Organising My Photo Collection Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organising My Photo Collection Part 1

After literally years and years of collecting Family History Photos and really not preserving them, labelling them, or looking after them with the care that they deserved, I have finally decided to re-organise, digitise, scan, catalog, label and store my photo collection.

After years and years of thinking about it and putting it off I have finally made a start, I will be documenting the whole process from choice of materials, storage, media etc and wanted to share with you the process. I looked online on various forums and websites, to get tips and ideas, and I think it's certainly worthwhile reading and looking at examples of what others have done, which is why I wanted to share this with you.

Inspired totally, by the fantastic talk that I attended at #RootsTech London, by the wonderful Amberly Black (@genealogygirl_), I have finally started to sort, organise, catalog, digitise and archi…
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Well that was a teaser! How long do we have to wait for Part 2? I'm itching to know now what you did next
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

It’s currently written but not quite finished........

Comment

Don't keep me in suspense for too long.......
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I promise I won’t

Comment

Something I have been planning to do for more than 10 years! I have bagfuls of photos, including many repeats. These have come about as collections from grandparents and then parents have all come to me. I have scanned quite a lot but they all live in envelopes and bags roughly but not consistently sorted into groups.

So here's the first 'problem' I spotted on your blog. Writing on the reverse of the photo. I have, to my shame, spoilt some by using the wrong medium! I did ask this question years ago and never got a satisfactory answer. A soft pencil seemed to be the most popular but some types of photo paper won't take pencil properly and then the temptation to press too hard comes. Biro can transfer to other photos if they are stacked, with other ink the same. Sticking a label on the back seems an idea but come back years later and the label falls off.

....... So I just don't start! I'll be watching how you get on, so don't give up! Maybe the pressure of us watching will keep you at it
            Anne

Comment

This is how my Gran preserved photos, Paul. Not the approved way . However, using these and those written on the backs from amongst the boxes of photos I inherited, I have been able to recognise quite a few of the previously unknowns

Naming photographs.jpg
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                This is how my Gran preserved photos, Paul. Not the approved way . However, using these and those written on the backs from amongst the boxes of photos I inherited, I have been able to recognise quite a few of the previously unknowns

Naming photographs.jpg
                I think that is great, adds to the character of the photo, and her writing too, and at least you keep the important part intact. These days with all the digital tools it must be easily removable on a scan.

I don't have any old photos apart from 2 albums of mostly unnamed photos.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I've got a big pile of filing stuff from MyHistory - I got as far as using some of it to file my grandmother's things, but then stopped because soon after that I acquired all my mothers' things, then I had to empty my father's flat and acquired his and yet more family stuff ..... ... ... .. . . . . . . . . . . . . and all those photos too ... . . . . I did empty all the photo packets and sorted them into boxes like these though.

https://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk...torage-boxes/?

That somehow makes it seem less daunting.

(I threw out their boxes of holiday albums and just kept the pictures with them in, endless pictures of greek and roman theatres worldwide had little appeal or room (!) and they have all been sent already to various museums.)

Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have been using MemoryWeb which I really like but I won't sidetrack Paul's thread talking about it. I think I might have mentioned it somewhere before on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                      Something I have been planning to do for more than 10 years! I have bagfuls of photos, including many repeats. These have come about as collections from grandparents and then parents have all come to me. I have scanned quite a lot but they all live in envelopes and bags roughly but not consistently sorted into groups.

So here's the first 'problem' I spotted on your blog. Writing on the reverse of the photo. I have, to my shame, spoilt some by using the wrong medium! I did ask this question years ago and never got a satisfactory answer. A soft pencil seemed to be the most popular but some types of photo paper won't take pencil properly and then the temptation to press too hard comes. Biro can transfer to other photos if they are stacked, with other ink the same. Sticking a label on the back seems an idea but come back years later and the label falls off.

....... So I just don't start! I'll be watching how you get on, so don't give up! Maybe the pressure of us watching will keep you at it
                      Anne
                      I will try and answer a few questions if I can. I can feel the pressure.......

You can buy specific archive approved pens and pencils, pencils for the back, a soft pencil is the preferred method. Pressing hard is a no no, it’s probably a case of experimenting with different types of pencils depending on the photo paper, not sure if that totally answers your question Anne.

I was like you as well I kept putting it off, I always had a different reason nomto start, it’s only taken me 20 years, so you’ve no need to rush Anne!

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post

Naming photographs.jpg
                        I have seen lots of photos like this Katarzyna and like Carolyn says, I think it adds character.

Comment

Do it in bite size chunks Caroline, as I said in the blog, you can’t eat the whole elephant with one bite. Also if you try to do much you’ll lose interest and get bored.

First thing is to sort them into family groups, I separated mine into my four grandparents.

Then leave it for a bit and come back to it a few weeks later.

Small steps.......the hardest step is the first one.

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                          I've got a big pile of filing stuff from MyHistory - I got as far as using some of it to file my grandmother's things, but then stopped because soon after that I acquired all my mothers' things, then I had to empty my father's flat and acquired his and yet more family stuff ..... ... ... .. . . . . . . . . . . . . and all those photos too ... . . . . I did empty all the photo packets and sorted them into boxes like these though.

https://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk...torage-boxes/?

That somehow makes it seem less daunting.

(I threw out their boxes of holiday albums and just kept the pictures with them in, endless pictures of greek and roman theatres worldwide had little appeal or room (!) and they have all been sent already to various museums.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                            I have been using MemoryWeb which I really like but I won't sidetrack Paul's thread talking about it. I think I might have mentioned it somewhere before on here.
                            Feel free, I’m only documenting my progress because I wished I had something like myself to copy from

Comment

Well that was a teaser! How long do we have to wait for Part 2? I'm itching to know now what you did next
                              Part 2 should be out tomorrow

Comment

Here's the link to the Podcasts thread where we were talking about MemoryWeb

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                  Do it in bite size chunks Caroline, as I said in the blog, you can’t eat the whole elephant with one bite. Also if you try to do much you’ll lose interest and get bored.

First thing is to sort them into family groups, I separated mine into my four grandparents.

Then leave it for a bit and come back to it a few weeks later.

Small steps.......the hardest step is the first one.

As I said, that's what I have done. I thought the boxes might prove useful for you.
                                  Caroline
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Here's the link to the Podcasts thread where we were talking about MemoryWeb

https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...odcasts-anyone
                                    Thanks will have a look later

Comment

Definitely thanks Caroline, I have lots more of some families than others? Is that normal?

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

As I said, that's what I have done. I thought the boxes might prove useful for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                        Definitely thanks Caroline, I have lots more of some families than others? Is that normal?
                                        We have very little from my paternal side - my uncle caught his mother throwing out a lot of of stuff and when her spinster sister died there was nobody to sort things out and the same thing happened.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X