Left school and lost without trace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left school and lost without trace

The two youngest daughters of an Argentinian sheep farmer came to boarding school in England and then disappeared. Help!

Marquita E Reid (b. abt 1865) and Ellen Reid (b. Jan 1867) were born on their father's estancia near Buenos Aires. I have Ellen's birth from a reliable online family tree but Marquita's birth isn't there.

1881 England census: RG11 / 1191 / 58 / 3
    they are at Arnwood House boarding school, Hordle, Hampshire.

1891 England census: RG12 / 1764 / 27 / 8
    Ellen is a visitor to the New family at Craddock House, Uffculme, Devon.
    Ancestry transcribed her birthplace as USA instead of South America.

And that seems to be that. Their mother died in Argentina and their father Patrick Vans Agnew Reid is at Spring Grove House, Milverton, Somerset in 1881 and 1891. He was at Bournemouth in 1901 and died at Bathampton, Somerset in 1908.

Their brother James McClymont Reid tried his hand at ranching in the 1880s but seems to have died in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire in 1916.

Any offers?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Couldn't find Marquita in the 1901 census.

Surprised to see how many Marquita's there were.

What about this one in 1901 St Pancras - M Reid boarder b America

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 137; Folio: 23; Page: 38.
    Last edited by JBee; 06-09-08, 23:25.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Maybe they went back to Argentina?

Marquita may well have fallen victim to being mistrranscribed. Have you looked for her and Ellen as Reed or Read?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There are two children of Patrick's listed among the baptisms here:

Iglesia San Andrés, Buenos Aires, bautismos 1864-1878

The second is the Ellen you mentioned.

The first, baptised in 1864, is listed as Mary Elizabeth - I wonder if she's your Marquita?
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-09-08, 00:43.

Comment

James and Catherine are listed here:

Iglesia San Andrés, Buenos Aires, bautismos 1851-1863

Enter this search in Google to search the whole site quickly:

"reid, patrick" site:www.argbrit.org

(replace the words in inverted commas with the name you want to search for)
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-09-08, 00:22.

Comment

In case you hadn't found her, their sister Catherine married a Thomas Conroy Fair in Argentina.

Here she is in 1901, widowed with 3 children and living in Somerset:

Class: RG13; Piece: 2355; Folio: 77; Page: 24.

Deaths Sep 1897
            Fair Thomas Conroy 33 Watford 3a 400
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-09-08, 01:09.

Comment

HI

Wht about this one which in marriage index shows her as Mary Elizabeth Reid to a Francis Escot Hancock in 1886 Wellington, Somerset

1891 census Ford House Wiveliscombe, Somerset

Francis E Hancock 31 Brewer
              Mariguite E Hancock 26 born South America, Buenos Aires BS
              Ralph E Hancock 3 born Llandaff South Wales
              Plus 4 Servants

1901 census still at same place but this time you can find her as Guita there is also a Reid nephew 14 born same area as Guita.
              WendyP

Comment

Ah, well done. I found that marriage but didn't get as far as checking it out on the censuses. The nephew is Guita's brother James's son Allan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  There are two children of Patrick's listed among the baptisms here:

Iglesia San Andrés, Buenos Aires, bautismos 1864-1878

The second is the Ellen you mentioned.

The first, baptised in 1864, is listed as Mary Elizabeth - I wonder if she's your Marquita?
                  Got it in one. The d.o.b. I had recorded for Mary Elizabeth was 1854, which I must have mistranscribed. You'll have spotted a load of McClymont baps. I got a lot of my info from the McClymont website.

James and Catherine are listed here:

Iglesia San Andrés, Buenos Aires, bautismos 1851-1863

Enter this search in Google to search the whole site quickly:

"reid, patrick" site:British Settlers in Argentina in past years: their names collected from church records, census returns and other documents: author Jeremy Howat

(replace the words in inverted commas with the name you want to search for)
                  Magic, Mary.

In case you hadn't found her, their sister Catherine married a Thomas Conroy Fair in Argentina.

Here she is in 1901, widowed with 3 children and living in Somerset:

Class: RG13; Piece: 2355; Folio: 77; Page: 24.

Deaths Sep 1897
                  Fair Thomas Conroy 33 Watford 3a 400
                  Thanks for that. I'll see if I can find her anywhere else.

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                  HI

Wht about this one which in marriage index shows her as Mary Elizabeth Reid to a Francis Escot Hancock in 1886 Wellington, Somerset

1891 census Ford House Wiveliscombe, Somerset

Francis E Hancock 31 Brewer
                  Mariguite E Hancock 26 born South America, Buenos Aires BS
                  Ralph E Hancock 3 born Llandaff South Wales
                  Plus 4 Servants

1901 census still at same place but this time you can find her as Guita there is also a Reid nephew 14 born same area as Guita.
                  Thanks for that sighting as well.

That's my afternoon sorted then.

Comment

I've filled 3 pages of scribbles and found another ten people! I had looked at www.argbrit.org before, and found several baps. and marriages.

Comment

My apologies for bumping this up. Over the last 3 days, filling in the gaps I've added another couple of married-in families and seem to have stumbled into the upper echelons of Somerset society. The commercial wills etc. site I mentioned elsewhere gave me the name of Rev. William Sweet-Escott, who took his calling to heart and caused his poor wife to bear him 14 children! Sweet-Escott is a real minefield for mistranscription.

Comment

Maraquita Reid

Quita Hancock, nee Reid, was my wife's great aunt, wife of Frank. Is she central to your research, or just on the periphery? They had one child (Ralph) who died WW1.

Comment

Many thanks Guy. My connection to the Reid family is a few generations back. I followed the trail forwards and sideways because I got interested in the Argentina connection. I found Ralph's birth and census entries to 1901 (the 1911 census hadn't been released then). I have the 4 children of Patrick Reid and Mary McClymont as:

Mary Elizabeth (Quita) b. 1864
                          James McClymont b. 1860 d. 1916 Winchcombe Glos. m. Caroline Church, 4 children
                          Catherine b. 1862 m. Thomas Fair, 3 children
                          Ellen b. 1867

All births Buenos Aires.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            Their mother died in Argentina and their father Patrick Vans Agnew Reid is at Spring Grove House, Milverton, Somerset in 1881 and 1891. He was at Bournemouth in 1901 and died at Bathampton, Somerset in 1908.
                            John, do you have any idea why Patrick was christened 'Vans Agnew'? After one of my family for sure - but after whom and why?

Jamie.

Comment

There are two of them, (1) as noted above b. 1834 Kirkinner, Wigtownshire, m. 1858 Buenos Aires, d. 1908 Bathampton, Somerset. (2) His grandson b. 1892 Buenos Aires, m. about 1920, d. 1984 Westminster. There are no naming clues among their ancestors, who include several Scottish ministers.

Comment

Working...
                              X