Rootsweb help, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rootsweb help, please!

I have found an interesting message on Rootsweb which concerns my 3 x GGF.

For the life of me, I cannot see how to reply to the post - the help section says "click on reply" - but there isn't a reply button to click on!

I am logged in, etc. What am I doing wrong???

OC

Just checked the rootsweb message boards. On mine it says

reply report abuse print

along the bottom of the message.

You should be able to just click on the "reply" to get a message format. Or is it different for you?
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

Comment

No, I don't see any of that!

Hmmm... I see I have added to my tally of pop-ups blocked today, could it be something to do with that???

OC

Comment

Sorry, lost internet connection.

It does not appear to be a popup to me. Below is an enquiry that I have just looked at on Rootsweb. See at the bottom of the message, Reply Report Abuse Print. On the real screen these are blue and you can click on them.

HMS CHATHAM 1923
        Tina_Grieve (View posts) Posted: 5 Jan 2008 10:40PM GMT

Classification: Query
        Surnames: Baker
        I am looking for anyone who arrived in Auckland NZ on HMS Chatham. My grandfather Stephen Baker married a local woman and they had a daughter. I would appreciated any information from anyone who was on board the Chatham and took up residence in New Zealand, or who may have known Stephen.
        Reply Report Abuse Print
        Christine
        Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
        Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Right, off for a look!

OC

EDIT

Ah, I think I understand. I havent subscribed to the mailing lists, perhaps that's it.

In the meantime I have sent an email to the Archiver, as his was the only addy I could find! And in the meantime, I investigated the info on the thread and they are my relatives. Hope I can link up with the original poster as I have a lot of information for her.

As an aside, here is a classic example of the need to get the certs!

My man appears with his parents, unmarried, in 1851,61,71 and 81. The poster on Rootsweb has him, married, in 1891 and 1901 and doesn't seem to be aware that in fact, he married in 1872, produced three children and then his wife died and the children were packed off to her relatives.

He never appears on a census with his first wife and if you go on census info alone, you would think the second marriage was the first!

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 06-01-08, 08:02.

Comment

Failing that OC, you should be able to click on the name of the person posting the message, (which should be in blue,) and get their email address.

That should be the address that Rootsweb sends a message to letting them know that you have replied, if you manage to do that. So if that address no longer works they won't get notification anyway.
            Christine
            Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Ah-ha, the mailing lists not the message boards! They confuse me as well and I tend to avoid them!

:D
              Christine
              Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Unfortunately my computer won't let me use a direct reply by clicking on the email addy - up comes the box to type in ok, but when I try to send it, I haven't got POP3 server or something.

So I do it the hard way through my own email account. Just hope he doesn't bin it because he doesn't recognise my name!

OC

Comment

Working...
                X