is she here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is she here?

I am trying to find the woman in my other post, Can anyone see her here? This picture was taken in 1903

Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

I recognise the man straight away, third from right. Unfortunately cannot see the woman anywhere, though interestingly I see the same foreign looks on some of the women, actually looks like it might be a Latin American link to me ,more than a Jewish one.

Comment

Thanks Richard, I was thinking that as I was looking through the picture after all the other comments.

The woman sitting next to the old man is his second wife, and the large lady standing next to him is his sister.
      Vikki -

Comment

I can see who you think it might be, the lady with the well dressed baby on her knee, but it's very hard to tell and I don't think so although there is a resemblance. As I said before my exotic looking relatives were Yorkshire all the way back which was so disappointing for me and my fantasy about spanish dancers or something....:o

Comment

It could be a Gypsy connection. There's no agreement about when they come over, only the main lot came late 1400's early 1500's probably over the channel from France, though some may have come directly from balkans.

That said the Romanies were twice chucked out of Spain, once after Ferdinand and Isabella came to power in 1490's and imposed the inquisition. Some Romanies definently came to Scotland at that time, and moved down into England.

However there was another mass expulsion in 1690's and many of the 'darker' more exotic Romany families in U.K may actually trace their ancestors back to them. Would explain the 'Spanish' look...

I know the family looks very well to do, and it doesn't seem likely, it's usally the other way round isn't it, lords or ladies running off with the Gypsies, but at this time there was a sort of romanticism of Gypsies, lots of the upper classes and aristocrats started the Gypsy Society, and at least one I know of married a Gypsy lady and moved her into his home. So it's not impossible.

Also these Gypsies in general adopted English surnames very early on, so wouldn't neccesarily have obviously foreign surnames.

Any way may be totally wrong..but something to ponder over!
          Last edited by Richard; 14-11-07, 15:04.

Comment

The child sitting at the feet of the bride looks remarkably like one of the three children in the other photo!

OC

Comment

the one with the baby on her knee is the same one on your other thread but smaller picture brenda xxx

Comment

Brenda

I think you might be right - if you look closely she has the same type of elaborate hand made lace collar.

She must be quite closely related to either bride or groom, as she is sitting at the front - although maybe because of the baby?

OC

Comment

What is that in the foreground ? looks like it was covered with sacking??
                  Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                    What is that in the foreground ? looks like it was covered with sacking??
                    Looks like a carpet .... there's a slight pattern which is difficult to make out

Maybe it was being used as a weed suppressant

Any chance of doing a better scan Vikki ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I think the "carpet" is covering a newly-dug grave and the wedding group is in the churchyard. Perhaps the grave has some significance to them as a family?

The pattern on the carpet reminds me of something - off to see if I can find out what! (It may just be a bit of carpet of course, lol!)

OC

Comment

Hi All

Sorry been hectic day

The picture was taken in the garden (So no newly dug graves I'm affraid, Well at least none that I know of.!!)

From what I could tell on the original, it seems to be some sort of carpet / rug / throw thing to cover the ground and add flora and Fauna

Its the best scan I have I'm afraid, if you pm me I can email you a copy. I had to give the original back to my nan.

A Gypsy connection would be funny - I found out yesterday from my Nan, during our reunion that her mother-in-laws father was a romany (sp). She even had a caravan to prove it. So I can now tell my other nan (on my mothers side) that she was right all these years, I am a little gypsy:D

I did notice that some of the ladies have a slightly darker looks, I just wish I knew why
                        Vikki -

Comment

You've got the gypsy spanish dancers! that is NOT fair!!......:o

Comment

Sorry Barbara, I'll share it with you, Shhhh don't tell anyone though :D
                            Vikki -

Comment

Vicki, You could ask Julie (dark secrets) to try and enhance or clean up the photo.....Its a beautiful photo
                              Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

Originally posted by Rosi Glow View Post
                                Vicki, You could ask Julie (dark secrets) to try and enhance or clean up the photo.....Its a beautiful photo

In order to enlarge it without so much pixelation (distortions) it needs to be scanned at a higher resolution
                                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X