Where do i start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do i start

Some of you may know i have been asked by my friends mum to do her husbands tree. I would love to help her as he husband has passed away.
    The information i have is:

Ian her husband parents are Walter ?sidney? Hatton
    he married a lady called Ethel either Burns or Taylor (she was previously married so one could be her original name and one her married name)
    he also married 2 other ladies one called Leslie before 1963 and Kathleen possibly Barker who was in the RAF after 1973.

Walter died in 1980 aged 73 which makes him born 1907/6 depending what months. He was known as Peter pilot but wasn't in the RAF he was a wireless person thingy (her words not mine)

Ethel died whilst Ian was at private school in cornwall or Oxfordshire making her pass away sometime between 1950-1958 which takes him to being 18.
    My question is i have all this information but where next as i can't seem to find anything on them. Somewhere there is also a tie into the Irish i believe it could be Ethel who is Irish. Just stuck as can't see anything which could tie in.

Also Walters grandmother's maden name was Templeton as this name was passed down.

Thankyou in advance for any help.

EXTRA
    They believe the marriage of Ethel and Walter was around 1940 as this was when there son was born and it was a they met they married and had a child all within a very short space of time.
    Last edited by jennie; 04-01-08, 13:28.
    Jen

There's a birth in 1905 in Reading for Walter Sidney Hatton on freebmd.
    Heather

Comment

Wow that was fast i have been looking for ages for any of them and not got anything will go and have a look thankyou.
      Jen

Comment

I think in order to make sure you get it right, some money needs to be invested in some certificates to check correct names.

Looking for people after 1901 census and for births, marriages and deaths after about 1912 is much harder than finding folk before these dates.

But looking for death of Ethel Hatton in death registers over an 8 year period isn't too difficult.

Walter's death cert should give his exact date of birth, though if his middle name was Sidney, this is the only birth registered on Ancestry's Freebmd list:
        Walter Sidney Hatton
        1905 Jan-Feb-Mar Reading
        Volume: 2c Page: 352
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I see Heather got there before me - but I guess if you haven#t found anything, you've not been looking in the right place, or perhaps in the right way.

I just wondered why you had a question mark for Sidney?

Comment

I understand this little Nell but where do i start? I know Ian's parents names are Walter and Ethel so i thought the easiest way would be to find the marriage for them but as i can't find a marriage what now? Is there a different way round it?

Sorry that sounded a bit rude. I have question marks for sidney because the name Sidney was passed down to the husband Ian but they can't remember if it was from his father or grandfather.
            Does that make sense or am i rambling sorry.
            Last edited by jennie; 04-01-08, 13:32.
            Jen

Comment

Ian's birth cert - which your friend should have - would give parents' names, father's occupation and addresses which might be a useful pointer.

I wouldn't worry about the "Irish connection" yet, if its there you'll turn it up in your research.

Comment

My friends mum is hunting it out. Have told her if she hasn't got it then she will have to pay £13 to order it from Scotland. Just thought it was strange that i couldn't find a marriage for the parents. Well ok answered my own question i won't find the marriage if i have been given the wrong names derrr.!!
                Jen

Comment

Jen,

when her husband passed away she would have needed his birth cert to register the death, as I had to produce my mums B/cert when she died in 2004.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thankyou Julie. I will wait until she has had time to have a good hunt to see if she can find it as £13 when you have it somewhere in your house is expensive. Hopefully then it will open the next door for me.
                    Jen

Comment

Working...
                    X