No announcement yet.

Unreadable name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kew will have the original service records. Not sure how easy they are to look at, they probably want to fob you off on the microfilm. But I suppose if you explain your prob they will be helpful.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

His record shows he was born in Chatham.

Have you tried Medway CityArk?
      [eb-GB]Adlib Internet Server is a complete application to make the collections of archives, museums and libraries accessible over the internet. Adlib Internet Server is an add-on to the professional collection management applications Adlib Archive, Adlib Museum and Adlib Library.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

PS - Medway CityArk doesn't seem to want to be connected at the moment but, when you can reach it, there might be something on the baptism record. He does say he's C of E.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          His record shows he was born in Chatham.

Have you tried Medway CityArk?
          [eb-GB]Adlib Internet Server is a complete application to make the collections of archives, museums and libraries accessible over the internet. Adlib Internet Server is an add-on to the professional collection management applications Adlib Archive, Adlib Museum and Adlib Library.

Christine
          Thanks Christine I will get on to City Ark but have reached the stage today when my eyes are starting to protest. Will have to sign off now.
          Plan of attack:
          1. check city ark
          2. get on to TNA Kew and ask nicely if they can help
          3. have another go on photobucket to see if I can make the image any clearer

Thanks everyone for your interest - will let you know if I get anywhere
          JANE

Comment

Do you have his birth cert?

The only likely one I could see was Frederick James PITT, regd 1877, Dec Qtr, in Medway (which is right for Chatham, but a bit late for 1875... This wouldn't be the only person to offer an unexpected interpretation of their birthdate!).

I couldn't see him in 1881 - but wondered if he'd taken a stepfather's surname during his minority?

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-10-08, 15:58.

Comment

Working...
            X