not advice,just an observation about marriage partners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not advice,just an observation about marriage partners

I have an aunt/niece marrying a widower/widower's son in my family tree, but husband's London lot take the biscuit for not looking far for their spouses.

He has 2 gt gt gt uncles who marry sisters. These sisters have 2 other sisters who marry another set of brothers and then the widower from one of these couples marries the widow from the other set of sisters.

He has a gt gt grandfather who marries the aunt of his son's wife.

Now I've found that his gt gt grandfather had a sister who married the uncle of her youngest brother's bride. When this uncle died her 2nd husband turns out to be the father of her youngest sister's husband.

In the country, in a tiny village, I could understand it - but in London, there must have been a wider genetic pool to choose from, surely!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Doesn't that make her MiL to her youngest sister? There's a risk of falling foul of religiously-defined consanguinity rules, I should have thought?

But, I agree, unless there's some constraint, forcing the families in on themselves (as can happen with religious/ethnic minorities) there doesn't seem to be much excuse.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I suppose it depends....

how many of us marry for love or lust........;)

And how many think very carfully about whether our other halves can support us or pay the bills when you have children to feed. People you know can be trusted?

Comment

I suppose the spouses would either be already known, or easily introduced and any money (ha! there's a laugh) would be kept within the family!

Comment

My Grants in Scotland married within their parish (Cabrach), and often into the same family for hundreds of years.

OH's lot from Bristol went off to Yorkshire and Lancashire to marry or find brides, but always returned to Bristol for first baby's birth.

No nice easy pattern in that lot!!!

Comment

I seem to be my own 6th cousin and also to my siblings, down to this kind of caper with my lot. Lots of cousins marrying each other and sets of siblings marrying other sets of siblings too!

Comment

I have just got to grips with ahnentafel numbers and where I should have 1024 direct ancestors, I have only 500 or so, not counting the onmes I cannot find.

Further back, I have LESS, not more, because they keep marrying cousins and second cousins. I have this horrid feeling that they will all eventually converge on just one couple!

A lot of it is down to laziness I think - marry the girl next door, can't be bothered to look any further, and anyway, you already know all about her and her family for centuries, so she isn't very likely to run off with the milkman, or drink all your money.

Second wives are often drawn from a pool of left over spinster relatives, or a dead brother/cousin's widow.

Did love ever come into it? Who knows. I don't think they expected love.

OC

Comment

In my niece's paternal ancestry, in a generation with four couples, three of the eight people are siblings!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I missed out the Warwickshire set

connected to my gt gt grandfather Emmets Matthews - his aunts married two brothers. The child of one married the child of the other couple, so cousins on both sides.

I have some cousin marriages in Norfolk, but what's normal for them...

Comment

Working...
                  X