No announcement yet.

Organising My Photo Collection Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The anticipation is over.............you can relax...........part 2 is here!

Hopefully you enjoyed the first part of the re-organising of my Family History photo collection and if you missed Part 1 it can be found Here So all the research, planning and purchasing of equipme…

My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

I should have mentioned that I acquired Zotero, and a handbook, for cataloguing all my digital stuff including photographs as I;'e got backup of backup of backup through the years as I changed machines/systems and it all needs sorting.

I thought of using Access so I could cross reference but couldn't be bothered to relearn it, FH would also have done some of it but it looks as though Zotero has more scope and I can start clean. I've not done anything with Zotero yet but for what it's worth. Once you've got your stuff named it might be very useful and answer the issue of group pictures?

https://organizeyourfamilyhistory.co...h-with-zotero/

Zotero is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share research.

The book - Zotero for Genealogy: Harnessing the Power of Your Research
      Last edited by Paulc; 03-05-20, 11:58.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Now, I'm pretty sure that I am going to fall at the first hurdle which is writing on the backs of all the photos - I think it would just take me too long. Are you just writing the code number or the whole name / number / date etc Also I have lots of photos on my laptop that I only have in digital form because they have been sent to me by the owner of the original or were taken in the age of digital photography.

Maybe I'm jumping ahead here but once you have created your spreadsheet list, how are you going to file the actual physical photos in a way that you can find one if you want to look at it or show someone? Is there a link between the numerical sequence and the approx dates? I'm thinking that if I was going to put my photos in an album I would want them to appear chronologically.

I'm beginning to think that Katarzyna's Gran's system was a pretty good one and it certainly adds character.

I'm not in anyway trying to criticize, just thinking out loud about how your system might work for me. I can't quite visualise it so any screenshots or pictures of it in action would be great

Just throwing in another thought... Would this be a good subject for small group zoom meeting?
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Another thought - I downloaded something like this years ago - https://softorino.com/foldercolorizer2/? - it's not on this laptop and I can't check the PC just now, but maybe that will help you with your digital folders to match your physical filing system?

You can see I had lots of good intentions/ideas, but unlike Paul I never quite finished it.

I gave this to my father one birthday and took it back when he moved to the care home.

(P.S. I see that my PC keyboard is in need of a clean. ​)
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

I should have mentioned that I acquired Zotero, and a handbook, for cataloguing all my digital stuff including photographs as I;'e got backup of backup of backup through the years as I changed machines/systems and it all needs sorting.

I thought of using Access so I could cross reference but couldn't be bothered to relearn it, FH would also have done some of it but it looks as though Zotero has more scope and I can start clean. I've not done anything with Zotero yet but for what it's worth. Once you've got your stuff named it might be very useful and answer the issue of group pictures?

https://organizeyourfamilyhistory.co...h-with-zotero/

Zotero is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share research.

The book - Zotero for Genealogy: Harnessing the Power of Your Research
            Thanks Caroline I will have a look into this.

Comment

You raise lots of great questions a lot of which I have raise myself and some I have answered and some I am still to resolve. I will try to answer what I can......

Writing on the backs, I'm doing the code and description, its taking a while I know, but I'm trying to do a batch a day, say one hour, that way I don't get too bored, but at least I am chipping away, I also don't have what I consider a massive pile of photos. Also just to clarify this is solely photographs, digital images are currently filed and logged separately, I know it sounds wrong to do that, but I have separated physical images from digital images for this project.

In terms of filing the images away, your already ahead of me, that really isn't straight forwards, as they are all different shapes and sizes which makes it impossible to file systematically in numerical order. They will be filed in 4 separate folders, one for each grandparent name, then filed as near as I can chronologically. The key bit is to sort them at the start into date order or best guess at date order, that way they are as close as possible to numerical and chronological order. Another problem is if you suddenly receive a new batch of pictures from a relative, this kind of messes that system up. I have been reading up on this for over a year now and sadly there is no perfect system, or not that I have found anyway. This was the reason I kept putting it off for so long.
              I am all up for learning and I am not taking anything you say in any way as criticism, far from it, your questions raise the same ones I raised myself so Im really pleased that you are thinking that way.

Not had a zoom before but more than happy to.

It might be a little clearer in the next part I can maybe show some examples of how it works. It's not a perfect system, but it will hopefully work for me, I think....

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
              Now, I'm pretty sure that I am going to fall at the first hurdle which is writing on the backs of all the photos - I think it would just take me too long. Are you just writing the code number or the whole name / number / date etc Also I have lots of photos on my laptop that I only have in digital form because they have been sent to me by the owner of the original or were taken in the age of digital photography.

Maybe I'm jumping ahead here but once you have created your spreadsheet list, how are you going to file the actual physical photos in a way that you can find one if you want to look at it or show someone? Is there a link between the numerical sequence and the approx dates? I'm thinking that if I was going to put my photos in an album I would want them to appear chronologically.

I'm beginning to think that Katarzyna's Gran's system was a pretty good one and it certainly adds character.

I'm not in anyway trying to criticize, just thinking out loud about how your system might work for me. I can't quite visualise it so any screenshots or pictures of it in action would be great

Just throwing in another thought... Would this be a good subject for small group zoom meeting?

Comment

I hope that all makes sense garden girl??

Comment

Thank you, Paul, I'm following your thought processes and blending them with mine.

I do think that MemoryWeb resolves some of the problems (although maybe not all and for now it is working well for me.

If anyone else would like to try a little zoom get together, I have done a few now and although I am no expert (who is?), I understand the gist of it so would be happy to set one up for those who would like a virtual discussion on photo storage.
                  Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I guess some of this is down to whether you are a hard copy or digital person. I definitely am a digital person and need to get more scanned, I have no one that would be remotely interested in hard copies in the future. The 2 albums I have been given, the givers were glad to be 'rid' of them.

However with digital I have fears if the software used goes out of date, or becomes too expensive, or works differently etc etc. So far the scans I have done lots of detail is the name of the file! a few I have put into photo editing software and added names over the top, like Kats Gran, or just added white space at the bottom.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Yes, I have digital ones where I have added a white space at the bottom to write all the names. Sadly that takes even longer than writing on the back! I'm definitely a TUIT person. Some things have a priority that only keeps them halfway up the list. Sorting and filing photos is one ... there always seems to be something more important and/or interesting to do!
                      Anne

Comment

It’s great that everyone has become involved and is contributing with lots of thoughts and ideas, lots of food for thought. I’m also a great believer in if it works for you stick with it, so if you have an existing system your happy with, stick with it!

Also software, if you love memory web Garden Girl, then stick with that.

I actually stumbled across some software that I think will help solve some of my issues, it’s only available on a Mac and the link is here.

Want a simple way to crop scanned photos, add and embed metadata, and export with captions? Try the new SnipTag app to make this as easy as ...

£20 for a forever subscription and adds metadata and also adds data to the front of an image if you want it to and also you can scan multiple images at once which it will crop at the same time, ticks all my boxes

Comment

That sounds as if it does a similar job to MemoryWeb, Paul, so I'll be interested to hear later how you get on with it. Keep us posted.

Comment

Of course I will, it’s like all these types of things, it’s a steep learning curve and we do get hooked on things if we find them easy to use and they do what we need them to do

Comment

Part 3 is finally here!! Apologies for the delay, but had a few family difficulties to negotiate

Apologies for the slight delay between these blogs, family issues kind of got in the way of this project. I hope that are enjoying my Family History Photograph reorganisation series of blogs and if…

Comment

Working...
                              X