Is this uniform fancy dress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this uniform fancy dress?

Just posting this for a friend, Any information gratefully received.

Thank you Vonny for posting this for me (it's terrible to be technically challenged)
    This photo was found in a family album and is unlabelled, so I need help with dating and thought the 'medals' might be a clue. We are wondering if it could be just fancy dress. Also the couple is unknown...possibly a Harrison. Any help gratefully appreciated!!
    Eden

Comment

Don't know if this information would throw any light on the uniform. Maybe Tuttle bought it with him from America?
      Last edited by Yvonne from Oz; 19-01-13, 05:23.

Comment

The faces look clearer (more in focus?) than the rest of the photo. Also the woman's hair looks unnaturally flat on the top - might it be one of those studio photographic sets where the subjects poke their heads/faces into holes in a painted wooden board?

ETA - have just read the link about the photographer - if he travelled around taking photos, then he could have taken a range of "sets" (painted boards) with him, removing the need for studio sets, props etc.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-01-13, 10:12.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet. we think we may have identified the people...just not the date or the costumes, which are very out of character.
          Eden

Comment

Originally posted by Eden View Post
            Thanks Janet. we think we may have identified the people...just not the date or the costumes, which are very out of character.
            Eden
            Why not try the medals on a Military Forum - someone will know what years they were awarded and for what so that might help.

I don't think people posed in uniforms which they were not entitled to wear and certainly not with medals they had not been given. That would be very poor taste and I think 'bad form'.
            Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              Why not try the medals on a Military Forum - someone will know what years they were awarded and for what so that might help.

I don't think people posed in uniforms which they were not entitled to wear and certainly not with medals they had not been given. That would be very poor taste and I think 'bad form'.
              Margaret
              But there would be no problem in posing in a pretend uniform with pretend medals.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X