software that apparently has facial recognition functionality, so I do intend to try that one out. My mom also bought a family-tree software package that may have some helpful tools, so we'll be playing around with that too.

In regards to sorting we've primarily done older photos by family line (maternal grandmothers line, maternal grandfathers line, then paternal line all together since we have much less of that). We've sorted those further into known and unknown for photos where we know who's in them and photos where we don't know one or more people in them. All our photos are sorted into labelled ziploc bags, with the exception of those in photo albums where we've just labelled the album and left it as is.

For my parents generation and lower we've sorted the photos into individual stacks, with most family photos going into my mothers pile. Photos of just a couple people went into whatever pile seemed the most relevant (ex: for me and my twin sisters, there's two of them so it went into their pile. The twins pile had to be combined as so many pictures featured both of them, especially when young). Nieces/nephews were included in their parents piles. Again, all have been bagged and labelled.

The plan for scanning is to try to group similar photos together, for example a specific event or known time period. The albums are already grouped, so that's convenient. There will need to be another layer of sorting each bag before we scan to remove duplicates, group them, etc. These will be the photos that most need to be labelled as to who is who, and also the ones likely to be uploaded to genealogy sites.

When scanning photos of people still alive we're planning to drag said people in to help sort their photos by approximate time period/age and remove duplicates. We'll do those as people are available. These photos are more for personal use/sharing.

Thank you for the replies so far, and I will let you know if we find anything useful.

Comment

Thanks for the update, CanadaMel. Your sorting process sounds as if it is coming along well and I shall look forward to hearing how you get on with DigiKam. I have just had a quick look at some review pages and was instantly out of my depth
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I downloaded digikam a while back, and think I may need to revisit it, as failed miserably!
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Would the tag feature in digiKam do what you want? Would be interested to know how you get on. If it works, I would download the programme.

Comment

Working...
                X