One Name Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Name Study

I want to try and do a one name study to see if I can link my Owen family to another Owen family who are friends of mine.
    Any ideas on how I go about it would be greatly appreciated.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

With a name like OWEN, you're going to find yourself bogged down in irrelevant material if you don't approach it quite systematically.

There's almost certainly going to be advice available from the GoONS - and possibly something on the Wiki?

I think, in your situation, I'd probably opt for starting my ONS in a particular area - say a county, or all the parishes within a certain distance of the one(s) which I know are relevant, or a Registration District. You can then expand you remit if necessary, but shouldn't be snowed under before you can make any headway.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I would have thought the name Owen was too common for a one-name study, to be honest. If you want to try to find a link between the two families then you might be best just to concentrate on those two families. Sorry to sound negative!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Christine
        Thanks for the advice. My Owens going back to 1816 were from Salford and Manchester and my friends were originally from Warrington and later, Salford so I could concentrate on Lancashire.

Kate
        Thanks. Any advice is welcome, whether positive or negative.
        I have already done some of my friend's tree for him but only got back to the mid 1800's so I will try and find as many Owens in Lancashire as possible to see if I can link them.
        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Lancs BMD Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths might be useful?

And Lancs OPCs as well. Probably worth a hunt in the Lancs section of the Wiki to see if there are any other ideas.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks again Christine, I will try that link and look at the wiki later (going shopping now).
            Lynne

Comment

Owens could be a very tricky one name study. I see yours are coming from Salford/Manchester but with Liverpool and N Wales on a line from Manchester do not be surprised if your Owen leads back to Liverpool/Wales, and once you have Owen back to Wales, you are in great difficulty.

I have a line from a cousin on Owen in Bath where a departmental store was started back in the mid 1850's and known as Evans and Owen, which soon spread to Liverpool as Owen Owens, with a store that opened up in London also Owen Owens. A few years back I went to Bath Library to track the Business and found a book written by a David Owen who had taken the family back to the early 1700's in North Wales. The Family history had been done already for me.

You normally do a one name study on a more unusual name, or just take a small village area. I know one person who is doing a one name study on the Nobles of Yorkshire. But then what happens when the research takes you out of that small area, and how does this person know that her Yorkshire Nobles did not migrate to Northants in the 1500/1600s to join up with my Nobles?

So if you just concentrate on Salford, which is not far from Liverpool and Warrington and with that whole area one huge connurbation, how would you know if your Owens ever went back to the Liverpool Owens and thus back to the Bath Owens, and thus to the North Wales Owens or even no connection?

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 06-09-08, 15:37.

Comment

Owens as stated before is a very common name and you are looking in a densely-populated area too.

IF you had a tiny village to look in, I'd think this was possible, but you are setting yourself a very difficult task.

I wouldn't have thought there was necessarily a link.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Janet and Nell

On the advice of everyone who has contributed to this thread, I think I will stick to trying to track both families back further.
                  Lynne

Comment

Working...
                  X