Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas to what uniform this is please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Any ideas to what uniform this is please

    I have asked this before I am sure on here, I have no idea what this uniform is.. any input/suggestions are welcomed.
    I believe that the lady in question lived all of her life in Birmingham, UK.

    Thank you.

    SCAN0545-001.JPG
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-07-20, 08:57.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

    .......I find dead people

    #2
    Although the belt and lanyard point towards Rangers/Guides it doesn't seem to be - the belt is similar, but they didn't/don't wear jackets and ties.

    https://lesliesguidinghistory.webs.com/guides.htm

    I had wondered about this but the belt isn't right. https://blog.britishnewspaperarchive...AF-uniform.jpg

    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

    Comment


      #3
      Maybe the junior section of the BBs??
      The Boys Brigade junior section are known as The Life Boys.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        Maybe the junior section of the BBs??
        The Boys Brigade junior section are known as The Life Boys.
        I looked at the Girl's Brigade.

        What is puzzling is her jacket with a shirt and tie underneath, rather than the all-in-one tops they all seem to wear with the tie on top and the "jacket" seems thicker fabric.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

        Comment


          #5
          I haven't a scooby, Just nipped downstairs to get something but have to go back up as I'm in the middle of a bombsite. I'm sorry that I'm not able to reply as quick as normal
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

          .......I find dead people

          Comment


            #6
            How old do you think she is? When approx do you think it was taken? I'm wondering about an early version of the Guide or Scout Leader uniform? Edit: Yes try Googling Guiding history. some of the Leader's uniforms look similar to this.
            Anne

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              How old do you think she is? When approx do you think it was taken? I'm wondering about an early version of the Guide or Scout Leader uniform? Edit: Yes try Googling Guiding history. some of the Leader's uniforms look similar to this.
              Anne
              I'm not sure just how old she would have been.. maybe 40? she was born in 1898 in Birmingham UK
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

              .......I find dead people

              Comment


                #8
                Do you know her name? Wonder if worth a search in the papers to see if she is mentioned.

                If she is around 40 then the beginning of the war?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

                Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'm betting a Girl Guide Leader.
                  Anne

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    I'm betting a Girl Guide Leader.
                    Anne
                    the lanyard thingy def looks like GG - there are lots of photos with that - Princess Elizabeth. I did wonder if maybe the belt could be a different era, in those times it might not be possible to afford all of the uniform new, so some from different eras. Can only see a round one from Estonia on Ebay.

                    Did find this image for a belt and it is boys brigade as GL suggests
                    https://www.dukes-auctions.com/aucti...Be+Prepared%27
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

                    Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      Do you know her name? Wonder if worth a search in the papers to see if she is mentioned.

                      If she is around 40 then the beginning of the war?
                      I believe her name to be Violet Poole b.1898 and I think we may have the uniform! The Girls Life Brigade! [courtesy of Mandy in Wiltshire & Durham lady/Daphne]

                      I need to do a bit more googling about it and see if I can find a contact for the GLB. Tired much need my bed!..
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                      .......I find dead people

                      Comment


                        #12
                        did I read life brigade and brigade joined forces? did look in papers for her name and didn't find it..
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

                        Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          did I read life brigade and brigade joined forces? did look in papers for her name and didn't find it..
                          I think so yes, from what I have been reading and I have been on LGB website but there isn't a contact us to contact them!.. lol..

                          I have also been trying to find information on Francis George BELTON he was a Clerk in the holy orders, I know that he was Canon of Birmingham Cathedral and that he died in 1962, he was born 18th June 1881 though not sure where it could be Metheringham? in Lincolnshire. What I'm particularly interested in is a photo of him. I have a photo of a chap in robes/clergy dress and I'm trying to see if it is him.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                          .......I find dead people

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

                            I think so yes, from what I have been reading and I have been on LGB website but there isn't a contact us to contact them!.. lol..

                            I have also been trying to find information on Francis George BELTON he was a Clerk in the holy orders, I know that he was Canon of Birmingham Cathedral and that he died in 1962, he was born 18th June 1881 though not sure where it could be Metheringham? in Lincolnshire. What I'm particularly interested in is a photo of him. I have a photo of a chap in robes/clergy dress and I'm trying to see if it is him.
                            doesn't matter now as I have found a photo of him.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                            .......I find dead people

                            Comment


                              #15
                              83060D0B-5D51-48CB-91B5-07C581B7C07F.jpegViolet Poole b_1898 .jpg

                              These are the pictures I have... the second photo is one in my possession, and I can now properly identify as Francis George Belton and his housekeeper Violet Poole.
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                              .......I find dead people

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                83060D0B-5D51-48CB-91B5-07C581B7C07F.jpegViolet Poole b_1898 .jpg

                                These are the pictures I have... the second photo is one in my possession, and I can now properly identify as Francis George Belton and his housekeeper Violet Poole.
                                ooh how fab is that, I meant to look in papers then forgot! sorry
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

                                Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  “Anglo-Catholic”? Is that what Daddy (who was CofE) used to call the High Church?

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                    “Anglo-Catholic”? Is that what Daddy (who was CofE) used to call the High Church?
                                    I thought that was the church on the hill?

                                    I honestly have no idea whether it was or not, didn't even know there was such a beast!
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                                    .......I find dead people

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

                                      ooh how fab is that, I meant to look in papers then forgot! sorry
                                      nah, that's ok I asked on another forum, and I think that the clipping was specific to Birmingham so you might not have seen it anyway, But he did become Canon of Birmingham Cathedral too and was 80 when he died.
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

                                      .......I find dead people

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                        “Anglo-Catholic”? Is that what Daddy (who was CofE) used to call the High Church?
                                        Yes, it will be. It's what my CofE father was brought up in -he was a boat boy I'm told.

                                        https://www.britannica.com/event/Anglo-Catholicism

                                        Cardinal Newman was prominent in Birmingham - he eventually became Roman Catholic.

                                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Newman
                                        Caroline
                                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                                        Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X