No announcement yet.

Got my Ariel documents.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libby, How fascinating this must all be for you.
    Sofala caught my eye as my 2 x great grandparents were in that area in 1853 before moving across to the richer diggings at Tambaroora a few miles away as the crow flies. The gold big rush was well underway and thousands were flocking to the area after their personal El Dorado. Many came to grief as the results of accidents, weather conditions, disease including the nasties typhoid and cholera, poor food supplies etc. If Myles arrived in August winter there would have been quite severe weatherwith occasional snow falls. At that time there would have been only the most basic "shanty" town "services".
    One account I read describing the early days of the gold rushes there made the point that many of the hopeful prospectors died unknown and the families they left behind in Australian towns or overseas would never have known their fate.

Comment

If you search the NSW deaths for the surname "unknown", there are quite a few. The only unnamed adult males in 1853 are Chinese or aboriginal, but there are a few adult males with no other details specified in 1854.

Comment

Mary...I've seen some of those. I think if he just died in an accident, his wife would have found out, with the notice in the newspaper and a reward, along with the ring he was wearing.

Comment

WHat fascinating (if poignant) records to have! Congratuilations on following up and achieving such a success.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just come across this document, although you probably already have all the information it contains:

Comment

Working...
            X