Any Irish experts please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Irish experts please?

I know I could do this the hard way, but is there anybody familiar with Ireland who could tell me which of these towns are in County Down, please? Only if you can say off the top of your head; I wouldn't want anybody to look them all up for me!

Slater's Commercial Directory of Ireland 1846 - Ulster
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

off the top of my head: Belfast, Banbridge, Downpatrick, Dromore, Hillsborough, Newcastle, Newry, Rathfriland, Rostrevor, Saintfield, Warrenpoint

Wikipedia is quite a quick way of checking counties - just type in the name of the town and the county is normally in the first sentence.

For example: Saintfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Saintfield (in Irish: Tamhnach Naomh, ie Field of Saints) is a market town located in mid-County Down, Northern Ireland, situated roughly halfway between Belfast and Downpatrick on the A7 road."
    Last edited by Cloggie; 23-10-08, 14:49.
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks, Sarah. I thought Belfast was in County Antrim, though?
      KiteRunner

Comment

most of it is in Antrim but part is in Down.

County Antrim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        The majority of the capital city of Northern Ireland, Belfast, is also in County Antrim, with the remainder being in County Down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast...constituencies)
        Belfast is the largest city and capital of Northern Ireland. It is partly located in County Antrim and partly in County Down
        Sarah

Comment

Lisburn is also split between Antrim and Down, and Newry is split between Down and Armagh.
          Sarah

Comment

Oh, right, thanks.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Good to know Ireland is at least consistent in being impossible to research!:(

I'm leaving my Irish lot till I'm a bit more grown-up, in FH research terms!:o

Bee.
              Last edited by Bee; 23-10-08, 15:43. Reason: Grammar!
              Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
              COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

I found a list of towns in County Down and now I'm going through the ones I hadn't already looked at. I'm just trying to find OH's ancestor as I know he lived somewhere in County Down! At least there are quite a few muslin manufacturers listed, so it looks hopeful - but maybe he worked for one of them instead of having his own business in which case I don't think he will be listed.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Kite, have you tried Ros Davies' site? She has a great collection of information in the Surnames section and adds to it regularly: front page
                  Also lots of information on places in Down: Townlands front page

Raymond Kelly's site is also very good: http://www.raymondscountydownwebsite...tml/index2.htm
                  Sarah

Comment

Peter J. Meaney's site is also worth a look, depending what part of Down they came from: Co Down Stuff
                    Sarah

Comment

Newtownards....

Bangor.....

Donaghadee.....

Millisle......

Can only mention these ones off the top of my head.

Actually Millisle is a village in Newtownards and there is also Groomsport but thats another village (in Bangor)
                      Last edited by BigShaz McCreadie; 23-10-08, 16:49.
                      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thanks, Shaz. I had already looked at those towns but thanks!

Sarah, I don't know what part of Down they came from - that's what I'm hoping to find out, lol!
                        KiteRunner

Comment

No luck in the surnames section on Ros Davies' site? for any possible clues as to where they might have come from? Of course that's probably only useful if it's a relatively uncommon name though.
                          Sarah

Comment

I don't think they originated from Ireland, Sarah - the name (Sloper) is very rare in Ireland. So I reckon they moved from England to Ireland and then back again a few generations later!
                            I've found a Margaret Sloper on Griffith's Valuation at Conlig, Bangor, County Down who I think might be the widow of Simon Sloper, and also I found a Simon Sloper at Donaghadee - but I don't think he's the right Simon because he is a farmer and has children getting married after OH's ancestors had moved to England, and OH's Simon was a muslin manufacturer / master weaver. But I'm sure they must be related somehow. Anyway, that surname list has a George Sloper at Bangor in 1798 who may be connected to them too, and I already had a note that a John Sloper was a freeholder in Bangor in 1790. Thanks for the tip.
                            Last edited by KiteRunner; 24-10-08, 12:09.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                            X