War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did she know she was a widow????
    She probably had no idea! I expect she classed herself as one if her OH wasn't supporting her and if she didn't know where he was.

Of course, it could all be legitimate and she knew exactly where he was all the time and that he did die and on what date and through what circumstance, but personally I think the first option is the more likely! lol

Comment

On FreeBmd your Daniel has been squeezed into the lists as an afterthought, do you think this is because he was a catholic or just an oversight in the lists? The church was apparently built in Swallowfield as "Sonning was to far away", whereas St Marys, Reading is older and closer and seems to be the choice of most 'Baileys' from the area do you think again this could be a faith following problem. My father in-law was married at St Mary's and was also by birth (but not practice) a catholic, I would be interested in your views.

Comment

Southwick - are you saying that St. Mary's is/was catholic? And the church in Swallowfield? I've lived in the area all of my adult life, and thought St. Mary's was High Church of England..... certainly it would have been a fair hike from Swallowfield to Sonning in those days, but St. Andrews in Sonning is, I think, also CofE.

Sheila - I live about 4 miles from Swallowfield and belong to a local Forum, do you want me to try to find out if anybody knows more on there?
        Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Not knowing the denomination of St Mary's I was just interested as Daniel was married as a rc in Chelsea, where would he have gone to church in Swallowfield if that was his faith?

Comment

I don't know off hand, but I'll ask around, and be back.
            Dorothy G

Comment

Originally posted by Southwick View Post
              On FreeBmd your Daniel has been squeezed into the lists as an afterthought, do you think this is because he was a catholic or just an oversight in the lists?
              Southwick, I think you mean on the actual GRO marriage index, don't you? The image I looked at was so bad that I can't really make out what it says but if it's an entry that has been squeezed in between two other lines then it must either have been received late by the GRO, or the index card got lost and then found again! If the reason was that the GRO received the marriage certificate late, then Martina's index entry should also be "squeezed in" between the lines, but hers is written in normally so I would think it was just a clerical error with Daniel's index card being out of sequence.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Good Morning All , First, I think that it was Martina Oates that was RC as her mother Cathrine Rogan born in Dublin c1808 was Irish .Martina was married at St. Mary's RC Church Chelsea, my lot seem not to go to any church as most of the later ones were married in Regestry Offices .With the women of the bride standing around with boiling water, and towles, if you know what I mean . According to Daniel's mother & father's Marriage certificate from the GRO ( 1839 ) St Mary's Reading was " Parish Church " of the "Established Church " in Reading

I was going to ask Merry what was the year of the census Emily A K A Martina became a Widow, as I have now cancelled my subscrition to Ancestry I hope that helps a little

Sheila
                I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post

I was going to ask Merry what was the year of the census Emily A K A Martina became a Widow, as I have now cancelled my subscrition to Ancestry I hope that helps a little

Sheila
                  Well, I'm not sure how cancelling your Ancestry sub helps exactly, but whichever census is was where you said she was with her parents or mother without Daniel (was that the first census after the marriage?), it was the following census where she said she was a widow.

Comment

Have checked locally - and the church in Swallowfield is C of E..... as is St. Mary's in Reading.
                    Dorothy G

Comment

How uncanny, I thought pop up to Swallowfield which is only a small place, snap the church for interest and have a look for 'Bailey' headstones, then I realised I would probably be looking for the wrong church. Sheila sent a PM which clarified where the RC connection had come from and oddly (message 27) 'Norman Rogan' was my inlaw that was married at St Mary's Reading.
                      Anyway (Wokingham district) FreeBmd
                      shows two Daniel Baileys one died in 1868 aged 49 (2c/253)
                      which makes him born around 1819 presumably the father, and Daniel born 1847 (6/186) married Martina Emily Oates 1864 probably Irish, mother Cathrine Rogan, can anyone verify this for Sheila with the 1861 or 51 census.

Comment

Probably a pointless observation, but many (some) lapsed Roman Catholics attended Anglo-Catholic churches (High Church of England).

However, wherever you marry does not affect the entry in the GRO registers.

OC

Comment

Good Morning all, O C You have clarified a point for me about inter-church B M D's . An Great Aunt told me all the family were C of E and was horrified when she was shown Daniel's wedding certificate , but even more so when she found out that Daniel's mil was Irish.
                          Sheila
                          Last edited by Sheila from Down Under; 17-10-08, 00:16.
                          I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

My local Parish church is High Anglican and there is a running joke that it is higher than the local Roman Catholic church.

There is a C of E sister church in the same parish, for those who don't like the "bells and smells"!

OC

Comment

Working...
                            X