adoption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right I'm getting somewhere now!

It's taken me until now to realise we are looking at a difference of 100 pages 676 or 576!!

Free BMD have transcribed the GRO page number as 676. The actual GRO index PAGE on Ancestry does look a bit like 576, but I don't think it is. I think it's 676.

Jackie, are you looking at the original page and possibly mis-reading it??!

Comment

If the ancestry FreeBMD database doesn't match the one on FreeBMD then it could be that there has been a correction - the one on ancestry is updated later than the one on FreeBMD's own website. Looking at the actual image of the index, the first digit is a 6 but is a bit faded so part of it is missing and it could easily be misread as a 5. However, we can be sure it is a 6 because vol 11a p 576 was Newport, Monmouthshire, not Cardiff. This shows it is always worth checking the image of the index before ordering a cert.

By the way, if an "out of range" page number is displayed on FreeBMD's own website then the district name will be in italics to show there is something funny, but I don't think ancestry do that on their copy of the FreeBMD database.

Sorry, Margaret, but I'll have to delete your post as many of the people on that list may well still be alive.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

To see entries not yet transcribed by FreeBMD you need to go to the home page and in the very middle click

Go directly to UK Birth, Marriage and Death records

On the next page click one of these three:

"Complete BMD Index ranges & Images 1837-1983

This collection is complete but your search result will indicate the first and last name on the relevant page (image). Once you’ve opened the image you can then scroll down and look for your ancestor yourself on the page. If you’re looking for events from around 1920 to 1983 you will need to search here.

Births

Marriages

Deaths"

then fill in the name and year/Q you need. You can then view the appropriate page.

Comment

Ahh, you're looking at the image for the registration - we're looking at the transcription.

The image does actually say 676, not 576.
          Tracy

Comment

Ok

Think Jackie may have been looking at the full images on Ancestry

If you look for Inez R Morgan in 2nd qtr 1923 on full images it looks like it could be 576 but is probably 676

Comment

You were a split second in front of me Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                If the ancestry FreeBMD database doesn't match the one on FreeBMD then it could be that there has been a correction - the one on ancestry is updated later than the one on FreeBMD's own website. Looking at the actual image of the index, the first digit is a 6 but is a bit faded so part of it is missing and it could easily be misread as a 5. However, we can be sure it is a 6 because vol 11a p 576 was Newport, Monmouthshire, not Cardiff. This shows it is always worth checking the image of the index before ordering a cert.

By the way, if an "out of range" page number is displayed on FreeBMD's own website then the district name will be in italics to show there is something funny, but I don't think ancestry do that on their copy of the FreeBMD database.

Sorry, Margaret, but I'll have to delete your post as many of the people on that list may well still be alive.

ooops Sorry Kate

Didn't give that a thought :o:o

Comment

I should think Jackie has had to go for a lie down after all this! lolol :D

Comment

ok thank you all for your time in helping me.

i will send for these birth certificates....11a 576, 11a 676 and 11a s'1933 (dunno if i can with this strange number or not - can't find how to look this one up...anyone fancy helping me one last time? lol)

Comment

Originally posted by jackiex_x View Post
                      ok thank you all for your time in helping me.

i will send for these birth certificates....11a 576, 11a 676 and 11a s'1933 (dunno if i can with this strange number or not - can't find how to look this one up...anyone fancy helping me one last time? lol)
                      Try post 43 again!

Comment

Don't send for 11a 576, you will waste your £7, the number is 676.

Comment

I would apply to Cardiff reg office. tell them there are three entries in the GRO indexes (they won't be interested in the ref numbers, only the year and quarter for each reg) and ask them how much money they need for you to get all the info. I would hate for you to order all three certs and end up with either one or two certs because one has been suppressed or two of them have the same info or whatever. Def a case for the local reg this time.

Comment

The Register Office, 48 Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3LU.
                            Tel: 029 2087 1690. Fax: 029 2037 1109.
                            E-mail: registrars@cardiff.gov.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                              I should think Jackie has had to go for a lie down after all this! lolol :D
                              lolol yes it's quite intense!

Comment

Jackie

I would do as Merry suggests and email the Cardiff Registry Office.

Give them the name and date of birth - you do not need the GRO index number, as it means nothing to Cardiff RO, who have their own numbering system.

Tell them it was re-registered in 1933 under the name of Lunn, and ask them how much it will cost to get the most information, that is, do you have to buy one cert or two?

If you are lucky and someone is in a helpful mood, they will tell you that the original cert does not contain the name of the father, so it will only coat you the price of one cert - £7.00, plus (possibly) a bit for postage.

OC

Comment

ok we got there eventually...you are all sooo helpful I REALLY appreciate all of your advice..THANK YOU VERY MUCH ;):D

I will phone cardiff on Monday and do as you suggested..... this is a mystery...too much for a newbie to handle hehe.

hopefully I will be as experienced as you all one day and be able to be as helpful to others.

thanks again all.

Comment

Let us know what it says on the cert(s), won't you?
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes Jackie, I'm intrigued, so please keep us up to date with this!
                                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ok will do :-)

Comment

Working...
                                        X