Weddington Derbyshire????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weddington Derbyshire????

I`m getting confused here, have found a Wessington, but not a Weddington.

Following the female line of my Calladines, on the 1841 census, i have George (1808) and Sarah (1811) Edwards and family, living in South Wingfield, with them are William and Dorathy Pendleton, both in their 60s.

Thinking on the lines that these were Sarahs parents, i found a marriage for George Edwards and Sarah Pendleton in Crich 1830, first child born South Wingfield 1831.

!851 census says the Sarah was born Weddington Derbyshire??? i think she dies about 1953 after having twins, because George born in Matlock is a widower on the 1861 census

Baptism found on Ancestry, Sarah born 1811 says her parents are John and Hannah Pendleton in Ashover, have not found one on IGI.

Do you think i could have the wrong marriage for these two?

And who are William and Dorathy Pendleton? Pallots has them married in Shirland 1801

Any help appreciated Thanks.

Sylvia
    Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 05-10-08, 11:27.
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Perhaps William and Dorothy are uncle and aunt rather than parents for Sarah which would still make the marriage you have right.
    Margaret

Comment

Sylvia Wessington is the most likely as it is the next village to South Wingfield, I've never heard of Weddington
      Last edited by Kath nr the Crooked Spire; 05-10-08, 11:57. Reason: wrong village
      Kathleen

Comment

Having googled, there is a Weddington in Nuneaton...

But I agree with Kath...more likely to be Wessington.
        Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

Margaret.. Thats a posibility, will have to find if William and John Pendleton are brothers.

Kathleen.. I had a feeling it should be Wessington

Mandy.. i also googled and found one in Kent too.

Thank you all

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

I'd go with Wessington too, its the right area. Its spitting distance from Shirland too.

As for the Pendletons, I'd investigate both & see if you can get at their parents, before making your mind up.

If you can get to see the actual records for both marriages there might be a clue there.

Any sign of John & Hannah Pendleton on the 1841?
            Is there an occupation given for William Pendleton?

The baptism on Ancestry for Sarah with parents John & Hannah - do you have a source reference for this?
            Vicky

Comment

Thank you Vicky,

Sarah Pendleton says born 13 April 1811 baptised 26 May 1811
              parents John Pendleton and Hannah
              Source Citation: Place: Ashover, Derbyshire, England; Date Range: 1661 - 1898; Film Number: 1041018.

Marriage also on Ancestry John Pendleton and Hannah Gill 23 April 1809

There is a John and Hannah Pendleton in the 1841 census in Ashover, ages 60 and 50 with
              John aged 20
              James 13
              George 10
              Eliser 2 possibly a grandchild ?

John and William Pendleton are both ag labs on each of the 1841 census

There is a baptism on Ancestry for a John Pendleton 22 Nov 1772 with only a father named John Pendleton, which means he would have been 70 by 1842, but not for William.

Just found baptisms on Family Search for the John Pendleton 1772 (Ashover), he does have a brother William 1780, along with other siblings, both are extracted.

Sorry another question, a couple of the siblings have <Pendleton> what is meant by <> please?

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Comment

Working...
              X