Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson/Shaw marriage Banffshire C1823

Hi
    I'm trying to find the marriage of William Anderson and Elizabeth Shaw around 1823 in Keith, Banffshire. I have located the babtisms of two children George (21 Mar 1824) and Alexander (14 Mar 1831) - both in Keith Banffshire.
    Can't find the marriage on the IG Index or Scotland's People. Any help appreciated.

Best Regards
    Tom Whalen

Well, it could be an "irregular" marriage and just not be listed anywhere. I can't see it either. Have you looked at the images of the baptism entries on Scotland's People to see whether any more information is given?
    And if you are trying to trace the couple back, then if either or both of them died after the introduction of civil registration in Scotland (1855) then their parents' names should be given on the death certificate.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is an Alexander Anderson on the 1841 Scotland census with a William Anderson age 55, a farmer, who could be his father, but no Elizabeth (according to ancestry).
      And on the 1851 there is a Joseph Anderson age 33 (also born Keith) who has a brother Alexander age 19. They are living at Elgin, Moray. Could that be the same family?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi KiteRunner
        Thank you for the reply and and your observations. This one is proving a bit of a stickler.

Regards
        Tom

Comment

Tom, are you looking for their marriage because you're hoping it will help you trace their lines back, or just because you would like to know where and when they married?
          KiteRunner

Comment

Hi KiteRunner
            This enquiry was on behalf of a friend in Canada who did a big favour for me. She is trying to push back into the next generation by locating the marriage.

Best Regards
            Tom

Comment

Okay, then, you/she may be able to trace them back without finding the marriage, since you already have the wife's maiden name. If you did find their marriage then it might not help much anyway. I once thought I was stuck on one of my Scottish lines because I couldn't find a marriage, and kicked myself when I finally realised I could try to trace them back without it!

Look at the OPR baptism entries for their children, as there may be extra info in there which hasn't been transcribed, for instance there may be witnesses to the baptisms, who are often relatives.

Look for possible baptisms for William and Elizabeth, especially ones where the parents' names match some of William and Elizabeth's children, then research the families for those possible baptisms to see if you find evidence to prove or disprove that it is the right family. For instance, if you find a will on Scotland's People that could be for a possible father for Elizabeth, it may turn out to mention his daughter Elizabeth and say who her husband is.

This all does end up costing on Scotland's People, though, as you no doubt already know.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
              X