can you help find this family please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you help find this family please

John james Danslow born 1857 in Liverpool. In 1871 he is in the Liverpool reformatory school and in 1880 he marries Anne/Annie Jackson. This is where i lose him. He has one child Sarah Ellen in 1880/1881 who dies in 1883 and Minnie born 1883. Annie then marries Joseph Beattie in 1889 who is dead by 1891, yet i am unable to find a death for john James.

I cannot find them in 1881 and i cant find Minnie in 1891 either. Annie and Edith are together in 1891 and in 1901 Annie may have died as the children are together with their maternal grandfather.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

sorry - who's Edith?

and where were the children born?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Perhaps the marriage split up and they both just claimed to be widow(er)s.

He might have emigrated without making any effort to take his family with him (as my grandfather did).

There's the risk that he's an unidentified death.

He doesn't show up on the likely UKBMD local RO lists, but they're not fully transcribed yet, either, and it could be that his death got onto the local index, but didn't make the transition to the GRO index.

With an unusual surname, he could have a mangled transcription somewhere.

Bizarrely, Google has no hits at all - even this thread escapes!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is there anything useful here:
        The Danslow Family History

I see it leads to a paying site - S&N / The Genealogist - which has had varied reviews/comments here or RootsUK
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-12-07, 21:21.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks all, sorry had to go in the bath.

all were born in Liverpool Lancashire, Edith is Annes child from her second marriage

thanks for the Danslow site, will take a look
          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
            thanks for the Danslow site, will take a look
            Please be a bit wary of it. It seems to have only very superficial info and is inclined to lead to sites which want registration to give you anything useful.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the GoONS list, either. I am surprised, because it seems unusual enough to be an interesting (and, hopefully, not over-extensive) project.

Christine

Comment

its a really unusual name, and i have only managed to get back to James Danslow born c1795 in London. The name appears to have originated from Devon, but i havent been able to confirm that, the furthest i have got is James' marriage in 1817 in Marlebone.

that site just seemed to bring up census details which i already know about, so dont think it was worth anything unfortunatley
              Robyne

Comment

There is a death for Annie Beattie, Jun Qtr 1898 at Liverpool. 8b / 95

Comment

There are a couple of Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services records on Documents Online for that surname, and one medal card.

And this ref comes up on A2A (Centre for Kentish Studies)
                  'Mr. Dans[?low] {Danslow?}'s report of Kent and Sussex' U1107/O14/7
                  A report on the customs offices in the two counties including notes on Sandwich, Deal, Dover, Folkestone, Hithe, Romney, Rye, Hastings, Pevensey, Seaford, Newhaven and Brighthelmstone and ShorehamDate: 1676.
                  Nothing for the particular first names you mention.

Comment

I just tried putting in the surname (no first names) in the initial search box on Ancestry and it comes up with:

4 1841 England Census
                    4 1851 England Census
                    5 1861 England Census
                    11 1871 England Census

5 1901 England Census
                    and
                    37 England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
                    26 England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1983
                    22 England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983

8 England & Wales, Birth Index: 1984-2005
                    8 England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1984-2005

and
                    162 British Phone Books, 1880-1984 Releases 1-4

In total that isn't a lot! And also begs the question as to where they were in 1881 and 1897!

Comment

Looking on the LDS site at 1881 (because I can't seem to get Ancestry to search the censuses), I see that the Devon version of the name tends to be DENSLOW - and that there are a number of variants.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X