Old lady behind the hidden woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old lady behind the hidden woman

The other day when my artist uncle took his own painting out of an old frame he knew there was a colourised photo of an unknown young woman underneath as it had hung in his parents' home all his life (he was born in 1935), but he didn't know that under that was yet another, of an old unhappy, cold looking old lady. No clues on the back just "B&C" has been scrawled on it. We don't know who she is.

I'd be interested in any suggestions of date based on the clothing or any other clues please.

Immediately thought of the old Queen Mary who wore identical hats!

OC

Comment

what is that on her lap some kind of mink stole? with head included? I have no expertise at all, but was wondering if that would help date it?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Yes it does look very like a toque.

Comment

The problem is - my Victorian aunties were still we aring toques andfox furs well into the 50s, waste not want not, you know, so your photo could be any time from about 1900 to 1960!

There, wasn't that helpful!

OC

Comment

The toque is the hat?

did find this
            A Comprehensive Guide on How to Identify Fur: For an in-depth guide on fur animals and their production, make sure to check out what I have to say about the topic.

but not sure it helps, odd it is on her lap, like a muff, but assume it to be a stole?

it seems to have a bushy tail, and not a fox head, a beaver?

but like you say could have had it for years and in fact years! Living somewhere cold....
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

maybe it is a pet on her lap hee hee

https://www.vestiairecollective.com/...-6635451.shtml

If it was beaver maybe not a person living in the UK?
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                what is that on her lap some kind of mink stole? with head included? I have no expertise at all, but was wondering if that would help date it?
                If it's fur than it indicates someone reasonably well off, I don't know if the "tail" is that or a smudge.

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                The problem is - my Victorian aunties were still we aring toques andfox furs well into the 50s, waste not want not, you know, so your photo could be any time from about 1900 to 1960!

There, wasn't that helpful!

OC
                There used to be a fox fur in the dressing up box with a flat dried head and glass eyes at my primary school in the 60s, the modern generation would have forty fits!

My uncle thinks it's his mother's side of the family, as he says there were photographers in Littlehampton which produced this sort of thing. I was leaning towards his father's side who we know had more money, but we already have beautiful photos of them rather than this effort.

I asked about the frame, plain oak 3" wide concave section, so not an expensive one, picture was in a beige oval mount.

Comment

Apart from a fox fur with imitation eyes my grandmother used to use a fur hand warmer. Maybe it is that.
                  My guess on the age would be between 1875 and early 1900’s.
                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post

If it's fur than it indicates someone reasonably well off, I don't know if the "tail" is that or a smudge.
                    ...that was what I was thinking, and if beaver I think even more. I can't decide if a smudge either. maybe in real life it might just be better.

if someone was a budding artist, it may have even been painted from a photo anyway. And this is just a hobby painting.

Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

My aunties weren't well off, what you might call respectable working class, but they all had furs, usually marten rather than fox because that was cheaper. The lady in the photo isn't wearing marten though.

OC

Comment

I think she also has a fur collar. It also occurs to me that the chair looks rather less fancy than some I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                        X