Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have royal connections!

Not really though!
    I have just discovered that my 4xG Grandfather, William Champ, was a royal servant. The 1851 Census says he was 'indoor servant to Her Majesty' and on the 1841 Census he and his wife were living in St. James' Palace.
    Does anyone know if it may be possible to find out more from official records?

No idea where they would be kept, but I imagine the household accounts of the period would provide information about how much he got paid etc..
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You are in good company - I photographed the Queen's chapel at St James Palace the other day (now in the wiki) & Tom said one of his family was a servant there.

(Someone asked about the Tower of London chapel St Peter ad Vincula recently, Tom has photographed this and its also in the wiki)
      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 30-08-08, 22:47. Reason: Tower of london

Comment

You're certain to find records. They're held at Windsor Castle - and when I got a comprehensive reply about servants who worked for the Duke of York in the early 1800's it arrived on the most exquisite headed paper in a lined envelope. It contained details of pay, dates, responsibilities - everything.

Write to:

The Royal Archives
        Round Tower
        Windsor Castle
        Windsor
        Berkshire SL4 1NJ
        Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 01-09-08, 22:51.
        Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Thanks for asking this - something I have been meaning to ask for a long time

As Jill said, my 3x great grandmother was a ladies maid in St. James' Palace in 1851. She was a ladies maid to Prince Albert's private secretaries wife.

Think I will write to them Paul... thanks for the tip. :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks for the address Paul. I'll write straight away - and let you know the results.

Comment

I have received a reply - on crested paper and in a crested envelope!!!

I was told that, unfortunately, the records were incomplete for the relevant period (1841-1850's) and no references were found for William Champ but a supplementary question about 4xggrandmother Elizabeth Champ produced a reference for an Elizabeth Champ as an assistant in the 'Ewry' in the Lord Stewards Department between 1839 and 1848. I was also told that I might find more information at Kew in 'The Court and City Register' and 'The Royal Kalendar'.

This news about Elizabeth helped me to find her death reference (there were three possibles) and confirmed that she was indeed William's wife.
              Meanwhile I received William's death cert on which he was described as a 'butler'.

A further letter about the Ewry was answered today with a photocopy from a book called 'Sketches of Her Majesty's Household 1848' in which the work of the Ewry was described.

The Registrar, Miss Clark, was most helpful.

Comment

Sounds like a good result for you!

Glad you've found some answers.

(Should I curtsey, as I type this in?? :D)

Bee.
                Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
                X