Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 9th October 2008 is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing tack, Thomas Wilson is a Master Mariner on the 1861 census:
    The Brig Peggy (Vessels, at sea)
    Thomas Wilson Married 30 Master Seaton Sluice In Northumberland.

So it does look as though he could be Robert's brother, but that doesn't help very much!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oooh, and even better, also in 1861 there is a Robert Wilson, Married, 37, Master, born Northumberland Seaton Sluice, on the "Wm & Hannah", at sea. I reckon he must be your Robert.

And there is also a Samuel Wilson, Married, 41, Master of the "Greta", born Northumberland Seaton Sluice. Another brother?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Mum has found the William and Hannah and we've got quite excited about that! Thomas and Samuel are new to us and obviously need more research to find out if they are related but it does sound like it.

On a previous tack:
        1861 census
        RG09 / 3779 / 96 / 39

Transcribed as Winningham - looks like Cunningham on the image

Household members
        Amelia Winningham 6 Mo
        Henry Winningham 34 - occupation Hawker
        Jane Winningham 4
        Mary Winningham 42
        Mary Winningham 15
        Richard Winningham aged 7 - born Darlington c 1854
        Robert Winningham 13
        The reference you gaver for 1871 Census ( RG 10 4997 p2 )is exciting as Robert Cunningham is on the same page married to another Mary! The other reference for Henry, Mary and Amelia in Newbottle RG 10 4980 26 p6 sounds also like another relative only because the Cunninghams traded in earthenware and this family is living at High Pottery Yard! I am sure they will link in somehow!
        Thanks again
        Ros

Comment

Ooh have just found Thomas on the 1881 census his wife is called Hannah! and he is down as steam tug Captain. Only Samuel I could find was a death in 1897 in Tynemouth which would also fit.
          Can't find any references to them as a family tho'
          Last edited by skingers2; 12-10-08, 20:49. Reason: more info

Comment

I think their (Samuel, Robert and Thomas) baptisms should be at Earsdon by North Shields, Ros, but it looks as though the IGI only goes up to 1813 for that parish.

Correction - no, there are later ones. Hmmm, well I wonder where they were baptised, then?!
            Last edited by KiteRunner; 12-10-08, 22:00.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by skingers2 View Post
              Ooh have just found Thomas on the 1881 census his wife is called Hannah! and he is down as steam tug Captain. Only Samuel I could find was a death in 1897 in Tynemouth which would also fit.
              Can't find any references to them as a family tho'
              Thomas Wilson in 1881 is a Coal Miner with wife Margaret - that was the first census I found him on, because he has niece Wilhelmina with him. Thank goodness they didn't name her Margaret or something like that!
              KiteRunner

Comment

I suspect that Robert's father may have been called William, going by the fact that Robert and Mary Ann's first son (that we know of) was called William and if I've found the right Samuel in 1851, his first son was called William too. And the oldest son at home with Thomas in 1881 is a William too, but of course there could be some older ones who had left home by then. But of course this is just a guess!
                KiteRunner

Comment

1. Baptised 26/08/1820 Child's name Samuel WILSON Father William Mother Alice Mother's Maiden name – Place – Occupation – Other info – Father – Mother – Notes – Birth date –/–/– Parish Earsdon, Nbl Checked Checked

2. Baptised 28/12/1825 Child's name Robert WILSON Father William Mother Alice Mother's Maiden name – Place – Occupation – Other info – Father – Mother – Notes – Birth date –/–/– Parish Earsdon, Nbl Checked Checked

3. Baptised 01/06/1829 Child's name Thomas WILSON Father William Mother Isabel Mother's Maiden name – Place – Occupation – Other info – Father – Mother – Notes – Birth date –/–/– Parish Earsdon, Nbl Checked Checked

Found these in familyhistoryonline.net could be them? Not sure about number 3 Change of wife??
                  Ros

Comment

Ooh, they look hopeful, don't they? The actual PR entries would tell you father's occupation and residence which should help.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Wilhelmina was staying with her uncle in the 1881 census and that clears up another little mystery. Mary Ann's daughter Ann Isabella (sister to Wilhelmina and my gggma)named one of her children George Darling and we didn't know where the Darling came from. Also on the 1881 census is a Sarah Darling aged 74 a widower from Kent - perhaps she is his wife Margaret's mother?
                      Thanks loads!!!!

Comment

Yes !!! Just confirmed Thomas Wilson married Margaret Darling in 1854 in Tynemouth. This is just so exciting. Who else could it be!
                        Ros

Comment

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to my week! You have helped me such a lot and it would be good if I could help someone too! I will continue to log in when I can and read through the bits and pieces and if I can help anyone on the way I'll try.
                          A Great Big Thank You
                          Ros

Comment

Working...
                          X