Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these the same people? (help with identification please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these the same people? (help with identification please)

Hi, I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me in detirmining whether a picture I found in a book full of local historical pictures, is actually a shot of my own great-great grandparents. It does sound a little far-fetched to stumble across a picture of your ancestors in a book, although I'm convinced that the couple shown in the picture are my Thomas Theobald (b. 1882) and Mary Bullimore (b. 1883).

The reason I'm so sure is because everything seems to fit and fall into place. Namely, the photograph was taken in Derby in 1907, and the only picture I have of Thomas and Mary was taken during this period (although it is regretably very faded). The similarity between my Thomas and the man in the photograph is uncanny, however. They have an identical pipe, an identical jacket, an identical brow, an identical top lip, identical ears, an identical hairline, everything! While I have no clear view of Mary in my own photograph, the image of the woman from the back matches the elderly Mary precisely when you compare them facially - the same open mouthed look, the same eyes, the same nose... I showed the picture to my grandfather (it was his grandmother) and he himself remarked it was uncanny although, not having seen her as a young woman, was unable to say whether it was her for sure. He had not known his grandfather.

So I was wondering whether any of you kind people would be able to help me positively identify the two people in the photograph, or if you have any knowledge as to how I would go about detirmining whether they are in fact my great-great grandparents. Or will I simply never know? :(

I've attached the relevant pictures in this message. The image from the book shows a party scene and the man and woman in question are the man sat down in the left hand corner, and the woman dressed in white who is sat in front of the boy. My own picture of the two shows Thomas standing by his horse and Mary sat in the carriage with her newborn baby. I've also included the pictures I have of Mary as an older woman.

Many thanks for your time!

My photo:

Photo from the book:

Mary as an older woman:

The man's face is a similar shape but I cannot agree that the pipe and jacket are identical, or the hairline which is obscured by the peak of his cap. I'm afraid woman in the first photo is too indistinct for me to make a comparison.

Comment

I agree there are similarities, more especially with the woman. As you say the slightly open mouth is very similar and slightly strange! I also think the boy with the pipe (standing left) in the 'party' picture looks like the woman - perhaps a younger brother? And now I look again the older woman on the far right has the same look!

I'm less sure about the man.

Anne

Comment

Thank you very much for such prompt responses! Now you mention it Jill, yes, the pipe and jacket are not quite as identical as I had originally supposed. It's interesting that you say the woman bears a greater resemblance than the man, Anne, as we had all thought the opposite! The mouth thing is very strange indeed, although now you mention it it does indeed seem to be a family trait.

It's unfortunate that the only picture of Thomas and Mary I have is in such a bad condition, but I feel that I must say that what originally caught our attention in the book picture was the extraordinary 'Theobald' look which the man has, and which I suppose is not so easily seen in my faded photo of Thomas. Here's a picture of Thomas's father Frederick, and son Thomas, to give a hint at the distinct appearance (such as quite narrow eyes, largish ears, etc.) I'm talking about:

Frederick Theobald:

Thomas Theobald Jr:

Thanks again!
        Last edited by lordedmund; 26-08-10, 23:11.

Comment

the first pic i think he is wearing glasses....so maybe not the same man brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
          X