Newspapre Archives can reveal some interesting snippets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspapre Archives can reveal some interesting snippets

I've recently been browsing through the archives of the local rag of my birthplace of Bolton, Lancs., namely the Bolton (Evening) News, when I came across this article featuring the village where I grew up, Turton.
    I knew of the existence of Turton Fair and its beginnings but didn't realise how different one of the activities was at the Turton Carnivals which were held on the football field and street adjacent to the parish church of St Anne.

Here are the details of the Pipe and Tobacco race held over 75 yards....

"Each competitor will receive an Equal Quantity of Tobacco, which must be all cut up and Lighted before starting, and the Race must be won with the Tobacco still alight. The competitor must smoke during the entire run. If the Tobacco goes out, the competitor must return to starting point and re-light. Pipe and Tobacco must be handed to a Judge on completing the race. Entrance fee 6d ."

The full article can be found here and there's also reference to Turton Football Club one of the oldest in England.
    This Is Lancashire - Football and fun at Turton Carnival

My favourite line is 'The competitor must smoke during the entire run'...

Anyone else know of odd races or events at old village fairs?

Yes Anne, this fair was held in Brinkley in Cambridgshire in the month of June to celebrate Queen Victoria's Coronation, at 4pm on Midsummer Green.
    "Greasy pole, biscuit bolting, sack race, wheelbarrow race by ten men blindfolded; Blind Buff and Bellman (12 young men over 18 years of age). Grinning match through a horse collar - men of all ages. Races, young lad's race of 100 yards, under 15. Dipping for eels, whistling match by 6 old men "God save the Queen", donkey race.

Prizes include Coronation neckcloth, high shoes, copper tea kettle, hats, cord trowser. (Grinning match - velveteen trowsers, and runners up with a gallon of Sam Moore's regular right-sort, headstrong, out and out, strong bodied, ram-jam, come-it-strong, lift-me-up, knock-me-down, how d'ye like it, genuine Midsummer Green Stingo, and a new hat."

Sounds like good but exhausting fun, I hope they weren't all expected to turn up for work the next day! Val

Comment

Working...
    X