HMS Indomitable 1940s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMS Indomitable 1940s

This is another amazing photo taken by my father-in-law on board HMS Indomitable, probably around 1945. The pilot of the plane clearly had a bit of trouble landing it. I'm afraid I'm not very well up on planes - is it a Spitfire? In any case, could someone please give the photo a clean?
    Joy

Alan

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

And another great job Alan! Thank you so much!
      Joy

Comment

One from me
        Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Roy that looks brilliant! What a difference - thank you so much.
          Joy

Comment

Hi Joy,my Uncle Tom was a fleet air arm pilot on the Indomitable and died out in Malta in 1942.My Mum always kept his photo .A few years back I was watching a programme about the Malta convoys and they showed some film of the Convoys and Uncle Tom was on it.He was a brilliant artist and used to draw pictures of the crew which he somehow got through the censors,sadly they are lost.But he would have been one of the pilots your Father in law served with.
            Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Lewis View Post
              This is another amazing photo taken by my father-in-law on board HMS Indomitable, probably around 1945. The pilot of the plane clearly had a bit of trouble landing it. I'm afraid I'm not very well up on planes - is it a Spitfire? In any case, could someone please give the photo a clean?
              It is a Seafire which was the Naval equivalent of the Spitfire.
              joboy

Comment

Many thanks, joboy, for the information on the plane - I was nearly right! I can now label the photo correctly. Thanks too, Barb, for the story about your uncle - how sad that he didn't survive, and that you don't have his paintings. My father-in-law didn't join The Indomitable until 1944, so unfortunately he wouldn't have served at the same time as your uncle. But it's nice to share information with you.
                Joy

Comment

Working...
                X