Anyone in the mood for a search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone in the mood for a search?

I am trying to find the following families on the early census.
    I am looking for Thomas & Ann in 1851 and John & Keturah in 1841.

In 1841 I have:
    Thomas Gilbert age 25 Saddler (my info has him born c1809)
    Ann Gilbert age 30 (my info has her born 1805)
    William age 5
    Thomas age 5
    Joseph age 3
    All born in County - Barwell, Leics

In 1851 I have Thomas Jr living with his maternal grandparents, though he is listed as a servant.
    John Fullylove age 69 Wheelright[sp] born Leics, High__?__ Hill (my info has him born c1781)
    Keturah Fullylove age 70 born Derbyshire, Ambeston(?) (my info has her born c1780)
    Thomas Gilbert age 15 born Leics, Hinckley

William is a lodger/apprentice in 1851 (107/2082/22/280). Joseph could be with his parents - they don't die until 1879 and 1886, so they have to be somewhere.
    Keturah is also listed on the IGI as Catherine.

(My apologies that most of the info was collected before I knew the importance of keeping census references)

For anyone looking the 1851 census as a reference for John and Keturah :
    HO107; Piece: 2088; Folio: 128; Page: 5;
    Names transcribed as:
    John Fulhglone age 69
    Thomas Gilbert age 15
    Keturah Tullgtone age 70
    Elaine

Comment

hi, what was ann's maiden name? in the 1851 keturah and john's surnames are spelled completely wrong so perhaps this is why they are so hard to find in 1841!

Comment

oops posted at same time!!

Comment

On the IGI there is a baptism for an Edward Fullylove, christened 9 Dec 1824 Saint Mary, Hinckley.
          Parents- John Fullylove and Kittura

The closest I can see on the 1841 is

FULLELOVE, James b c 1786
          FULLELOVE, Mary born c 1781
          FULLELOVE, Edward born c1824
          SWINFIELD, Thomas born c 1825
          living Wigston Street, St. Margaret Leicester
          Ref HO107 604 Book/folio 6/11 Page 15

Unfortunately no occupation given for James
          Elaine

Comment

STruggling to find anything for the Gilberts in 1851.
            Elaine

Comment

snap, have found a couple but either ann is 'mary' or the ages are all wrong! Found one who is blacksmith compared to wheelwright but that is all! as for john and keturah- zilch

Comment

I wonder if this could be Joseph Gilbert in 1851
                HO107; Piece: 2082; Folio: 440; Page: 14;

Household listed as
                Joseph Gillert age 13 grandson
                Lydia Gillert age 60 wife
                Shorard Gillert age 78 head

.. but image looks like Gilbert

living Church Street, Barwell.
                Elaine

Comment

that looks like gilbert to me too. still cannot find thomas or ann though.

Comment

You say that Thomas and Ann do not die until 1879 and 1886 - have you found them in the 1861 / 1871 census - if so what is their place of birth?
                    Elaine

Comment

i have found an ann gilbert in 1861 but it says widower! She has a son thomas age 24- his age fits from thomas is 1841- age 5

Comment

william and joseph also as lodgers- occupation i can't read- again no thomas and ann

Comment

Thanks for looking ladies - just had to pop out and pick my son up from school.

Sorry, I don't have the 1861/71 for Thomas and Ann.

Tessie, the one for Ann as a widow in 1861 - I've seen that one, but it is not her - Thomas is already married by 1861 (RG9/2286/?/pg6 - no folio listed on the page)

I've seen the one for William and Joseph, and they are in keeping with the same occupations as Thomas at the Gas Works.

Elaine, you may be onto something with Joseph in 1851 though - if I remember correctly, a contact has a downline where the name Sharrard is featured, so that could have come from Thomas's side of the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post

Elaine, you may be onto something with Joseph in 1851 though - if I remember correctly, a contact has a downline where the name Sharrard is featured, so that could have come from Thomas's side of the family.
                            There is a entry on the IGI of Thomas Gilbert, christened 18 Oct 1812, Barwell - parents Sherrard Gilbert and Lydia - which could be your Thomas senior.
                            This would fit in with Joseph being listed as grandson on the 1851 census.
                            Elaine

Comment

You say that Joseph and Ann died in 1879 and 1886 - do you have their death certificates because I am having real trouble finding them anywhere on any of the censuses after 1841.
                              If you do have their certificates, where did they die - any addresses we could use to work backwards - Joseph's occupation etc.
                              Elaine

Comment

Ann Gilbert in 1881 - Hinckley.
                                Class: RG11; Piece: 3131; Folio: 50; Page: 41
                                born Sketchley abt 1805
                                Tracy

Comment

I saw that one Tracy but wondered if she was the Ann Gilbert married to Samuel in 1871 census RG10; Piece: 3235; Folio: 48; Page: 25
                                  1871 occupation listed as Stocking maker
                                  1881 occupation listed as Seamer of stockings
                                  Elaine

Comment

She's the Ann who died in 1886, so perhaps Margaret's Ann died before 1851?
                                    Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                                      ... so perhaps Margaret's Ann died before 1851?
                                      That is what I am thinking Tracy!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Based on what you found, I am agreeing with you that Ann and Thomas died before 1851. I had been going by research done by another family member and once you brought it up, I could see the inconsistencies.

A quick search on FreeBMD found deaths for an Ann and Thomas in Hinckley in Mar 44 and 45. (Also found a death in Sep 52 for a Sharrad and Lydia age 89 in Jun 80, both in Hinckley) I went to check to see if Thomas Jrs marriage certificate showed his father as deceased - I was surprised to find I didn't have it....I have every other certificate for my marriages except this one - figures, because it's the one I need to check.

Comment

Working...
                                        X