Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medal card help please

Could somebody please check ancestry for a medal card for
    SAMUEL HUMPHREYS b 1888 he served with Nottingham Sherwood Foresters regiment. He served in Egypt and Palestine possibly as an Ostler.

I haven't been able to find any Humphreys serving under the Sherwood Foresters, although there are Samuels serving with other regiments
    Lynn

Comment

thank you. Are there many others to chose from??? LOL
      It is possible that I have the wrong regiment. He was definately from Nottingham and born 1888

Comment

There were 10 Samuel Humphreys & others with an additional inital.I don't have time to look further now, as we've got to get ready for school. But will look later if no one else has found him.
        Lynn

Comment

ok thank you lynn

Comment

I've had a quick spin through the ones that Lynn found. Several in the Royal Engineers and a sprinkling of other regiments.

There's a memorial to the Sherwood Foresters at Crich Stand near Whatstandwell in Derbyshire (overlooking the National Tramway Museum).
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Because the transcription isn't very good on ancestry, it is often a good idea to search the medal index cards on TNA first (and remember, some of them only give initials instead of first name(s)) and then try to find the same record on ancestry.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Just had a look at TNA and he was an ostler as far as I know so was trying to find one where he would be working with horses and I have come up with 3.shropshire light infantry, Lancers, and royal field artillery.

Comment

Working...
                X