Identify this Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this Uniform

I did ask about this man before , but have lost some notes, and seems we cannot find old posts on here?

I would love to know roughly what year it is and could he be a Stoker thanks
    Attached Files

You can find old posts by using advanced search, but it is difficult without having an idea of keywords you may have used as you have made so many posts over the years. I've had several attempts with no luck so far.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Pity you cannot get his right arm a little clearer and I could then be certain of what branch he is in, but my tired old eyes thinks he sees a pair of crossed guns with a star on the top indicating that he is an AB (able seaman) in the gunnery branch. Uniform is reminiscent of WW1 vintage. In both wars (1 and 2) the cap tally was reduced to HMS as a security measure. So, probably taken between 1914-18.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks I dont know what I may have used Caroline.
        Grumpy was hoping it was the first World War and the man I think was born around 1880

Comment

could he by any chance be a stoker on a ship ?

Comment

What sort of info do you have on him, will have a search on here.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              could he by any chance be a stoker on a ship ?
              stoker query.jpg

stoker query 2.JPGgunner query.JPG

I have enlarged it as far as I can but unable to make it any clearer.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kat are you saying those are whats on his uniform ??? so he is a Stoker , please say yes.
                Carolyn I know nothing about him this photo was amongst my nans, written on the back it says missing in action, its written by nans cousin.

Comment

Having a further look at Kats enlargement I am nearly convinced that the badge on this mans arm is of a gun layer. Note how the faint lines of the badge seem to cross at 90 degrees rather than 60 degrees from what you expect from the three bladed propeller of a stokers badge.
                  I came to this conclusion after further expanding the photo on my I-pad.

Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    Kat are you saying those are whats on his uniform ??? so he is a Stoker , please say yes.
                    Carolyn I know nothing about him this photo was amongst my nans, written on the back it says missing in action, its written by nans cousin.
                    what did you think you posted before on here? the photo?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks for enlarging it Kat, and thanks again Grumpy shall have another look at the man.

Comment

Working...
                      X