how to find the wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to find the wife?

i have the death of john walker 1918 age 25 now he had a wife and they had there own address(not living with john parents) how would i go about finding her and any children if they had any?
    Louise

You could start by getting his death cert in the hope that she's named as the informant.

You could also check the National Probate Calendar to see if he left a will.

Once you have his wife's name, if it isn't too common you may be able to find their marriage on FreeBMD, which will give you her maiden name. When you have that, you can search for children with the surname Walker and that mother's maiden name.

Also check Ancestry to see if there's a WW1 service record for him, as they often name wives and children.

Comment

The "W" service records aren't complete on ancestry yet (as far as I know) but there could be a pension record on there for him - I have found one or two pension records on there for men who died in the war as the pension was paid to their widows.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks mary and kate there are some john walker on there but i cant see the image
        Louise

Comment

Maybe you could try the telephone directories on Ancestry ? ... I did find gt gran's widowed sis in law in 1928

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

In several successive phone books I was able to track a family who had been cattle farmers in Argentina and then settled in a posh house in Surrey. This was the 1920's so they must have had money!
            Last edited by Uncle John; 17-09-08, 08:58.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i dont have membership to ancestry
              Louise

Comment

You could take out a 14-day free trial. It's free if you cancel before the 14 days are up.

Comment

Working...
                X