date of photo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• date of photo question

we have just done a bit of a family heritage trail.... We think this is Alexander McKerrow born 1835 died 1909 so obviously this photo would be before 1909 any thoughts if this is correct please? We think its him because of the amount of medals he is wearing. On the back is says dada crimea and I know he was in Crimean as well as Indian . the lady is Agnes whom I think is his grand daughter
    image.png

I think that photo would have been taken in the 1920s or 1930s. The clothing of both of them is much later than 1909. Specially his cardigan, which I love with his medals! If it wasn't for her 1920s/30s dress I might have said 1940s with a cardigan like that.

Anne

Comment

Agree with you Anne. That’s the sort of clothing my mother wore post war (she was born 1901). Further the hem line is another clue, belongs to the flapper era, around the early 20’s start.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Agree with 1920’s / 30’s.There are photos like that of my Aunts Jenny and Nan from those decades.
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 24-05-23, 12:43.

Comment

Thanks. I was a bit suspicious about the date. so that cant be Alexander mckerrow. We went to Scotland for a couple of days to collect the last few belongings of my aunt and there were a few photos. I know Alexander my great great grandfather served in many wars. My great grandfather was an art master so he didnt serve in the forces. I am a bit bemused who it could be. Unless its my great aunts husband Robert Thompson. I dont really know much about his military career

Comment

this is whom I thought it was
            headstone.jpg

Comment

That's quite a row of medals he has - can you scan again, high dpi, just on the medals?

That's a very smart dress she has on, and to me (a poor judge) their faces have similarities.
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 24-05-23, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                That's quite a row of medals he has - can you scan again, high dpi, just on the medals?

That's a very smart dress she has on, and to me (a poor judge) their faces have similarities.
                image.png​I tried!!

Comment

Well I am confused by the photo now that I agree its not Alexander McKerrow but we know he served in many battles and had medals.
                  The only other one that I could think it would be would be Robert Thomson husband of my mums aunt. but we have no knowledge of any military for him. I looked for him in the census yesterday and he doesnt appear to have served. I found a couple of certificates for war credit for him with my aunts belongings.

Comment

img20230618_10273529.jpg been trying to get a better picture

Comment

I don't know much of anything about medals, but what about a website like the http://www.victorianwars.com/? the medal on the left looks to me like it has a female face.

Comment

image.png​I am totally confused as I thought these 2 men were the same one. I had always believed the man with the medals was Alexander McKerrow but as he died 1909 that photo does look too modern to have been taken before that date. On the back of the medal photo it says Dada Crimea and I know alexander was in the Crimean war, but it also says Agnes and what looks like Limmons so could possibly Simmons but so far not found who she is. You would think either daughter or granddaughter. Mums cousin once took us to the Blackwatch museum in Perth but they had no record of Alexander. I believe he may have been in the 90th Foot regiment. My military knowledge is very vague so no idea what that is. So the man in the kilt could be Alexander McKerrow. I am not sure if these photos came from mums cousin, I have just inherited them from my aunts belongings after she died in January, so its possible that the man with the medals was related to mums cousin on his fathers side but so far not been able to track down anybody who served in any wars

Comment

Have you tried to search for Alexander's military records?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            Have you tried to search for Alexander's military records?
                            I have done before but not sure where (if) I have the records. I know he was in indian mutiney and crimean. I have sent messages to people connected to the Thomson side of the family on ancestry to see if they can shed any light on this. I need to go through my paper work to see if I still have them

Comment

image.png​tThis is what I have found in one of my box files so far

Comment

The picture would appear to be of Alexander McKerrow who died 1927.
                                This is from his memorial on FindAGrave.

Alexander was apparently born in Springkell, Dumfries-shire in 1833. He enlisted in the 90th Foot Regiment in January 1855 beginning an approximately 60 year soldiering career. He served as a private in the Crimean War and at the relief of the Siege of Lucknow, India, eventually becoming a Colour Sergeant. After his first 20 years he re-enlisted and was Barrack Sergeant in Mauritius for 5 years and in Malta for 32 years. He was a gifted vocalist and amateur actor and during the Great War sang in Glasgow and other places on behalf of the Prisoners of War Fund. He died at his daughter's residence in Perth.
                                He married Elizabeth Mary Moore (1847-1911) of Dublin Ireland in India in 1867 and they had at least six children, including George (1868-1910) and Lillian (1872-1958)​

This should be the Link https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...ander-mckerrow

Rgds Matt
                                My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

wow thank you for that info. Thats really mixed things up a bit as I have no idea where he fits into my McKerrow tree or why would we even have his photo in our possession

Comment

this is really bazaar
                                    I have his details on my tree but not actually connected to any branch

Comment

that Alexander had a daughter Lillian who married Major John Linning so it must be their daughter Agnes in the photo

Comment

Working...
                                      X