An old photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old photo

We are thinking this is my Grandfather, he looks to be about 10 years old.
    His father had a Tailors business in High St, West Bromwich, and the photo is taken at a studio in that location.
    Perhaps he was starting as a Tailor's apprentice.
    At the time of his marriage, his occupation was Tailor's cutter. Not long after he was to enter World War One and was in Greece at the time he died aged 25

Tailors apprentice.jpg
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 17-08-20, 16:26.
    ~Val~

He cuts quite a dash for a nipper! What a great photo.

Comment

love the photo - and nice that you actually know who it is.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

A lovely photo, Val. A dashing young man indeed!! You could see your face in his shiny shoes........a big hit with me.
        Jacky

Comment

What a great photo. Do you know what the objects on the pedestal are?
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
            What a great photo. Do you know what the objects on the pedestal are?
            I have gone back and blown up that area of the photo, and it would look like a briefcase type folder, with papers in front. 20200817_203146.jpg
            ~Val~

Comment

Curious. I wonder if it indicates some kind of achievement in education?
              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Something we will never know, really. Done in a photographers studio, so might just be 'props'
                ~Val~

Comment

I thought the props generally held meaning for the person having the portrait done.Not sure though.

Comment

Maybe it is a folder for 'learning'
                    ~Val~

Comment

Working...
                    X