Missing in 1901?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1901?

Ellen Cree born 1873-4 in Bolton, Lancs, (illegitimate daughter of Ellen Cree) - married William Smith 31 Oct 1897 at St Phillips, Manchester. They had a daughter, Beatrice c1900.
    I cannot find them in 1901.
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks in advance.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

RG13; Piece: 3759; Folio: 77; Page: 39

You meant to ask for Ellen and William Simth and their daughter, Beatrice, aged 89 months, didn't you?? pmsl!!!!!

I love Ancestry

Comment

Merry
      Wow, you are a star! LOL!! at Beatrice's age and the name mistranscription!
      How did you find them? I have spent all evening looking, using different search terms!!
      Thank you so much, this has confirmed my suspicion that William was previously married so now I need to look for his previous marriage. I suppose that will be like looking for a needle in a haystack!!
      Then my next mystery is Ellen's birth, which I have been searching for since 2005 (as she was illegitimate I don't know what name she was registered in).
      Thanks again and sorry for the delay in replying, I'm watching WDYTYA.

PS: Can you read the street name?
      Last edited by Granny Lynne; 24-09-08, 21:28.
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I think the street name is Percival St (from the district description page)

I found Ellen by looking on The National Archives index, where they spelled Smith correctly! Once I knew what her age was recorded as it was easier to find her on Ancestry, once I'd got my head round the fact it was Smith they couldn't spell rather than Ellen or Bolton!

Comment

Thanks for the street name and explanation Merry. Is the NA index free to search?
          Lynne

Comment

Yes, here:

1901 Census of England and Wales Online

Comment

Merry
              Thanks again, you have been very helpful. I will save that link to my faviourites for future use.
              You wouldn't think I've been doing this for 5 years, there is so much I don't know.
              As they say 'you learn something new every day'.
              Lynne

Comment

Working...
              X