Affadavits on Parish Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affadavits on Parish Records

Whilst browsing I have found some groups of burials with affadavits recorded. Did they have to prove John Bloggs was John Bloggs before they interred him?
    Or was it so a Will could be read?
    Bridget

I think it was probably a case of swearing that the deceased had been buried "in wool" - a requirement to boost the wool trade.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Ahh! Thanks Jay! Makes sense now
      Bridget

Comment

Googling has produced this:

Buried in Wool
        From early times England was noted for her woolen products and home grown wool was a major part of the national wealth.

During the 14th and 15th centuries the protection of this national product was of great importance, and an act was passed in the reign of King Charles II for the express purpose of increasing the consumption of English wool.

Subsequent to the BURIAL IN WOOL ACTS 1667 and 1678 all bodies were to be buried in wool only, unless they have died from the Plague and an affidavit sworn accordingly. The penalty for not doing so was £5. These were repealed in 1814.

It was decreed that:

"No corps should be buried in anything other than what is made of sheep's wool only; or put into any coffin lined or faced with any material but sheep's wool, on pain of forfeiture of £5."

In addition, an affidavit to that effect was required not later than 8 days after the burial.

The following transcripts (although not unique) were found in the Rothbury Parish Register.

"Elizab. Litster, Late of Low Trewitt, deceased, ye 2nd daughter of Edward Litser was buried in nothing but wooling accordyng to ye Act on ye behalf, as does appear by ye affidavit made by Edward Litster and John Vint to Mr. Thom. Collingwood, one of his Majs. Justice of ye Peace, and his certificate under his hand bearing date ye 2nd of 7br., 1678."

"Mary Storrey, of ye Craghead, was wrapt or wound up in nothing but woollen accdng to Stat. on ye behalfe, as appears by Affidavit made by Robt. Storry, ibid, to r. Thom. Hursley, in his certificate under his hand, bearing date ye 5th day 5br., 1678
        Bridget

Comment

I have several burials where it is remarked "buried in linen".

OC

Comment

I am probably being very thick now ...
            but what was it about the Plague that prevented them from being buried in wool?
            Or were they not 'laid out' to minimise infection?
            Bridget

Comment

Bridget

Plague victims were buried in a pit and covered with quick lime, as fast as possible. No time for laying out and all the other niceties of death.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC!
                So the Parish records show non plague deaths ...
                Bridget

Comment

So where were plague deaths recorded?

Hugo

Comment

Haphazardly, I should think. In some places practically the whole populace died.

Being educated in South Yorkshire (well it was the West Riding then), the Derbyshire village of Eyam featured in our history lessons.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I agree with UJ - in large towns and cities most plague deaths would go unrecorded in any organised way.

The more remote villages might fare a little better, with the Vicar recording later on, although in my mostly smal;l village researches I do not recall seeing a death from plague - either it never hit my villages or it went unrecorded in the general panic.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X