Adopted half sister search "Yes or No"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopted half sister search "Yes or No"

I have found I have a half sister from my father’s first marriage; it is possible she may still be alive; she would be in her eighties. I am in my fifties, and only found out about her a couple of years ago.
    My query is should I search for her? She may not know she was adopted.
    I have made some enquiries with two agencies, but it is very expensive, and the fees would be more or less the same whether she is alive or dead.
    I feel I need to know, but I wouldn’t want to upset anyone, any suggestions please.
    Malcolm

Why would she have been adopted if she stayed with her mother?

That is what children normally do.

Why do you think she was adopted?
    Jess

Comment

Because it says on the bottom of her birth certificate "Adopted" My father and his then wife divorced soon after the birth.

Comment

If her mother remarried after the divorce it is possible that your sister was adopted by her step father.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Malcolm

My half brother (my mother's son) was adopted by my father, and had to be adopted by our mother as well. Apparently that is how it was - not sure about now.

As for whether to try and find your half sister, only you can make that decision.

My father had two children who went with their mother to Canada.
          I have often wondered about them, and earlier this year I found out which part of Canada they had gone to, googled and found one address - my half brother!
          I rang - sadly he died two years ago, but I speak often with his wife.
          I wrote to my half sister, and received no reply.

So there may be rejection, be prepared for that - but there could be great joy, friendship and sharing of memories.

Good luck with making your decision.

Lyndi

Comment

Malcolm it is entirely up to you but of course you have to be sensitive about it. If you would like to know more see what you can find out without contacting your half sister. Once you have some details you can then decide whether to contact her or not.

Good luck. If it was me though I would at least like some more info even if I didn't/couldn't meet her in person.
            Kit

Comment

Yes but discreetly - as has been said - find out everything you can beforehand and that will make making a decision much easier.

Sometimes something happens that decides the situation for you - as in my case -

if its meant it'll happen but also finding out all the info makes it very interesting too.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Adopted Half Sister

Thank you all for your comments, you have been most helpful.
                Malcolm

Comment

Adopted half sister search "Yes or No"

I have taken on-board all your comments, but I do not know where, or how to start searching.
                  I have the date she was born, the date my father and his wife divorced, also the date she remarried and to whom she married. I also know she had a son, and know his date of birth.
                  Short of writing to every person in the area, with the same surname from the mother’s second marriage, I don’t know how I can search for an adopted sister.
                  Does anyone have any suggestions please?
                  Malcolm

Comment

Working...
                  X